Alion

Updated December 9, 2014
2.6

Alion Chairman and CEO Bahman Atefi
Bahman Atefi

Pros
  • Extremely flexible work schedule, (in 6 reviews)

• HR and administrative support very efficient, flexibility with work schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management receives large bonuses despite poor performance (in 10 reviews)

• They expect you to invest in company stock, but it has gown down to under (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible Management in Nuclear Division... it's probably not going to last much longer.

Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Alion

Pros

Decent team of 10 engineers in Albuquerque. Some passionate employees. The QA program is solid.

Cons

Where do I begin... the biggest fault of this division is that there's hardly any new business being generated. All key management that searched for new business to keep the company viable have left. Potential projects that could really help the company keep falling apart and bids are lost. The division is falling apart financially. As a result, the employees suffer.

Speaking of which, the employees are the lowest priority of the company... there is virtually no way to move forward in the company and advance your career. Employees typically work 60+ hours a week with nothing more than a 'thanks'... it's pretty much expected since they're short staffed for the few projects that they have going on. It's a 'work work work... sit on your butt for a few weeks' environment. Don't even talk about raises... maybe $1000 a year at best in the years I've worked here.

After the recent shut down of the hydraulic lab, the future of the company isn't looking great. Primarily intended to do TEST-WORK for GSI-191, and contracting out all testing to 3rd party labs isn't a great combination. They furlough employees due to lack of work, then put them onto part-time so they don't have to continue paying benefits. A full office and laboratory trickled down to a handful of employees in three years time. Pretty sad.

Some other things worth mentioning that will really make a new employee's life hell:

The training program is a joke. They send out project documents for you to "read over" and sign a PDF to say you've self trained. There's no actual hands-on learning or examples to follow. There are no real procedures in place to enforce how tasks get completed. Everyone has a different way of doing things, which makes taking on people's projects absolute hell.

The file system is a mess, with terabytes and terabytes of data that is totally unorganized and worthless because the content creators have left the company. Files all have arbitrary names that makes searching past reports and test data near impossible. This company does NOT really learn from past mistakes, because there's really no good way to look them up.

Division Management is pretty terrible as well... highly involved when it comes to overviewing the project and having teleconference meetings, but then dissappear when it's over and work offsite doing their own thing... who know's what. In all my years of working as an engineer, I've never seen such poor management and lack of involvement in project tasks. Good luck!!

Get a clue, and start managing. Get a real training program for things like doing calculations, modeling, programming, etc... so that people can actually increase their skillset and increase their worth to the compnay. Invest in hiring employees that can find new business. Actually get involved in the work and projects you oversee, besides sitting on the sidelines and just being present for teleconferences and delegating tasks.

OK place

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ok place to work navy customer ok

Cons

Don't plan on this being a lifetime project, when funding goes you go out the door

Create an unpleasant atmosphere

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a friendly environment with nice people you work for and with.

Cons

The future of the company is uncertain and upper management is fighting to keep their jobs and get ride of the lower paid jobs.

If this company is considered employee owned then it should be treated as such.

No Future and No Hope

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers that were not part of the hire-the-buddy system. Those buddy types tend to be the non-contributors and sleepers, though as some see it....billable hours.

Cons

Senior Management could not be more inept and financially irresponsible. Stock price has fallen from a high in the $40’s to just over $2. Many of us long time employees have had our financial futures ruined.
    While employees have lost paid vacation and receive minimal raises senior management continues to vote themselves embarrassing high bonuses and raises. Why??
    Senior Management never sends their own emails to us so-called Employee-Owners. Instead they are sent on behalf of. What is up with that?
    Too many layers of management and way too many Assistant Vice Presidents. They should have a Department of Redundancy and Waste.

To our two new investors and board members......make senior management resign ASAP.

Financial Analyst

I have been working at Alion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can hardly think of a positive comment about this company.

Cons

- Inconsistency with rules and procedures
    - Lack of training
    - Unreasonable expectations
    - Lack of respect within the work environment
    - POOR MANAGEMENT

Treat your employees as human beings. Speaking to an employee in a condescending manner does not improve morale

Liked the work, not sure company knows direction to follow.

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting tasks to accomplish. The supervisors were always pleasent to me. I was always challenged to accomplish goals and was supported to attain them.

Cons

Company focused on winning only very large contracts which are very competitive. Focus on winning smaller contracts that will pay the bills.

Stagnant company with no upper management support.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a company with mainly contracts for the government so with the current government downsizing, it is still a way to work with the government.

Cons

The corporate company does not support it's staff. As an employee on one of these contracts you do not even know the names of the people in the company you could contact for support. Not HR, not payroll, not senior management. You are alone on the contract with no support, no growth, no room for advancement, no salary increases no matter how hard you work. Two years in a row with the best review in my team and no reward no salary increase no bonus nothing for all this work.

Reward employees at all levels for good work not just upper management.

Corporate Ineptness

Former Employee - Program Manager II in Quantico, VA
    Former Employee - Program Manager II in Quantico, VA

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people to the first level of supervision.

Cons

Have agreed with all previous post. This is not an 'employee owned company' except when it comes to accepting the loses. Early on the team wrote the response to an RFP. Then corporate decided we needed business development teams to do that. Winning percentage went way down hill and yet the BDT didn't get let go - the workers who were on the losing end did. Hired too many retiring colonels and generals who instead of making rain brought fraught, yet they were kept and the workers who earned their salary were let go. The current leadership took a great company with a great reputation and buried it. Thirteen years of contributing to the ESOP and I'll be lucky to see a dime.

Doesn't matter what I or any others say, its too late and they won't listen.

Corporate is destroying this company with bad decisions.

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people at my building, flexible work time, okay salary, relaxed environment with enough work to keep busy, no micromanagement.

Cons

No money to fund project needs, high expectations from corporate, disconnected company, every building for itself attitude, shrinking benefits, horrible 401k stock matching, no career advancement, poor training, Hiring lots of incompetent people to save money. Company is almost dead.

Corporate needs to communicate with the individual group divisions to learn from them instead of dictating what they want. Cutting back funding for overhead on actual needs isnt smart, its promoting a less technological advanced environment.

Former ALION Employee (12 years) (I first started with IITRI that changed to ALION.)

Former Employee - Senior Military Analyst in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Military Analyst in Hampton, VA

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joint ALION because in was customer and employee focused. Employee owned was a primary aspect.

Cons

I departed ALION when it lost in focus.

Take care of your employees first, and they will take care of your customers and profits.

Help the employees recovery their ALION retirement stock price by reducing costs.

Prove to the employees you care by eliminating the bonus costs and reducing your compensation packages.

Alion Photos