Alion Reviews

Jury is still out

Current Employee - Lead Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Analyst

I have been working at Alion

Pros

Flexible working schedule. Local management is aggressive and trying to win new work despite corporate leadership.

Cons

Poor corporate management too many stove pipes. Do not recognize prior experience. Little or no training available on company tools. Poor financial outlook. HR employees are automatically placed into the best benefits group. Too much fat at the top.

If you are bringing someone into the company in a development position give them the tools to do their job. Recognize/reward previous experience to attract the best talent.

2. senior principal systems Engineer

I worked at Alion

Pros

adequate support from program manager

Cons

off site difficult to interface with business development

Utilize expertise

Not that great....

Former Employee - Administration in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Administration in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at Alion

Pros

Salary was consistent with industry averages

Cons

Lack of accountability for mid level and senior management. Questionable management of ESOP with prefered and Family stock for senior management while normal employees received worthless stock grants.

Horrible Year in Alion

I have been working at Alion

Pros

There are no positives to working here

Cons

- Lack of work life balance
    - Aggressive environment
    - Lack of transparency
    - Resistant to change

Leasing Lexus for management but not paying your employees well doesn't seem very fair.

Treat Employees Well-ESOP is Near Criminal Theft

Former Employee - Senior Military Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Military Analyst

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting people in many interesting work environments. There can be mobility between groups/work centers. Supervisory philosophy is very good.

Cons

Alion management can be a bit reluctant to be technically adventurous. Upper management has essentially destroyed most of the value in employee 401Ks within the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Mine went from over $160K to just over $6K in value. Much of this appears to be due to over extension of credit in an attempt to grow quickly through acquisition. Many employee owners saw this as a hazard; the employee rep was removed from the board, partly over this, as the employees clearly "didn't understand." The great riddle is 'why is the same CEO in charge?' I suppose the answer is that the board is in his pocket. The lesson of Alion is to stay away from ESOP firms. SAIC may have been a fluke. Alion is certainly a lesson in how corporate governance doesn't protect employee owners.

I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like an ESOP that is in real trouble

Former Employee - Program Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There were some good colleagues for a little while when I started. One day I woke up and said "all my friends left for other opportunities" so I quickly found other employment that has been much better.

Cons

Read the SEC filings and draw your own conclusions. There are a lot of current and former employees that are very disappointed with the way the company has been run, and how the ESOP retirement funds have been decimated.

The C-Level managers really need to resign and be replaced by competent and qualified business leaders. Their compensation packages remain obscenely high, especially considering the very poor stock performance.

OK place

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Ok place to work navy customer ok

Cons

Don't plan on this being a lifetime project, when funding goes you go out the door

Terrible Management in Nuclear Division... it's probably not going to last much longer.

Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Alion

Pros

Decent team of 10 engineers in Albuquerque. Some passionate employees. The QA program is solid.

Cons

Where do I begin... the biggest fault of this division is that there's hardly any new business being generated. All key management that searched for new business to keep the company viable have left. Potential projects that could really help the company keep falling apart and bids are lost. The division is falling apart financially. As a result, the employees suffer.

Speaking of which, the employees are the lowest priority of the company... there is virtually no way to move forward in the company and advance your career. Employees typically work 60+ hours a week with nothing more than a 'thanks'... it's pretty much expected since they're short staffed for the few projects that they have going on. It's a 'work work work... sit on your butt for a few weeks' environment. Don't even talk about raises... maybe $1000 a year at best in the years I've worked here.

After the recent shut down of the hydraulic lab, the future of the company isn't looking great. Primarily intended to do TEST-WORK for GSI-191, and contracting out all testing to 3rd party labs isn't a great combination. They furlough employees due to lack of work, then put them onto part-time so they don't have to continue paying benefits. A full office and laboratory trickled down to a handful of employees in three years time. Pretty sad.

Some other things worth mentioning that will really make a new employee's life hell:

The training program is a joke. They send out project documents for you to "read over" and sign a PDF to say you've self trained. There's no actual hands-on learning or examples to follow. There are no real procedures in place to enforce how tasks get completed. Everyone has a different way of doing things, which makes taking on people's projects absolute hell.

The file system is a mess, with terabytes and terabytes of data that is totally unorganized and worthless because the content creators have left the company. Files all have arbitrary names that makes searching past reports and test data near impossible. This company does NOT really learn from past mistakes, because there's really no good way to look them up.

Division Management is pretty terrible as well... highly involved when it comes to overviewing the project and having teleconference meetings, but then dissappear when it's over and work offsite doing their own thing... who know's what. In all my years of working as an engineer, I've never seen such poor management and lack of involvement in project tasks. Good luck!!

Get a clue, and start managing. Get a real training program for things like doing calculations, modeling, programming, etc... so that people can actually increase their skillset and increase their worth to the compnay. Invest in hiring employees that can find new business. Actually get involved in the work and projects you oversee, besides sitting on the sidelines and just being present for teleconferences and delegating tasks.

Create an unpleasant atmosphere

Current Employee - Finance
    Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a friendly environment with nice people you work for and with.

Cons

The future of the company is uncertain and upper management is fighting to keep their jobs and get ride of the lower paid jobs.

If this company is considered employee owned then it should be treated as such.

11. Liked the work, not sure company knows direction to follow.

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting tasks to accomplish. The supervisors were always pleasent to me. I was always challenged to accomplish goals and was supported to attain them.

Cons

Company focused on winning only very large contracts which are very competitive. Focus on winning smaller contracts that will pay the bills.

Alion Photos