Alion

Updated October 1, 2014
2.5

Alion Chairman and CEO Bahman Atefi
Bahman Atefi

Pros
  • Extremely flexible work schedule, (in 6 reviews)

• HR and administrative support very efficient, flexibility with work schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management receives large bonuses despite poor performance (in 10 reviews)

• They expect you to invest in company stock, but it has gown down to under (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So far so good..........

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work, regular hours, decent pay, concerned managers on the overall....good coworkers, customers (the government) can drive you insane but overall they are a good group of people.

Cons

My manager is too down in the weeds, he needs to be concerned more on customer (the government) needs and the managing of his personnel then on the product we deliver which has not been complained about. Your now a manager.......manage.

Develop your subordinates to improve and move up to replace you..............

Corporate is destroying this company with bad decisions.

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people at my building, flexible work time, okay salary, relaxed environment with enough work to keep busy, no micromanagement.

Cons

No money to fund project needs, high expectations from corporate, disconnected company, every building for itself attitude, shrinking benefits, horrible 401k stock matching, no career advancement, poor training, Hiring lots of incompetent people to save money. Company is almost dead.

Corporate needs to communicate with the individual group divisions to learn from them instead of dictating what they want. Cutting back funding for overhead on actual needs isnt smart, its promoting a less technological advanced environment.

CEO is Worthless; Company/People are Good.

Current Employee - Engineer Lead in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer Lead in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work is interesting. Over 50% of people are individual contributors, rather than "seat fillers". Office culture is slowly becoming more modernized.

Cons

CEO and board of directors are unethical, poor "leaders", and have driven the company into the ground by mismanaging overhead, paying themselves exorbinant compensations packages despite not having turned a profit for at least 8 years, if ever (that's as far back in the SEC filings that I looked. Employee Stock Ownership at this company is a crock. 2014, CEO took a 5% raise, with well over $2M in comensation, while the company is on the verge of bankruptcy average salary increases were 1% last year, and benefits packages were decreased. Alion is losing talent to other companies to other companies who haven't squandered their revenue and can afford to compensate the people who are actually generating revenue, and I am next to go.

Apologize for extorting your employees! On whose backs you profit. Pay back the money you took from them through your self-paid phantom stock program (and/or other special stock), which you liquidated before you let the stock price plummet. Stop having the company pay for the CEO's car and Country Club Membership. Have the CEO come and talk to the employees - this hasn't been done is several years, I'm assuming because he's a coward.

Failing company. Will not be around to see the next decade.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is decent and can be flexible with work-home schedule. Health benefits are decent even after sequestration and cutbacks. Some managers will look out for you in harsh times if they know you have value.

Cons

1. No chance for advancement. They don't promote from within.
    2. The ESOP program is an joke. Why invest in a company that has had its stock price drop to dirt bottom since 2007? Better off matching the money in a real 401(k) plan. Don't expect to retire off the KSOP/ESOP wealthy.
    3. Employees with 6 figure salaries that are in positions that should payed well below.
    4. Under qualified employees tasked on projects resulting in golden hammer solutions that are developed with technology that is no longer used and supported abroad.
    5. Thrown off projects before they are finished.
    6. Skilled employees get added to projects long after the train derailed.

Get a PMI certification, it should be an absolute must even if you manage 1 person.

Former Test Engineer in name only for two years.

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- I met a few nice co-workers that were great informal mentors, and one was kind enough to organize a departure lunch for me on my last day of work, which I definitely appreciated.
    - It was a job that paid the bills and allowed my wife and I to live a decent enough life.

Cons

Now that I've taken enough time to marinate and reflect since leaving two years ago, where do I even begin to start? For perspective, I only have two lines on my current resume describing what I did in two years here at this company, as opposed to at least four lines for my other career stops (to date, none of my other career stops have been more than two years).

I will admit that this section is a little biased from reading the other reviews of this company, but I tended to concur with them anyway. I didn't know that the company hadn't posted a profit since 2002 until reading the other reviews, and I am honestly not surprised. The whole idea of "employee-ownership" via ESOP in lieu of a traditional 401k is a farce that clearly benefits senior management at the expense of the common employee by tying your savings to company stock while the common employee has little to no say in the workings of the company.

Speaking for my project, I was already looking for my next job four months in. The tipping point was when I was asked to travel to the west coast for a test project. I am a "Test Engineer", right? The trip only took three days when it was originally for one week, and I was sent home because there was nothing to do (determined only after I got there, because a key engineer never showed up). What's more, I had to spend a month on corrective paperwork because I had made a two-dollar mistake on my travel expense report. Imagine all the hours and cost spent on overhead just to get two dollars corrected. The rest of my time at the company was spent in meetings and reviewing documents on client site. After two years, I feel safe enough saying that I did nothing that even describes what a "Test Engineer" does; it was more important to show up to work at a certain time, not fall asleep, dress a certain way, behave a certain way, do things a certain way...than it was to do meaningful work correctly.

It certainly seems like there was a pervasive culture that gave the impression that upper management only cared about their paychecks and not their actual jobs. The advice I got on more than one occasion from my immediate supervisor whenever I asked about being more involved in meaningful work opportunities was, "you gotta push yourself in more". That pretty much sums up my impression of the culture at this company, whether at a company office or on client site. All signs continue to point towards an inept and directionless upper management who continue to take home large bonuses despite the company's not-so-stellar financial performance, so there aren't many resources left for career advancement opportunities (never had an opportunity for promotion), pay raises (only got one 1% raise in my time there), PTO, etc. for the common employee.

Have things changed since then? Obviously, I don't know the big picture, so I can't say for sure if things are a result of choices made by the folks in charge (whether it was upper management or the government client) or if they are the result of the recent and still ongoing downturn in the economy. Only time will tell.

I've never held a managerial position, so I'm not sure how much weight my advice is going to carry, let alone have any idea where to start. I guess there should be more two-way accountability between all levels of management and more open door policies. What does upper management have to hide from entry level and mid level employees? Because whatever they were doing at the moment hasn't been working for a while. That's up to you to decide.

Shameful nepotism and cronyism are rampant

Former Employee - Data Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Data Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Short commute to the centrally located offices I cannot think of anything else positive to say about this employment experience.

Cons

Children, spouses and "friends" of current managers are being hired for positions whether qualified or not. For a position that required a college degree a child of a manager was hired and I got laid off. He had one semester of college before he dropped out. Shameful. Low pay.

It is a disservice to your clients to hire friends and family and let qualified people get laid off or not given a chance to shine/get promoted.

Good company, good people, great work!

Former Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The diversity of the work was interesting, the two teams for which I worked were composed of great people, the benefits were good (including a sign-on bonus), and there was a nice corporate atmosphere -- management was concerned about not only the business, but the employees and their career advancement.

Cons

Ultimately, there were some divisional problems with business development leading to the lay off of personnel, but these have since been corrected.

A company with some great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some really good people who work there, with years of experience in their field, that care about there fellow employees and really try hard to make the customer satisfied. They have some really good team players at Alion.

Cons

Management needs to look more closely at attendance. Need to work on positive reinforcement. They need better communication to the employee staff on the bottom and communicate down the ladder in a positive way.

Actions speak louder than words. There are performers and riders. Pay more attention to employee attendance. Develop a motivation campaign for the employees and the company image.

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Generally positive people
    -Technical staff know what they're doing and are competent in their field

Cons

-The company declined to pay me for 10 hours of overtime worked when I was asked to work 40 hours of overtime in one pay period.
    -Overtime is straight time, not time and a half.
    -The company asked me to be involved in a competitor's lawsuit instead of issuing a blanket statement.
    -The company is refinancing.
    -They expect you to invest in company stock, but it has gown down to under $10.
    -They do not pay for tools to access the Internet at client site, and they remove VPN access if not active after a certain time.

Do not tell people they will be getting time and a half when they won't.

Experience was good under Anteon Corporation but became more employee unfriendly after Alion acquisition.

Former Employee - Senior PROGRAM PLANNING CONTROL ANALYST in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior PROGRAM PLANNING CONTROL ANALYST in Washington, DC

I worked at Alion full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Location is good and very local to get to and accessible to other business such as food and other stores.

Cons

HR needs improvement to help employees and former employees find jobs in the company.

HR needs to do a better job of helping employees and former employees to find positions within the company.

Alion Photos