Alkermes Reviews

Updated March 15, 2015
23 reviews filtered by

Great company, solid pipeline, lots of room for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Alkermes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers flexible work arrangements, room for growth, a highly collaborative atmosphere, a solid pipeline, and an approach rooted in science but run for a long term profit.

Cons

It's not always clear how the different parts of the company can work together given the different cultures at the different locations.

Improve vertical communication among layers.

Chance to make an impact.

Current Employee - Scientist in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Scientist in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Alkermes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Data driven. Results oriented. Technical challenges abound. Input is valued.

Cons

More QA than one would expect.

Stay aggressive with development programs. Keep a handle on the Quality Systems, but watch for trival wasted efforts that don't add value.

Decent place to start your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alkermes full-time

Pros

- Decent pay & good benefits package
    - Location was great; at the center of the biotech scene in MA
    - Hired a lot of young people, which made the workplace fun and exciting even though the work wasn't

Cons

- Too clicky and senior managers seemed to play favorites
    - A lot of politics
    - Wish I learned more of the science behind things; live and die by SOP's
    - Silo'd at times; tough to do things outside-the-box (unless you were one of the favorites)

Solid workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Alkermes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great workplace, very supportive of family and life balancing. Solid benefits and competitive salary. Friendly people. Small pharmaceutical culture/atmosphere

Cons

The merger with Elan is taking time to balance the corporate cultures. Turnover trends low which can limit opportunity as growth is slow.

Good place to grow strong impact on helping me develop.

Former Employee - Mechanic in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Wilmington, OH

I worked at Alkermes

Pros

Great Benefits
    Good Pay
    Good People

Cons

Micro Managing
    Very Demanding
    Long Drive

7. Nice

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Alkermes

Pros

Good pay, good company culture

Cons

Management needs to understand people can learn.

Good science but not a great place to work.

I worked at Alkermes

Pros

Interesting pipeline and technology. Employees are generally friendly and collaborative. Casual work environment.

Cons

Top-down communication is poor. You're either liked and promoted or dis-liked and included in the yearly layoff. Little spent on professional growth and training.

Increase communication and exchange of information at all levels.

The workplace that you've always wanted to be at.

Current Employee - IT in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - IT in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at Alkermes

Pros

The company has a lot of respect for their workers in general. You are treated very fairly, and they make it so that you are happy to get up and go to work in the mornings. Good co-workers, pleasant work atmosphere. We have managers that actually take the time to get out and work with and for you. You can guarantee that you have good represenation as to your wants, needs, and expectations as they make their way up to the senior management level. You can actually enjoy your job and do a good job that is helping make a difference in a lot of peoples lives.

Cons

If I find any downsides, I'll be sure to post them. In general, there aren't any real downsides as I see them. There is always that person or two that you wish you didn't have to work with as they have no people skills, but you do your time and deal with these people the best way you can. It isn't too hard keeping a smile on your face as you know you'll soon be done. You could consider the location of the company a downside for a lot of employee's, as there are quite a few that make quite a long drive to just work here.

Keep up the good work. I know there have been rocky times, but I see you leading us to a bright future.

10. no career development/training, poor benefits and compensation

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alkermes

Pros

they practice good science -

Cons

No career development/training, poor benefits and compensation. Poor strategy by management (that recently made a mass exodus) left the company with not much of a future in their pipeline.

Invest in your employees, train Directors/ADs/senior scientists in basic management skills. Improve HR function in the organization- increase activities, training and career development programs at all levels of the organization, benefits, team building activities, etc.

Good company in many ways, but consider very carefully whether you will fit in...

I worked at Alkermes

Pros

Alkermes R&D has an exceptional team of talented scientists, lead by a senior management team that is very strong scientifically. Salary and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Alkermes has a top-down command-and-control culture, with too much micromanagement and not enough empowerment/trust. Individuals who question the status quo or do not instantly align themselves 100% with the prevailing senior management position are quickly marginalized (or worse), even when they have valid reasons for taking an alternative view and have the best interests of the company at heart. Such individuals have no hope of rehabilitation. For middle management roles in R&D, political adeptness is far more important for career success than scientific/technical/managerial ability.

Value middle management more, listen to their opinions and lever their experience/expertise. Give them realistic objectives, empower and trust them to deliver, and they will produce ever greater success for the company.