All Books & Company

1 Review
5.0
1 Review

CEO

I love every aspect of the work but I need to get paid in MONEY, too.

Current Employee - Owner of An Independent Book Shop in Summerville, SC
    Current Employee - Owner of An Independent Book Shop in Summerville, SC

I have been working at All Books & Company

Pros

BOOKSELLERS' CONVENTIONS:
    (a) Meeting and getting to know my favorite writers - the life long favorites I've been reading for years and the new ones I am excited to start reading today! Seeing them through the years.
    (b) Meeting politicians, performers, chefs, generals, musicians, cartoonists, etc. who have autobiographies/cookbooks/self-help/collections/etc. hitting the shelves. If you think of a bestselling-or-celebrity author of the last fifteen years; I've about a one in ten chance of having met'em: Hillary Clinton, Colin Powell, Newt Gingrich, Nora Roberts, Charles Frazier, Orson Scott Card, Linda McCartney, and so many more. Oh, and THE Sweet Potato Queen.
    (c) Bringing the news of new writers and new books by seasoned favorites back to Summerville to share with friends and customers.
    NEW READERS:
    (a) Children on the cusp of learning to read are a joy to behold. I adore their precious reactions as they discover and comprehend the fascinating world of literature waiting for them.
    (b) The journey of an adult who has "never much cared for reading" is a challenge to me; and, potentially very gratifying for me. I am on my mettle to find books to whet, hold, and increase his interest to the point of hearing: I AM A READER.

Cons

I was unable to maintain my necessary working hours when physical and monetary problems arose. Cash flow was too low to hire the necessary labor to maintain the business.
    I wish to re-open my book shop at some near date, if possible.

Try to think a way to make an independent book shop relevant to your community, but do NOT continue to feel as if you owe your town an Independent Book Shop:
    YOU may love what you do for the COMMUNITY and some may APPRECIATE YOU;
    BUT if the COMMUNITY will not provide you with an ADEQUATE LIVING, you should move on.

All Books & Company Photos