All Children's Hospital

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Dr. Jonathan Ellen, MD

What they do for children is amazing.

Child Life (Former Employee)

I worked at All Children's Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe care for pediatric patients is amazing, and everyone is there for a common goal - to save lives.

ConsLack of communication between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that management has medical background as well.

Potential, but not where they should be

I worked at All Children's Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe front line nurses, therapists, social workers, and others are hard-working, passionate and dedicated. I learned a lot during my time there.

ConsManagement could improve. "Golden children" were promoted above others who often worked harder and were more effective. The Goldens were often advanced to maximum salary with minimum effort and were aware that they could get away with pretty much anything. Not much chance for internal advancement. Physicians would take out frustrations by harassing staff. One might get "paid in sunshine" but sunshine won't pay the bills. In some areas, the salaries were among the lowest in the nation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe nurses, therapists, social workers and support staff are the face of All Children's. Treat and pay them accordingly. Work on evidence-based medicine and care. Foster an environment that is more respectful and inclusive of the families, instead of ridiculing and demeaning them behind their backs. (Not everyone did this, but enough that it was noticed). Also, realize that employees are entitled to a life outside of All Children's.

Former 18 year employee.

RRT (Former Employee)
Saint Pete, FL

I worked at All Children's Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome coworkers. Dedicated in the trenched, although having to deal with issues that have no place in a hospital. Worked for Dept. where 25 year director is now gone, to a hospital with the worst reputation in the county (and as a grunt therapist, no longer mgt.). Guess running a professional department like a fraternity house finally caught up to him. Employees who harass, who play games, who hide and avoid work, while others are overwhelmed in the units were covered for since the didn't use sick time (childless men, or "alternative" lifestyle men). Women were treated like 2nd class citizens. Complaints were met with "let's discard the past and go forward, today is a new beginning" yeah, like that made any difference. Post-Sexton CEO began to institute change and I hear John Hopkins has really shaken the place up. Although a few old time managers still need to go.

ConsHaving to deal with b.s. that has no place in hospital. Make wages competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit covering for employees who "quit on the job years ago", just doing enough to get by. Trim more of the dead wood, who by the virtue of being there a decade or two, feel entitled to do as they please instead of supporting or working in a collaborative approach. Wages: Sexton said we should feel privileged working at ACH. Privilege doesn't buy groceries.

Awesome benefits!!!!

Office Assistant Ll (Current Employee)

I have been working at All Children's Hospital for more than 3 years

ProsNetworking is a plus, teaching hospital so plenty room for advancement.

ConsBecause is a teaching hospital salary is not great.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive with wages

Unsafe practices regarding excessive floating that is expected of us

NeoNatal Intensive Care, 33 Yrs Exp (Current Employee)

I have been working at All Children's Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

ProsReally..none ...
 I am in the process of resigning...very unsafe

ConsNICU nurses have been staffing the CVICU for ~ 3 mos now....we are NOT trained in this specialty area, yet, we are required to float there shift after shift..taking patients with pacer wires, fresh post-ops, fresh cardiac caths.. They would NEVER allow a new nurse to walk in and take the patients we have to care for,..but somehow, its OK for a NICU nurse. They play by the "a nurse is a nurse is a nurse" rule. One float experience, there were 3 NICU nurses ..all floated to CVIC. My "resourse" was another NICU nurse..??

Advice to Senior ManagementAbsolutely asinine "rules" regarding NICU floating..per diem staff ALWAYS float...There are FT nurses that have not floated in 10 yrs., but per diem float ALWAYS..even when they send out a call for any staff to work , due to busy unit, shortages..They let the over time people work , and send out the regularly scheduled per diem to staff CVICU. Pay for per diem is the lowest of the 3 Fl. NICU's I have worked at. Never a raise in 5 yrs...not even cost of living.

Great place that doesn't pay

I worked at All Children's Hospital

ProsSo much good work is done here by everyone. Great learning environment that provides amazing care to the sickest children

ConsHowever, despite the former CEO's adage that it's a privledge to work there and you get paid in "sunshine" at the end of the day, you have to feel like you are cared for. Which you aren't

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with local salaries!

Does not follow Evidence Based Care in NICU

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at All Children's Hospital full-time for more than a year

ProsSelf scheduling. Your request is usually met unless one of the golden nurses wants it.

ConsThe NICU is bigger than they can manage. Too little attention is given to appropriate nurse to neonate assignments and evidence based practice is not being followed. For example: Ampicillin is not supposed to be run through the same line as Dextrose and Amino Acids. TPN is full of Dextrose and Amino Acids and they continue to run them together even when I showed them in Neofax that is was not compatible. There are many more examples. In addition, there is a group of nurses that always get the assignments that they want and never give others the opportunity to get the experience with the more critical patients. Co-workers are rude and there is very little team work. Pumps and alarms would go off all night before another nurse would check on it if it wasn't their assigned baby. Sad....just sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about some team building activities and some better understanding of what evidenced based nursing is!

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

I worked at All Children's Hospital full-time

ProsVery dedicated and caring front-line staff who are focused on the core mission of helping sick children and their families.

ConsLots of politics and back stabbing among some senior managers. This has gotten worse since the acquisition by Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe board should hire a proven CEO from a top rated children’s hospital, versus the current plan of just installing someone from Johns Hopkins Medicine.

Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at All Children's Hospital

ProsThe patients; the work; the name.

ConsLack of promotional opportunities and formal recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees. They are the institution.

I want to come back and work for ACH, but won't make enough money

Occupational Therapist (Former Employee)

I worked at All Children's Hospital

ProsGreat communication from upper management, good teamwork atmosphere, easy to use computer systems for paperwork. Great benefits. Good opportunities to transfer to other centers, pick up extra work as enhanced compensations.

ConsLower pay than surrounding areas in working with pediatrics. If you work at a satellite center, you miss out on a lot of the happenings at the main hospital. Tend to feel like you aren't a part of the entire system sometimes. They have special parties and events for the main hospital staff and they rarely do events for the satellite centers...I think once a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease hourly.salary rate to maintain your great employees

Worked for All Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at All Children's Hospital reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for All Children's Hospital CEO Dr. Jonathan Ellen, MD. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by All Children's Hospital employees.