All Star Directories, Inc.

www.allstardirectories.com

2.6
Doug Brown

1. We are growing again.

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc.

Pros

Since becoming employee-owned, the company has had more oomph behind it. Not only are we taking IO back from our competitors, we are also cultivating new business. Sites are having their content updated by real people. Fourteen months of positive EBITDA is a great feeling!

People are generally helpful, if not necessarily proactive.

When considering new office location, input was sought from EVERYONE. Not surprisingly, the concern was commute time. The new location should be an improvement for nearly everyone.

Medical, dental coverages are good.

Fresh fruit, tea/coffee/soda and all the delicious sheet cake you can eat.

Cons

The business has a lot of moving parts. Errors introduced by one department remain until another department catches it days to weeks later. I do not feel like we're investing effort to prevent these.

There have been awkward departures of employees who was ill-suited/unhappy in their role.

Not so All Star ASD

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc.

Pros

As stated by other reviewers, the greatest strength of the company is the warm and up-beat non-managerial personnel.

The benefits package is above average for the size of the company and the small amenities such as soda and fruit are nice. However, the company politics are in such disarray that these do little to assuage discontent.

Cons

Whatever momentum the company has gained was during the exploitative years before government compliance mandates forced the for-profit industry to not conduct misleading marketing practices to students. Since this deceptive period, the company has retracted and survived through layoffs. After these periods, it wasn’t irregular for the management to boast months later within company meetings about the operating costs dropping drastically over previous quarters. What keeps All Stars alive today isn’t the strength of its own efforts, but from the smaller companies in the industry falling and surrendering market share.

Much of the leadership in the company is saturated in ego and an air of infallibility. Leadership is mostly done through manipulation and passive aggressive threats rather than integrity, vision and charisma. Management has an open-door policy to grant the perception of approachability, however their ears are deaf and they’re poised to render judgement in this forum. It's most likely this area that is the reason for such high turnover in the company. With no accountability, no changes can be expected in the near future.

There is very little communication between departments; instead leadership fosters a culture that creates barriers and assigns guilt externally. This poor communication and combative environment caused many mistakes that went undiscovered for weeks. However, management assigned guilt rather than an awareness of the poor communication that caused the issue to begin with.

Advice to Management

- Take responsibility for your actions and swallow your pride.
    - Award employees based off their diligence and performance.
    - Render judgement only when all the facts have been collected.
    - Don’t rely on hollow ploys and manipulation to win over your employees.

Don't waste your time!

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc.

Pros

Nice location, decent benefits, stocked drink fridge

Cons

I don't know how this company stays in business. Decisions are driven by emotion and politics. Very weak leadership overall. The worst part is that the product is not effective. The business model and approach is very outdated and this company does not seem to have a strategy for continued relevancy. Look at their sites, time warp to 1990.

Advice to Management

Get out of your offices and understand the day to day operations.

The Worst Company! Don't Believe The Hype!

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefit package, nice location, super laid back atmosphere (if you are into being in slacker central)

Cons

Management is clueless and offer no direction or vision. Leadership is non-existent. The "product" is a joke, look at the sites. They are dated and it is surprising that customers continue to use this platform. There does not seem to be a substantive plan for continued relevancy. I don't see this company standing the test of time.

Advice to Management

Get a clue! So much wasted time, I don't know how this place survives. Focus more on actual work than this play pen atmosphere.

Great Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc.

Pros

ASD is one of the best places I have ever worked. The upper management have an open door policy. This company likes to promote from within when possible. They have had a rough few years with industry contraction and have come out of it with an employee owned startupy feel. There are a lot of team building, fun events that contribute to a familial culture.
    Location, location, location!

Cons

There is not a high growth organization so head room is minimal. Still a great place to work in spite of this.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees. Keep up the great work!

A GREAT place to work!

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers! Friendly, open door policy with everyone here. No clicks. Departments work well together. GREAT medical and dental programs. The company is growing and improving financially as a result of everyone pulling together and responding to the excellent leadership and vision by our current senior staff. They care. Specifically, Doug Brown, our CEO and President cares. This company has a heart and a good moral compass. We're not just doing this to make money. We genuinely believe that we can make a difference in our world.

Cons

The past wasn't always so pretty. We made some bad decisions along the way and didn't bring the right people on board. That set us back a little bit. But thankfully we've learned from our mistakes and are now charging ahead full steam.

Advice to Management

Keep the current culture intact and keep doing what you are doing. It's amazing how good things are here right now!

Challenging but satisfying

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific views, great location, outstanding benefits, most co-workers are very nice and considerate. Certain clients are a dream to work with.

Cons

Account management can be very stressful. A massive development project was completely off schedule and when finished provided questionable value to the company. Management changes direction frequently.

Advice to Management

Fire non-performers faster.

How does this business stay afloat?

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mandatory Fun Committee that plans fun events for employees (parties, ping-pong tournaments, mini-golf tournaments, scavenger hunts, holiday parties)
    Birthday cake on your birthday
    Located on downtown waterfront with view of Elliott Bay
    Most people are friendly but not necessarily outgoing
    Free fresh fruit everyday
    Decent pay
    Seems to be ethical compared with other businesses in the same industry

Cons

Open pit of cubes that can be loud when people get chatty
    Talking behind people's backs; lots of closed door conversations
    No process in place for department that could easily be a well-oiled machine
    Managers with low emotional quotient (can't look you in the eye if there's an issue with your work, can't express what they want from you)
    Little feedback given; no expectations set or communicated to employees
    Manager always seems frustrated with other departments; seems to be doing lots of "busy work" but has nothing to show at the end of the day
    Not enough resources given to what is one of the most essential departments
    High turnover -- here today, gone tomorrow with no warning of layoffs. Layoffs of regular staff to bring in contractors. Employees seem to be disposable (senior staff and others).
    Poor quality of work given to customers
    Promoting people to jobs they're not skilled at
    Young staff -- many have been there 2 years or less

Advice to Management

Tell employees what you want, set expectations, provide ongoing feedback, involve employees in decision making

Do not work here

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has had many well qualified junior / senior leaders - particularly in technology and marketing

Cons

Doug Brown, CEO has been leading this company for years and it shows. Mr. Brown spends his entire day in his office surfing the web on subjects completely unrelated to the business. He rarely engages the staff and when he does he demonstrates his complete lack of understanding for the medium of his own company. He lacks vision, strategy, consumer awareness, industry expertise, technology comprehension or organizational leadership.

This company has no chance for survival. It's core assets have completely depreciated and it is existing on razor thin arbitrage.
    As the for scam EDU industry continues to be simultaneously attacked by regulators and Google, the best All Star can do is give its staff time to find alternative employment.
    Senior executives come and go like its a turnstile, not because if their capabilities rather because of the absence of any from the CEO

Advice to Management

Doug Brown should retire

Very suppressive work environment, not a lot of room for growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are heavy into data so you can learn a lot. The location is nice.

Cons

They release employees regularly and you're always fighting to climb out of a hole rather than innovating to move forward. The in-office culture seems very catty. Management seems to conflict a lot on their views which doesn't help the company move forward.

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom to help guide the company instead of handing them task lists of what and how to do it.

RSS Feed </> Embed