Allegheny Health Network

2.5

John W. Paul

IT Manager

I worked at Allegheny Health Network

Pros

Good work life balance.
    Most of people you work with are nice and competent.

Cons

Office Politics and out dated technology.

Not the best yet

I have been working at Allegheny Health Network

Pros

If you like to be busy, this is the place. They are integrating all their hospitals to one system, so there is a lot of work to do.

Cons

Not great pay, lots of politics, and they ask for significant commitment to their vision. Things change often, like any large organization.

Read All the Reviews Before Accepting a Position With Allegheny Health Network

I have been working at Allegheny Health Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, nothing great - just decent

Cons

Zero communication from management as well as between staff. Managers are less than qualified and are extremely over burdened. Purchasing is a joke, it takes forever to receive common items that are stocked at local businesses. There is no petty cash or operationg capital of any kind to allow for purchasing supplies necessary for the day-to-day operation of a multi-million dollar corporation.

Your employees are qualified professionals capable of performing their duties with little to no supervision. Streamline your purchasing and allow employees to purchase what they need to do their jobs. Give employees the reigns and let them make decisions how best to perform their duties, you might be ssurprised how well the business runs once you stop micromanaging.

Do not work at Ortho unless your the boss friend

I worked at Allegheny Health Network

Pros

Employees are helpful and kind. Employees work as a team.

Cons

Employees quit monthy. Supervisor of Department plays favorites and if you not one your bullied until you quit. Can't go to human resources. They Cover for her.

Management doesn't care about employees. They know of all the complaints and do nothing. When I was there, my first 2 weeks, 3 people left. Tried calling all HR and no response. The huddle are a waste of time. Managent is a joke.

Hostile work environment with unqualified management. Zero willingness to train staff

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Allegheny Health Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent level pay for entry level but still below the national average for medical assistants/EKG technicians/ Phlebotomists. Close to home. That is it.

Cons

Perhaps the worst thing about was the people I've worked with. Toxic staff and a high turnover rate. No one says "hello" or anything, everyone looks so miserable. Training is non existent, they leave you to your own devices and when something goes wrong, prepare to get chewed out by your peers, who would rather wander around AGH and the managers were either oblivious or just didn't care. The Daily Huddles were a joke, I was told they were meant to inspire the staff but it ended up being a statement from Highmark commanding us what they want. Communication within the network was laughable, different departments arguing and finger pointing was a daily occurrence. Rudeness and condescending attitudes towards patients was a big thing, even my first day, favoritism was also big here. I'm not sure what Allegany Health Network is trying to pull with they're new image but they should have an honest name such as: We Are Owned By Highmark. Glad I'm out of there, so much negativity.

Get rid of the poisonous people who probably cause these high turnover rates and stop trying to be friends with the staff, act like a educated and trained professional.

Aide

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natrona Heights, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Natrona Heights, PA

I have been working at Allegheny Health Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good solid non stop work-out in an 8 hr shift.

Cons

Low pay, inept upper management and they use you as a work horse for 8 hrs to do non stop physical labor with no breaks -except for 30 min lunch (if that). If you like to make no money, work every other weekend, along with holidays, and crappy benefits than this is the job for you. Go buy your own uniforms and park off site in the ghetto and get bussed in. Also pay your own exorbitant prices in the cafeteria for the crappy food. One aide to 24 patients. Need I say more???????????????????

Give some praise to good workers! Stop pulling them into the office for non essential things and nit picking on good employees. Lastly, pay your workers a decent salary and then and only then you keep them.

Hostile Toxic Environment following Merger/Takeover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Allegheny Health Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were OK but not fair. One year following Highmark takeover the benefits are still not the same between new hires and old employees. For example, "old" employees have no 401K match, but new employees do!

Cons

Hostile takeover by Highmark. Management does not listen to or speak to the old WPAHS employees. No opportunities for growth. Old employees were treated with disrespect following takeover. New Highmark management team virtually ignored "old" employees and hired outside the organization instead of promoting from within. This treatment is fostered throughout the organization. There are still valuable employees throughout the health system that do bring value to the organization. Avoid working here if you can.

Investigate, evaluate, listen, and learn! Hire competent management team.

No room for advancement

Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Allegheny Health Network full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good health benefits
    reasonable hours
    helping people

Cons

extremely poor communication, no room to develop, virtually no training.

Focus on trainig employees to do things right instead of training other employees to correct errors.

It was a challenging experience due to weak staffing.

Former Employee - Pharmacist
    Former Employee - Pharmacist

I worked at Allegheny Health Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Seems to be a more stable environment versus a couple years ago. Pharmacy staff is trying to perform tasks and does not have a heavy work load typically.

Cons

Very weak leadership. Most of managers are way over their head. Pay is below average and most of the time employees are just hanging on in the hopes of getting their pension. Good luck!

Hire stronger management. Health system will never pull out of their position with this staff.

Downstaffed and jerked around

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Allegheny Health Network full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Close to where I live and it's not UPMC. I do think the individuals in the company do a good job treating patients.

Cons

For the past 7 years I've been downstaffed significantly on a regular basis. Just when I think I'll finally be able to get the hours I was hired for we're downstaffed for weeks at a time again. To add insult to injury I don't even know when I'm coming in to work until the day before and I don't know when I'm going to be sent home from work until minutes before I'm sent home. Some weeks I've had as little 12 hours.

When we actually get busy I'm obligated to work past the end of my work shift, in violation of PA Act 102, which jeopardizes my husband's job as he can't leave our child until I'm home. If other AHN sites need help I'm required to go to them no matter how far away they are and I'm certainly not paid for the time it takes to get to these sites. There is also no consideration given for how much longer it takes me to get home; if I have to drive 90 minutes after the end of my shift my husband will, once again, be late for his job. What I've been told is that if I don't go it's the same as a "No call, no show."

There is also no consistency in setting or enforcing rules as to who is downstaffed or who is sent where. One day we're taking turns - until someone management likes complains. Then the "rules" are turned inside out to make sure the "squeaky wheel" gets what they want - as long as you're liked. Promotions are non-existent unless you've worked closely with senior management. The culture is unfair and abusive. The attitude is that one should be happy to have a job, so shut up. Add in that there is no 403b match, raises are small, and the benefits are expensive and this is not a place I would recommend to anyone who isn't willing to be treated like they're worthless.

You can force people to do things for a time. I wouldn't expect anything but robotic obedience when this is the case. Your complete disregard for employees and the continued pounding on them and their lives leads to stressed unhappy employees. The chant is that "patients come first." I don't know how you expect employees to focus on the patient when they can't cover their bills and don't know what they're doing from day to day.