Allegro Development

8 years and counting

Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Below are the pros that I have experienced in the 8 years I have been here. During this time I have worked in several departments.
    -Level of industry knowledge within the organization. Whether on a project or working from the office, you have access to people that know the product and the industry inside and out.
    -Benefits and treatment of employees is OUTSTANDING. We are treated very, very well.
    -Education opportunities on the industry and our software product is available from day one in multiple mediums.
    -We are always growing.
    -Ability to transfer within the organization to other departments
    -We have a great product that is always evolving to fit our customers needs
    -Feeling of job security and stability
    -Management can recognize people that work hard and are customer focused. "Bad seeds" won't grow here or last long.
    -Transitions at the executive level are very smooth compared to what I have seen at other organizations. We are always informed on what is going on, and what to expect.
    -My managers make me feel like my work is valuable, that my work benefits our customers, and that I matter to our department.

If you are an interview candidate, I strongly recommend Allegro. The opportunity for growth, the comfort and stability of being employed here, as well as the overall treatment of employees is something I haven't seen at other corporations. In my time, I haven't once considered leaving.

Cons

Its not really a con, but we work very hard. Certain crunch times such as a new version release, new component development, etc can be draining. But that will occur at any company. The upside at Allegro is that we work hard, but we also play hard.

the open communication, town halls and dedication to keeping employees happy (and healthy) is much appreciated.

Good business, bad development architecture

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good, friendly people to work with, excellent perks, nice office, better part of the downtown, free lunches twice a week. The best part is how the company established itself due to it's excellent Business domain knowledge in Energy and Commodities industry. The core architecture of the product enables it to be extremely configurable as per customers needs regardless of how specific their requirements may be. The core group of expert Product managers (Subject matter experts) are the real assets of the company.

Cons

Not the best place for career mobility if you are in R&D. Though I noticed it was a little better in other departments. The product is definitely in need of technology overhaul as it was developed using older .NET technologies/libraries and many of the new .NET technologies are missing. Wasted more than 5 years being stuck in a development approach that is very limiting within the product's scope. However, the new tech management is taking a wrong approach by trying a mish-mash of development platforms which are all over the place. Lack of coherent future technology roadmap for the product. The new tech management lacks clear insight in to the main architectural drawbacks in the product.

Bring enthusiasm in dev group by listening to the ideas offered by people who actually are aware of it's drawbacks. Inspire the existing dev team (who actually are also business domain experts) by gradually introducing new .Net technologies in the core product.

Great small business that is profitable

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunch every tues and thurs
    Free soda machines
    Really nice people
    Good salary

Cons

Lack of structure and poor communication

Enforce better communication, top down
    Need Career path for employees
    Find ways to reward and motivate employees like peer nominations for awards

Going to the next level

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership has the vision to take Allegro to the next level, and will multiple this company times 2-5, over the next 5-10 years.

Cons

Still an immature company that has to grow its people, in talent and in leadership.

Keep moving in the stated direction!

Great Place to Work, If You Know Your Way Around

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Allegro has some very smart people and there are a few good managers. The product is great to work with, highly extensible, and highly regarded in the industry. The culture is friendly and non-competitive. Most anyone will help you if you ask. There are many recognized holidays and they give plenty of vacation. Once you've proven yourself to be valuable, they will reward you with a nice salary and bonuses. The yearly company holiday party is always a lot of fun.

Cons

The downside to this place is that interdepartmental communication has never been good or even mediocre. It's been horrible. There is a certain managerial level that you don't want to get promoted to or beyond because working there will stop being rewarding and start being unnecessarily hard. Product documentation and training continue lack much real value. This company relies heavily on people who have been there a while and know what they are doing to "save the day" on projects.

Come up with a process where the entire company works together. Sales, Services, and Support rarely do hand offs and the second two groups often feel lost when first dealing with customers. Also, a little better documentation and training on products goes a long way.

Smart people, good product, huge opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best products in the industry; passionate new people changing the culture; changing the conversation in the energy industry; open to new ideas; new excitement at the company

Cons

Former founder is crazy and disruptive; people are caught up in the way things used to be; negativity

Motivate employees; promote from within

WwonderWondsww

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work on very strong team of employees who most have been with the company 5 to 14 years. We are very focused on client satisfaction and have a common attitude of doing a great job... because we all love being here every day. Never micro managed. I feel my input to management matters. Some people just don't work out. Those people are usually wanting and waiting for things to be handed to them, and are out to see what Allegro can do for them. Those people don't last long, and most likely head to this site to write a negative review. I can say in the 8 years I have been here, its has been a wonderful experience.
    Some times we have good people leave, and those people usually return within a few years.

Cons

Really nothing bad about working here.

Great people, self absorbed Management

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with, ok salary, decent benefits

Cons

Company is run by a bunch of self absorbed people who call themselves executives....Senior Management in this company is clueless, way overpaid, and don't work even 20 hours a week

Go back to school and take Management 101

Best Place to Omit from Your Resume

Former Employee - Energy Software Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Energy Software Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked for Allegro for 2 years - from 2011 to 2013. I was hired as a Consultant - basically junior level project manager/grunt work and assigned work that our inept Director did not want to do or did not fully understand how to do. I liked it at first but def not what I signed up for

Cons

I started thinking that I was going to get to travel and go to projects like some other people had in Zurich and Australia - but I ended up in Oklahoma City and Houston - def place I don't want to work.

The founder was ousted and the new CEO sends emails bragging about his international travel (not cool); the Finance and HR team folks are unprofessional; Sales needs to get out and sell something!

Well run, very professional company, open to new ideas and methods.

Current Employee - Director Level in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director Level in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New CEO's attitude is open to new ideas as long as you can back them up and make a case for them. Relaxed atmosphere, but everyone seems to dedicated to doing well and attaining the goals set for the company's growth.

Cons

Nothing so far, but I'll be sure and report back. haha Traffic to and from is a pain since the office is in a downtown scraper, but it is what it is.

Keep it up!