Allegro Development Reviews

1. Not bad, but needs direction

Former Employee - Deployment Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Deployment Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Allegro Development

Pros

They are busy, lots of business is coming their way. The product is decent comparing to the competition, but I feel they are having trouble staying abreast with new technologies and methodologies. The new CIO doesn't seem to be too forward thinking.

Cons

They are busy - always scrambling for resources to handle workload, both in development and services divisions. Quite a lot of political infighting for such a small company.

Advice to Management

Well, get the damn management in place that lasts more than a year. Every time you change the CEO both market and your employees are wondering if this company has legs to stand on.

2. Reasonable compensation, accommodates to needs well, no qualms

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Allegro Development

Pros

The compensation is reasonable. They allow flexibility in location and in hours. A good place to work both for veterans and for those learning the trade.

Cons

Advancement seems to be a matter of seniority and years worked. The culture can at times seem a bit clique.

Advice to Management

I would say just to have a vision for the future other than the numbers, and how employees fit into that vision.

3. OK for a first job

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Managers are flexible and dont micromanage
    Employee benefits are good - 4 weeks PTO, 401k, yearly bonus, etc.
    R&d is growing in size

Cons

Base pay is low, you get the bare minimum.
    R&d doesnt follow best practices in software engineering.
    Age old methods of development especially because for most people this was their first job and have been working here for years together.
    No cutting edge technology and cool stuff to work on.
    Can join here if this is the only offer, and move on to a better company after a year or two.
    Manual testing is time consuming and waste of resource. A test development team for automation would be great to have.

Advice to Management

Acquire/merge to grow in size.
    Desktop software - so passe!!! Move to web-based/cloud platforms.
    dev managers working here for a long long time and not following good development methodologies, Please hire new people at the same level/promote from within and form new teams to bring in more knowledge and fresh ideas.

5. Glad I Made The Switch!

Current Employee - Senior Energy Software Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Software Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Energy market competitive benefits and salary, excellent new hire training tools and resources, friendly and collaborative team members, company values, office culture, and real live support of work-life balance!

Cons

Office temperature too cold, impending Houston office move (I loathe packing and unpacking), limited weekly juice selection compared to coffee and tea options!

Advice to Management

As management continues to build and grow the company, keep the culture and "family" feel the same!

6. Constant c-level shifting, no clear path forward, awful employee barometer, and 30 year old tech leave Allegro outdated.

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time

Pros

Some younger employees eager to create relationships
    Relaxed environment/atmosphere
    Company is in a niche space, and working with an industry that is technologically ancient offers opportunity for some innovation
    Ability to reach out to most individuals internally for help

Cons

Guidance is lacking
    There is no top-down involvement
    Leadership has shifted 3 x in the past 3 years, and all without effort from the top-down to connect/grow with employees
    Direction/vision of the company can change on a whim

7. Great company

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fantastic place to work. The culture is great, and there is considerable flexibility as work-life balance goes. There are several company wide events.

Cons

Training could be better. There was very little done to acclimate me to their product. I've noticed new hires get more now, so that seems to be improving.

8. 8 years and counting

Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Below are the pros that I have experienced in the 8 years I have been here. During this time I have worked in several departments.
    -Level of industry knowledge within the organization. Whether on a project or working from the office, you have access to people that know the product and the industry inside and out.
    -Benefits and treatment of employees is OUTSTANDING. We are treated very, very well.
    -Education opportunities on the industry and our software product is available from day one in multiple mediums.
    -We are always growing.
    -Ability to transfer within the organization to other departments
    -We have a great product that is always evolving to fit our customers needs
    -Feeling of job security and stability
    -Management can recognize people that work hard and are customer focused. "Bad seeds" won't grow here or last long.
    -Transitions at the executive level are very smooth compared to what I have seen at other organizations. We are always informed on what is going on, and what to expect.
    -My managers make me feel like my work is valuable, that my work benefits our customers, and that I matter to our department.

If you are an interview candidate, I strongly recommend Allegro. The opportunity for growth, the comfort and stability of being employed here, as well as the overall treatment of employees is something I haven't seen at other corporations. In my time, I haven't once considered leaving.

Cons

Its not really a con, but we work very hard. Certain crunch times such as a new version release, new component development, etc can be draining. But that will occur at any company. The upside at Allegro is that we work hard, but we also play hard.

Advice to Management

the open communication, town halls and dedication to keeping employees happy (and healthy) is much appreciated.

Great small business that is profitable

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunch every tues and thurs
    Free soda machines
    Really nice people
    Good salary

Cons

Lack of structure and poor communication

Advice to Management

Enforce better communication, top down
    Need Career path for employees
    Find ways to reward and motivate employees like peer nominations for awards

10. Good business, bad development architecture

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good, friendly people to work with, excellent perks, nice office, better part of the downtown, free lunches twice a week. The best part is how the company established itself due to it's excellent Business domain knowledge in Energy and Commodities industry. The core architecture of the product enables it to be extremely configurable as per customers needs regardless of how specific their requirements may be. The core group of expert Product managers (Subject matter experts) are the real assets of the company.

Cons

Not the best place for career mobility if you are in R&D. Though I noticed it was a little better in other departments. The product is definitely in need of technology overhaul as it was developed using older .NET technologies/libraries and many of the new .NET technologies are missing. Wasted more than 5 years being stuck in a development approach that is very limiting within the product's scope. However, the new tech management is taking a wrong approach by trying a mish-mash of development platforms which are all over the place. Lack of coherent future technology roadmap for the product. The new tech management lacks clear insight in to the main architectural drawbacks in the product.

Advice to Management

Bring enthusiasm in dev group by listening to the ideas offered by people who actually are aware of it's drawbacks. Inspire the existing dev team (who actually are also business domain experts) by gradually introducing new .Net technologies in the core product.

11. excellent place to develop skills

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time

Pros

No hand holding, they hire professionals and expect you to act like one.

Cons

some people take advantage of the perks to the detriment of the other employees.

Advice to Management

keep it up!