Allegro Development

Jason Liu

8 years and counting

Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Below are the pros that I have experienced in the 8 years I have been here. During this time I have worked in several departments.
    -Level of industry knowledge within the organization. Whether on a project or working from the office, you have access to people that know the product and the industry inside and out.
    -Benefits and treatment of employees is OUTSTANDING. We are treated very, very well.
    -Education opportunities on the industry and our software product is available from day one in multiple mediums.
    -We are always growing.
    -Ability to transfer within the organization to other departments
    -We have a great product that is always evolving to fit our customers needs
    -Feeling of job security and stability
    -Management can recognize people that work hard and are customer focused. "Bad seeds" won't grow here or last long.
    -Transitions at the executive level are very smooth compared to what I have seen at other organizations. We are always informed on what is going on, and what to expect.
    -My managers make me feel like my work is valuable, that my work benefits our customers, and that I matter to our department.

If you are an interview candidate, I strongly recommend Allegro. The opportunity for growth, the comfort and stability of being employed here, as well as the overall treatment of employees is something I haven't seen at other corporations. In my time, I haven't once considered leaving.

Cons

Its not really a con, but we work very hard. Certain crunch times such as a new version release, new component development, etc can be draining. But that will occur at any company. The upside at Allegro is that we work hard, but we also play hard.

the open communication, town halls and dedication to keeping employees happy (and healthy) is much appreciated.

Good business, bad development architecture

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good, friendly people to work with, excellent perks, nice office, better part of the downtown, free lunches twice a week. The best part is how the company established itself due to it's excellent Business domain knowledge in Energy and Commodities industry. The core architecture of the product enables it to be extremely configurable as per customers needs regardless of how specific their requirements may be. The core group of expert Product managers (Subject matter experts) are the real assets of the company.

Cons

Not the best place for career mobility if you are in R&D. Though I noticed it was a little better in other departments. The product is definitely in need of technology overhaul as it was developed using older .NET technologies/libraries and many of the new .NET technologies are missing. Wasted more than 5 years being stuck in a development approach that is very limiting within the product's scope. However, the new tech management is taking a wrong approach by trying a mish-mash of development platforms which are all over the place. Lack of coherent future technology roadmap for the product. The new tech management lacks clear insight in to the main architectural drawbacks in the product.

Bring enthusiasm in dev group by listening to the ideas offered by people who actually are aware of it's drawbacks. Inspire the existing dev team (who actually are also business domain experts) by gradually introducing new .Net technologies in the core product.

Great small business that is profitable

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunch every tues and thurs
    Free soda machines
    Really nice people
    Good salary

Cons

Lack of structure and poor communication

Enforce better communication, top down
    Need Career path for employees
    Find ways to reward and motivate employees like peer nominations for awards

excellent place to develop skills

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time

Pros

No hand holding, they hire professionals and expect you to act like one.

Cons

some people take advantage of the perks to the detriment of the other employees.

keep it up!

It's been worth my time

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allegro provides an environment that is #1 challenging and #2 rewarding #3 fun when you are willing to commit yourself to work. As an employee for over 10 years, I've learned that many of the people at Allegro are the BEST to work and have fun with, they are an amazing team. You determine your future at Allegro by dedicating yourself to learn the application and the business, this takes time, but when you do - you have many opportunities within the company. After many years and many positions at Allegro, I must say that I'm happy that I've been here for so long and I truly appreciate the flexibility that they have given me to balance my work and personal life.

Cons

The workload can get heavy at times depending on resource availability.

The first 2 years at Allegro are the hardest, work to generate an environment for new employees such that they will stay beyond a handful of years. This can be done with training but more importantly, providing them with a mentor or putting them on a project to "shadow" an experienced employee before sending them on the road.

Going to the next level

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership has the vision to take Allegro to the next level, and will multiple this company times 2-5, over the next 5-10 years.

Cons

Still an immature company that has to grow its people, in talent and in leadership.

Keep moving in the stated direction!

Wonderful company!

I have been working at Allegro Development as an intern

Pros

Atmosphere is very friendly and challenging

Cons

Upward mobility was not the greatest

Provide more feedback

Great Place to Work, If You Know Your Way Around

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Allegro has some very smart people and there are a few good managers. The product is great to work with, highly extensible, and highly regarded in the industry. The culture is friendly and non-competitive. Most anyone will help you if you ask. There are many recognized holidays and they give plenty of vacation. Once you've proven yourself to be valuable, they will reward you with a nice salary and bonuses. The yearly company holiday party is always a lot of fun.

Cons

The downside to this place is that interdepartmental communication has never been good or even mediocre. It's been horrible. There is a certain managerial level that you don't want to get promoted to or beyond because working there will stop being rewarding and start being unnecessarily hard. Product documentation and training continue lack much real value. This company relies heavily on people who have been there a while and know what they are doing to "save the day" on projects.

Come up with a process where the entire company works together. Sales, Services, and Support rarely do hand offs and the second two groups often feel lost when first dealing with customers. Also, a little better documentation and training on products goes a long way.

Great People and Opportunity at a Thriving Company

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New senior management has company heading in the right direction
    High growth, current financials are best on record
    Lots of career opportunities
    Casual and fun working environment

Cons

Doesn't always have the best catering choices for our lunch twice a week, but at least it's free.

Keep being transparent about overall company performance and direction.

Smart people, good product, huge opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best products in the industry; passionate new people changing the culture; changing the conversation in the energy industry; open to new ideas; new excitement at the company

Cons

Former founder is crazy and disruptive; people are caught up in the way things used to be; negativity

Motivate employees; promote from within