Allegro Development

Jason Liu

Glad I Made The Switch!

Current Employee - Senior Energy Software Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Energy Software Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Energy market competitive benefits and salary, excellent new hire training tools and resources, friendly and collaborative team members, company values, office culture, and real live support of work-life balance!

Cons

Office temperature too cold, impending Houston office move (I loathe packing and unpacking), limited weekly juice selection compared to coffee and tea options!

As management continues to build and grow the company, keep the culture and "family" feel the same!

Constant c-level shifting, no clear path forward, awful employee barometer, and 30 year old tech leave Allegro outdated.

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time

Pros

Some younger employees eager to create relationships
    Relaxed environment/atmosphere
    Company is in a niche space, and working with an industry that is technologically ancient offers opportunity for some innovation
    Ability to reach out to most individuals internally for help

Cons

Guidance is lacking
    There is no top-down involvement
    Leadership has shifted 3 x in the past 3 years, and all without effort from the top-down to connect/grow with employees
    Direction/vision of the company can change on a whim

Great company

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fantastic place to work. The culture is great, and there is considerable flexibility as work-life balance goes. There are several company wide events.

Cons

Training could be better. There was very little done to acclimate me to their product. I've noticed new hires get more now, so that seems to be improving.

8 years and counting

Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Below are the pros that I have experienced in the 8 years I have been here. During this time I have worked in several departments.
    -Level of industry knowledge within the organization. Whether on a project or working from the office, you have access to people that know the product and the industry inside and out.
    -Benefits and treatment of employees is OUTSTANDING. We are treated very, very well.
    -Education opportunities on the industry and our software product is available from day one in multiple mediums.
    -We are always growing.
    -Ability to transfer within the organization to other departments
    -We have a great product that is always evolving to fit our customers needs
    -Feeling of job security and stability
    -Management can recognize people that work hard and are customer focused. "Bad seeds" won't grow here or last long.
    -Transitions at the executive level are very smooth compared to what I have seen at other organizations. We are always informed on what is going on, and what to expect.
    -My managers make me feel like my work is valuable, that my work benefits our customers, and that I matter to our department.

If you are an interview candidate, I strongly recommend Allegro. The opportunity for growth, the comfort and stability of being employed here, as well as the overall treatment of employees is something I haven't seen at other corporations. In my time, I haven't once considered leaving.

Cons

Its not really a con, but we work very hard. Certain crunch times such as a new version release, new component development, etc can be draining. But that will occur at any company. The upside at Allegro is that we work hard, but we also play hard.

the open communication, town halls and dedication to keeping employees happy (and healthy) is much appreciated.

Great small business that is profitable

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunch every tues and thurs
    Free soda machines
    Really nice people
    Good salary

Cons

Lack of structure and poor communication

Enforce better communication, top down
    Need Career path for employees
    Find ways to reward and motivate employees like peer nominations for awards

Good business, bad development architecture

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Allegro Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good, friendly people to work with, excellent perks, nice office, better part of the downtown, free lunches twice a week. The best part is how the company established itself due to it's excellent Business domain knowledge in Energy and Commodities industry. The core architecture of the product enables it to be extremely configurable as per customers needs regardless of how specific their requirements may be. The core group of expert Product managers (Subject matter experts) are the real assets of the company.

Cons

Not the best place for career mobility if you are in R&D. Though I noticed it was a little better in other departments. The product is definitely in need of technology overhaul as it was developed using older .NET technologies/libraries and many of the new .NET technologies are missing. Wasted more than 5 years being stuck in a development approach that is very limiting within the product's scope. However, the new tech management is taking a wrong approach by trying a mish-mash of development platforms which are all over the place. Lack of coherent future technology roadmap for the product. The new tech management lacks clear insight in to the main architectural drawbacks in the product.

Bring enthusiasm in dev group by listening to the ideas offered by people who actually are aware of it's drawbacks. Inspire the existing dev team (who actually are also business domain experts) by gradually introducing new .Net technologies in the core product.

excellent place to develop skills

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time

Pros

No hand holding, they hire professionals and expect you to act like one.

Cons

some people take advantage of the perks to the detriment of the other employees.

keep it up!

It's been worth my time

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allegro provides an environment that is #1 challenging and #2 rewarding #3 fun when you are willing to commit yourself to work. As an employee for over 10 years, I've learned that many of the people at Allegro are the BEST to work and have fun with, they are an amazing team. You determine your future at Allegro by dedicating yourself to learn the application and the business, this takes time, but when you do - you have many opportunities within the company. After many years and many positions at Allegro, I must say that I'm happy that I've been here for so long and I truly appreciate the flexibility that they have given me to balance my work and personal life.

Cons

The workload can get heavy at times depending on resource availability.

The first 2 years at Allegro are the hardest, work to generate an environment for new employees such that they will stay beyond a handful of years. This can be done with training but more importantly, providing them with a mentor or putting them on a project to "shadow" an experienced employee before sending them on the road.

Going to the next level

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Allegro Development full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership has the vision to take Allegro to the next level, and will multiple this company times 2-5, over the next 5-10 years.

Cons

Still an immature company that has to grow its people, in talent and in leadership.

Keep moving in the stated direction!

Wonderful company!

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Allegro Development as an intern

Pros

Atmosphere is very friendly and challenging

Cons

Upward mobility was not the greatest

Provide more feedback