Allen Communication Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Ron Zamir

Allen is an AMAZING company!

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Allen for almost a year. It's a hard job but a rewarding one. Clients have high expectations - as they should - and so we are constantly pushing ourselves to the next level. Working with incredibly intelligent, creative, and driven people raises the bar for everyone.

Cons

It can be stressful working on accelerated deadlines but with an amazing team working with you - it can also be a lot of fun. Being able to work on a team and incorporate feedback from a client is a must. You have to have a tough skin - it's not personal, it's how we exceed expectations.

Advice to Management

The culture (before I got here) had some bumps and ripples. My advice to management is to keep doing what they are doing. Employee engagement and appreciation is a must in a fast-paced environment and as far as I can see, Allen understands this.

Great company, creating some of the best L&D out there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Allen Communication (More than a year)

Pros

Easily the smartest and most creative colleagues I have ever had. Get to work with some of the best companies in the world. Top of the line facilities and work amenities. Free lunch every Thursday!

Cons

Some workers are a bit sensitive, can see how CEO may rub people the wrong way but he really means well and demands the best from you.

Advice to Management

Reward workers in public forums.

Fun and challenging place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with outstanding clients from Pfizer to Nike to Walmart. Upper management is supportive and celebrate both the company and individual employee's success. great benefits and both creative and challenging work. You get to work with great people who happen to be brilliant!

Cons

Only con I could even consider mentioning is the workload, however management has and continues to hire in order to lighten the load. I would tend to disagree with other reviewers' cons, I have been in the workforce for 20 years and Allen Communication in my personal opinion happens to be my favorite company I've worked for.

5. Management is totally unapproachable

I worked at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some interesting clients. Fun coworkers, though you won't have much time to interact with them.

Cons

The culture at Allen is “Do what I say and shut up.” You are not a human being to value and engage with; you are a resource to be used.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

Making it work at work.

Current Employee - Graphic Design Lead
    Current Employee - Graphic Design Lead

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'll be honest. I'm surprised by the negative reviews
    I’ve been at Allen for 17+ years
    The CEO, COO, AND CLO have mentioned many times that their “doors are always open” if we want to discuss anything.
    After 5:00pm a dept. head has encouraged me to leave for the day. Recently, in our dept. meeting, our dept. received kudos and meeting the high demand of work coming in.
    I have received positive feedback and encouragement from all of the higher ups and co-workers. Communication can always be fine-tuned between what the customer expects, what the sales staff offers, what company provides, and what is delivered. But isn’t that true for most companies? Can you really label Allen as being ‘sales/revenue-only focus’ when 2 of its employees flew out-of-state to support a client’s SME in a community production? Or the time spent to get a look-and-feel of a course treatment “just right” for a scrutinizing client’s eye?
    And with an incredibly new space/location that offers more collaboration and casual connections with each other, Allen offers a great working experience.

Cons

No climbing wall in the Creative Space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work.

Great Experience, Great People, Great Clients

Current Employee - Instructional Designer
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Allen for almost a year in the course ware department. Very few complaints. There's a great group of people here and management truly wants you to succeed. The benefits are fantastic, and the work is always engaging! No two days are the same, and I get to work with several fortune 500 companies. If you like thinking on your feet, learning new things every day, and working in a highly collaborative environment, you'll do very well.

Cons

Little room for career advancement. You can switch roles (if you display aptitude for another role) but there isn't very much vertical growth. It's a small-ish company, so the career ceiling is pretty low.
    The learning curve is very steep. Training happened on-the-go, which can be stressful, but also very rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people. We really do appreciate it!

Instructional Designer

Former Employee - ISDer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - ISDer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Allen Communication full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll work with large companies that will help you pad your resume with real world experience. your work with some creative an amazing minds throughout the lower branches of the company.

Cons

You'll have to put up with a deadline driven environment that sometimes demands a lot from you and gives very little in return.

Upper level management is unfortunately filled with emotionally unintelligent, introverted, and unapproachable people. I happened to work on both sides of the company--sales and courseware,--and the pattern of bad leadership and the lack of concern for employees was evident over and over again.

Advice to Management

value your employees and treat them like they are your greatest asset.

Make Ron a silent partner.

AllenComm is a place where you work hard, learn new things & have fun !!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at AllenComm for 9 months supporting the CEO who teaches me something new almost every day. The benefit package is amazing and as a single & only parent I worried about asking for time off but I am encouraged to have a healthy work / life balance. At Allen we engage in fun activities such as salad club on Tuesdays, Lunch Based Training sessions every Thursday with free lunch, a walking club, donut club on Friday's, free yoga on Tuesday & Thursday mornings & afternoons and not to mention the Nerf gun wars that happen daily !! There is a lot of serious work that happens at Allen but also a lot of fun.

Cons

As any growing company can attest (and Allen is growing very quickly), there are always growing pains. So many new people trying to get to know each other and understand each other’s work style. As in any relationship it takes time to figure each other out. Some may be quick to judge others because they haven't taken the time to get to know them on a deeper level.

Advice to Management

Considering the fact that Allen continues to grow, keep doing what you are doing !!

I wish someone would have given me an honest scoop on the CEO, otherwise an amazing place!

I worked at Allen Communication full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with, worked with amazing clients, and the training we developed was best in class.

Cons

CEO and COO (the owners) are not good with people. We had clients request to never have to interact with the CEO again after meeting with him. He's got a good heart, but his lack of self esteem has turned him into a bully to compensate for his serious issues. He only owns the business so he can be the unquestioned MAN. Sadly, he won't grow the company in new areas because he can't bear the thought of not being able to bully people around because his perceived expertise in the learning development arena.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is anything you can do. Ron will never change, it is just who he is and he can't see how his behavior is totally unacceptable. He actually believes he is an amazing leader, and his actions "motivate" people.

Consider Passing on This One

I have been working at Allen Communication full-time

Pros

Being on the cutting edge of the L&D field and exposure to Fortune 100 clientele. Surprisingly, a lot of bright and awesome people work here (none of them are senior managers - see below). This is why people come here.

Cons

CEO is a workplace bully and incapable of taking the company to the next level. You will dread and regret any type of encounter with him. He will likely treat you very poorly and you will want to find another job. It's hard to focus on doing a superior job when nearly everyone around you is trying to escape the company. And the benefits and perks are terrible when compared to what is reasonably expected.

Advice to Management

People don't work here and succeed because of you - they do so in spite of you. All of your best people have left, are considering leaving, or will leave soon. Veiling a poor culture with a fancy website and fabricated rituals might get people in the door, but they won't be happy and they won't stay. Consider a serious overhaul of the senior management team (CEO and COO) or accept stagnation and irrelevance in the intermediate future.

RSS Feed </> Embed