Allen ISD Reviews

1 Rating

1. Best school district to work for anywhere

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

--Extremely positive environment; employees are proud to work here. --Administration from superintendent and school board all the way down to asst. principals give tangible support to teachers and staff. Ideas/concerns/requests are addressed and often implemented. Our new superintendent as of 2014, Lance Hindt, is carrying on our tradition of great superintendents; he's implemented many useful ideas without changing the "corporate" culture here that has worked so well. --District adds $10,000/year to state base pay; even minimum first-year salary 2015-16 will start at $49,000/year. --Students are hard working and have a great attitude; even the few discipline problems that occur are relatively minor. (I know--I had the ISS kids every afternoon several years ago at the freshman campus, so I saw the "worst" kids--and almost every one of them was cooperative and respectful even in that situation.) --Student academic success is valued as highly as extracurricular success, regardless of what makes it into the news media; the district spent more money on new, state of the art classrooms, a career/technical wing, and a performing arts center at the high school than on the stadium the same year it was built. Check out the academic success and your jaw will drop. Kids with 3.5 GPAs aren't guaranteed to be in the top 50% of their graduating class because so many kids take academics seriously, taking a ton of Pre-AP/IB and AP or IB courses plus dual-credit college courses. --Employees are professional at all levels; you can count on people to do their jobs well. --We have huge community support for the school and all its programs/activities; one high school means no cross-town rivalries or split community support. Dividing the kids into six "houses" where they keep the same principal, counselor, etc. throughout high school makes it work in this large 6A high school. --Team/family environment--at my school (freshman center, with 1,500 9th graders) last year, several teachers and staff were out with serious illness (including cancer), surgery, and/or injuries. Entire staff (including administration) willingly and spontaneously donated, meals, cash, and their time to deliver these items for weeks; helping with grading/paperwork/planning; taking care of kids and pets; and donating sick days so that these employees didn't use theirs up and have to have pay docked.

Cons

None, other than the competition to get hired here is fierce! Three years ago, my principal told me that at least 300 qualified applicants apply for every teacher opening; the final 5-8 who are interviewed bring qualifications and experience that any district would be thrilled to have. Substituting and then being hired as a teacher's aide (not an easy job to get, either) are often required steps to being considered for a full-time teaching job. The only reason I left is to take care of family needs; I loved my team and my ninth grade students and am proud to say I taught in Allen.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing--tangible and always positive support for employees along with always putting the students' needs first.

2. Teacher

Former Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Secondary Math Teacher in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent community support; great place to work

Cons

no growth potential; great place to work so no one ever leaves;

Advice to Management

build another high school

3. Ensuring the safety of over 750 students and staff members of an elementary school.

Current Employee - Raptor Specialist in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Raptor Specialist in Allen, TX

I have been working at Allen ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am liaison between parents/teachers and students. Love the work-life balance.

Cons

The income is way below the normal for the amount of detailed work involved.

Advice to Management

The management is very easy to work with. They are quite flexible and understanding about personal time off. They all believe that we all have families and need the time to go take care of them, then they make it work.

5. Student support tutor (SSI)

Former Employee - SSI Tutor in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - SSI Tutor in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great principal, assistant principal, and SSI team. They all loved children. The staff were very in-tuned to the individual students and the family backgrounds.

Cons

They need individualized plans and better materials and a plan for the lessons. The also set the bar low to only meet the lowest standard/state test standard.

Advice to Management

Develop intake, IEP, and curriculum for each student. Set the goals and standards for long term growth of the child following the college readiness standards instead of the Texas standards.

6. I would go back.

Former Employee - Resource Assistant in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Resource Assistant in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at an elementary school that was very close knit! I enjoyed everyone I worked with. This isn't always true with middle and high school campuses.

Cons

I worked as an aide, so is the trend that the pay is not the best. Not enough for an individual to make it. Good for a 2 income household.

7. Teachers Aide

Former Employee - Aide in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Aide in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quick over the phone interview. Apply online before. Everything is electronic as far as applying online.

Cons

Not salary specific until hired. Job decription not clear. Principals have the final say on hirings and not much is decided by admin.

8. Fine Arts Department is toxic!

Former Employee - Secretary in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Secretary in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The directors I worked with thought of the students first and not being #1. The students were awesome. Always busy. Every day was a new day. Learned to

Cons

The district Is no longer about the students. It has become about making money and portraying the district to look perfect with no downfalls. Only One Crises Counselor for the approximate 6,000 high school students. Not professional. Very political. Hiring practices (friends & family plan) do not follow district guidelines. Good 'ol boy system still in place!

Advice to Management

Needs changes to take place and put making money and egos aside. Education should be about the students!

9. Great experience

Former Employee - Bus Driver in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in Allen, TX

I worked at Allen ISD part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Same days off the kids have off from school. You can work field trips to get more hours if you want. Supervisors are great.

Cons

For most bus drivers it is only part-time hours.

Advice to Management

Management does a fine job.

RSS Feed </> Embed