Allen Institute for Brain Science

Updated January 26, 2015
4.2

Allan Jones

Very Fulfilling

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I get to work on a team with really big ideas and a measurable impact in the world. Exciting to forge a new way to perform and publish science.

Cons

Dealing with growing pains not just in squeezing all the people into facilities not big enough to hold us, but the pains that go along with growing the way we are.

Keep expanding your communication and let go of the old ways of doing things when we were smaller.

Great place to work at and great people to work with

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great people to work with, great vacation benefits, and the company does a lot of functions to help celebrate progress (happy hours where they provide beer and food)

Cons

Some teams within the company have bad management. It's not the easiest thing to move up in the company, but still worth it to work there. You can always move around to different departments.

Challenging and interesting work with great innovative people

Former Intern - R&D Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - R&D Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Many interesting talks and seminars by employees and guest speakers. Great culture that enabled free flow of ideas and an environment where real work could take place.

Cons

Several buildings and teams sometimes could feel isolated from each other. Not many cons, and this having been my first internship, couldn't really compare to other companies.

Summer internship in comp neuro

Former Intern - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice location, benefits

Cons

Bad management, lack of direction, not collaborative, internal competition

Listen to employees

Generally positive.

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science

Pros

Fast movement, very transparent company.

Cons

Non-profit, bogged-down by constant structural changes.

Great Job

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and great people. Really feels like you are doing meaningful work. Good work/life balance. I never feel overworked, and feel great.

Cons

I wish there was more work sometimes, and that I was given more responsibility. Management doesn't seem to be around much, which makes me wonder what they are doing all day. However, I always feel like I can get answers to questions when I need them.

Be more involved with what I am doing! Get management to be more involved with the lower level "grunts".

A unique and exciting environment fresh out of College

Current Contractor - Temporary Lab Aide in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Temporary Lab Aide in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent and ambitious missions. Interesting seminars and work culture.

Cons

I can only comment from my vantage, but chances for permanent placement seem low from temp status, though not impossible. Despite that I am grateful for the experience to be in close proximity to such interesting research.

Great mission, poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science

Pros

Interesting and rewarding problem domain. Nice to work at a not for profit that possibly could have some beneficial effect on society. Fellow workers are generally competent and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Extremely poor middle and upper management. No one plans adequately for the future. Most of the the upper and middle management seems to be just talking amongst themselves in endless meetings and seminars while neglecting to decide on anything. Most of these meetings have no agenda and no minutes. Upper management does not consider ideas or improvements that originate from lower in the organizational hierarchy.

Plan for the future. Quit meeting so much and actually do some work. Listen to the lower levels. This is all from management 101 and you should know better. Consider that perhaps you are not the smartest person in the room on every subject.

A great mission, and good people, but growing pains can make working there difficult.

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science

Pros

The Institute has an excellent mission, to create tools to assist neurological research around the world and make the tools and data available as public domain. They provide excellent benefits, including medical and dental without any employee premiums and low copays. The people working at AIBS are by and large intelligent, hard working and excellent people to work with.

Cons

The Allen Institute for Brain Science is a small company trying to grow, and going through some growing pains. They have ambitious short term goals combined with poor planning by project leads, which creates unmanageable deadlines for people downstream. Upper management and PhD's sometimes ignore advice of those working in "lower" positions without advanced degrees, regardless of experience.

Insist on better planning before starting any project, major or minor. Start looking ahead to speed bumps instead of being reactionary. Listen when a junior employee brings up a potential issue.