Allen Institute for Brain Science

Reset
4.1
Allan Jones

1. Very Fulfilling

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to work on a team with really big ideas and a measurable impact in the world. Exciting to forge a new way to perform and publish science.

Cons

Dealing with growing pains not just in squeezing all the people into facilities not big enough to hold us, but the pains that go along with growing the way we are.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding your communication and let go of the old ways of doing things when we were smaller.

2. Many opportunities to learn from great people

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science as an intern

Pros

I interned at the Allen Institute for one summer. The work was interesting and challenging, but I especially appreciated the opportunities to meet with scientists and employees outside my group -- the Institute made sure to expose us to all areas of research happening there. Most of the full time staff were very receptive to talking to and teaching interns. We were also able to attend many visiting guest presentations, which I found interesting and educational.

Cons

Didn't get to meet with interns from other groups very often, which sometimes felt isolating. Space could feel cramped, but the Institute will be moving into a new building soon.

Advice to Management

Continue encouraging managers to expose interns to all aspects of the Institute. Organize more intern get-togethers so they can meet each other more often.

I work in a support position.

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In six months, we will be moving in to a new, state-of-the-art building in South Lake Union that Paul Allen is building us. We are well funded and have been growing quickly in the last few years. We do great science that is given away for free all over the world. The benefits are great. Overall, a very nice group of people.

Cons

There are a few in upper management that are toxic and have been that way for years, but nothing is done about them.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with the staff. Hold some of your own to the higher level.

Great place to work at and great people to work with

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Excellent benefits, great people to work with, great vacation benefits, and the company does a lot of functions to help celebrate progress (happy hours where they provide beer and food)

Cons

Some teams within the company have bad management. It's not the easiest thing to move up in the company, but still worth it to work there. You can always move around to different departments.

6. Challenging and interesting work with great innovative people

Former Intern - R&D Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - R&D Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Many interesting talks and seminars by employees and guest speakers. Great culture that enabled free flow of ideas and an environment where real work could take place.

Cons

Several buildings and teams sometimes could feel isolated from each other. Not many cons, and this having been my first internship, couldn't really compare to other companies.

7. Summer internship in comp neuro

Former Intern - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA

I worked at Allen Institute for Brain Science as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, nice location, benefits

Cons

Bad management, lack of direction, not collaborative, internal competition

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

8. Generally positive.

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science

Pros

Fast movement, very transparent company.

Cons

Non-profit, bogged-down by constant structural changes.

Great Job

Current Employee - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Associate I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and great people. Really feels like you are doing meaningful work. Good work/life balance. I never feel overworked, and feel great.

Cons

I wish there was more work sometimes, and that I was given more responsibility. Management doesn't seem to be around much, which makes me wonder what they are doing all day. However, I always feel like I can get answers to questions when I need them.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with what I am doing! Get management to be more involved with the lower level "grunts".

10. A unique and exciting environment fresh out of College

Current Contractor - Temporary Lab Aide in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Temporary Lab Aide in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent and ambitious missions. Interesting seminars and work culture.

Cons

I can only comment from my vantage, but chances for permanent placement seem low from temp status, though not impossible. Despite that I am grateful for the experience to be in close proximity to such interesting research.

Great mission, poor management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Allen Institute for Brain Science

Pros

Interesting and rewarding problem domain. Nice to work at a not for profit that possibly could have some beneficial effect on society. Fellow workers are generally competent and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Extremely poor middle and upper management. No one plans adequately for the future. Most of the the upper and middle management seems to be just talking amongst themselves in endless meetings and seminars while neglecting to decide on anything. Most of these meetings have no agenda and no minutes. Upper management does not consider ideas or improvements that originate from lower in the organizational hierarchy.

Advice to Management

Plan for the future. Quit meeting so much and actually do some work. Listen to the lower levels. This is all from management 101 and you should know better. Consider that perhaps you are not the smartest person in the room on every subject.

RSS Feed </> Embed