Allen Matkins

Allen Matkins Reviews

3.6

Brian C. Leck
1 Rating

To date, the best job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA

I have been working at Allen Matkins

Pros

-Very competitive salary and benefits, especially for a 24-year-old who was incredibly wet behind the ears starting out;
    -Started with 4 weeks PTO, increased after 5 years to 5 weeks PTO [although I doubt they still do that since the economic downturn];
    -Extremely nice attorneys and staff overall, from the biggest rainmakers to the youngest associates cutting their teeth. Most of the "yellers" slowly left during my time there;
    -GREAT holiday parties;
    -I got a 6-week severance when they laid me off in '09. They usually didn't do severances at all so it was appreciated until I could find another job (which only took me 10 days... I was lucky).

Cons

My beef was not getting laid off. I've since been promoted and everything's gravy. My beef was getting laid off BEFORE a handful of extremely incompetent people. It came down to a numbers game, I know, but it stuck in my craw for awhile.

That said, I really wish I could be a huge internet troll and flame them. But I have no regrets whatsoever about working here. Even the dreaded lay-off meeting was amicable (the office administrator was in tears when she told me).

When a loyal long-time employee with nothing but great performance evaluations is fully aware the axe is coming down in a few months, and that same employee offers a cut in salary, a cut in bonus, even a cut in hours to stay, I would negotiate. You can't beat that deal.

You need to be interested in Real Estate only to survive

Former Employee - Attorney, 4th-Year in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney, 4th-Year in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Allen Matkins full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make decent money and work reasonable hours. The support staff is also very good. And the firm loves to eat and drink.

Cons

Partners will smile at you saying you are wonderful and have a strong future here while at the same time sinking your career battleship.