Allen Systems Group Reviews

Updated August 15, 2014

2.0

Allen Systems Group President and CEO Art Allen
Art Allen

Pros
  • ASG really is a low pressure place where you can have a decent work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• very good people that touch the customers (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • In the US all but sales and the selected few are suffering a 20% pay cut for over 3 years (in 11 reviews)

• The 4 day work week is okay but the work needing to be done is still a 5 day or more load (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Has some great products, not enough resources to support them...

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, great technical support for sales force... World-class product managers.

Cons

Sketchy infrequent product training for sales force. Too many products. Not enough project managers.

You have a lot of smart people in the company. Create a culture where new ideas and suggestions are considered.
    Innovation is likely to come from folks that have joined in the last 5 years. Sell off some of your products and use the proceeds to create awareness of your company.

Quality Assurance Analyst Intern

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst Intern  in  Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst Intern in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for with a great atmosphere and people

Cons

There is only one intern working. I think it would benefit greatly if there was more than onbe intern so we could use each other to bounce ideas and discuss what we have learned

Hire more interns. The collegues here are extremely good with interns and can teach alot

ASG is what you make it

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Trust in Sales force, flexibility in making a deal work for a given company. There is no micro-managment of sales people. You get to run your territory like your own "business". Large customer base makes getting appointments for sales calls pretty painless. A large number of mature enterprise products and the ability to be the "low cost" alternative to CA, IBM, BMC can help ASG to win addtional business.

Cons

If you need a lot of coaching, and managment, this not the place for you. The debt issues is a concern, since this is a private company it is diffucult to determine why ASG debt has piled up. I suspect that executive pay has been out of line with performance of the company.

Get rid of EAS group and have sales do the job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking ship

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Naples, FL

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The weather in Naples is great. There's plenty to do, it's not too far to Ft. Meyers and if you're into boating, this is a great place. Take your boat over to Marco Island and grab some lunch on your 3 day weekend.

Cons

Finally have AA's Jet For Sale, Seriously. After forcing everyone into a 4 day workweek, violating loan covenants and having their credit rating downgraded to almost worthless grade, Art had to give up his prized toy a custom built Gulfstream 550 Jet. (Google up Gulfstream 550 jet for sale -look for NC860AA and you can see why the employees needed to take a 20%/4 day work week) - While Rome burned, the CEO was fiddling at 40 thousand feet for months on end. This was a "pro" since life in naples is much nicer when he's out of town and not micro-managing the day to day and venting his anger at things like losing his toys. Inept management at the next level keep the zoo a happy place in a paradise like setting. It's Naples FL ! C'mon) 4 day work week but if you can afford a 20% cut! you have 3 days a week to go boating. Keep your head down and you'll keep your job. Easy-piezy.

Even the changes that the new board has forced on the company won't un-do the damage to employee morale, outdated legacy products that we don't support properly or a cloud strategy that "literally has its head in the clouds". There's no-one left to buy and pillage, putting the Jet up for sale just mad him angry and he takes it out on the minions. The senior management are hanging in by their fingernails - they couldn't get a job, at this point, anywhere in the industry so it's ASG to the end and pray for parachute (not likely) or milk every dime you can while you're there. This is truly a sad, sad place.

Why bother, no-one is listen ending (and yet there's always someone watching at ASG), they can and do pinpoint your location in the building and you will get beat up for too much time in the bathroom of a late lunch or coming in 5 minutes late. Sell the company and put buyout packages in to the deal for long term employees.

Better Odds for Success at a Casino

Former Employee - Field Sales Executive  in  Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Field Sales Executive in Nashua, NH

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The corporate HQ's in Naples, FL is resort-like. On-boarding is top notch and all the worker bees are some of the best people and top talent I've ever worked with.

Cons

The go-to-market strategy and KPI's say it all. Sales are driven by a 5-5-15 Business as Usual plan (existing customers, expired/lost customers, and new logo) that is monitored daily via a neat looking HTML report card that lights up red, yellow, or green. A significant percentage of the metrics (~ 80%) are weighted to the "existing" customers. Normally, that's a good thing - one might think. The problem just begins here; most customers (4/5) will not take calls (phone or meetings). But you haven't even begun your new career at ASG yet and you'll have to generate 32 meeting/month (remember the scorecard) - it's "RED." Oh...and what about the 5 lost customers you say? Well, they ran a long time ago for varied reasons and have told the other 15 "new logo" accounts you are working so diligently to acquire why the "new" ASG is as bad as the "old" ASG.

I won't go on to reiterate the litany of negative commentary that follows: EXTREEMELY HIGH employee turnover, zero marketing, zero Gartner/Forrester MQ reports, understaffed and overworked resources, antiquated products, poor customer support, no customer references, and failing credit rating.

When you get laid-off (and YOU will), you'll quickly be reminded of and realize the two-year non-compete contract you signed when you began your ASG "career" is the second biggest mistake you even made.

If you like hundred-to-one odds of making quota, go to Vegas where you'll be luckier.

Shut down and retool. When you realize the days of being a product reseller - bilking customer's for high maintenance fees...and getting rich at the top are over, aspire to be a software solutions company. And the money will follow.

Don't be fooled, this company is a disaster. RUN!!!

Current Employee - Management  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Management in Naples, FL

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are still some good people trying to make a difference at the company but the legacy management team runs them quickly out. I am still currently at ASG and I can tell you that I like my boss, I like my job, and I like the peers I work with.

Cons

The Senior executive team is so detached from the front lines that it continue to make poor decisions with a lack of concern for its employees. The company constantly looks for ways not to pay its employees and its vendors. The Operations team nit picks every deal and decides who should get paid and who shouldn't. If you are successful they change your comp plan on the fly. They constantly change comp plans. The accounting organization looks to find ways not to reimburse you for expenses. The back office team is so resistant to helping others there is an overwhelming sense of complacency throughout. Most importantly, If you are in sales, ASG plans to only pay your base salary, commissions are paid after the customer pays the invoice. Chances are you are walking into an empty account set and there is no existing business that ASG plans to pay you on. You can ride that out but the average sales cycle is 6 months. Base salary for a year and that's if you can stand it.

Stop hiring SVPs for FY17 plans and invest in marketing, front line sales, training and product development. The products are aging, and your sales team has been a revolving door because you refuse to pay them commissions and all you want to do is blame the front line. When countless front line people come and go and your company still is bleeding revenue, its about time that you look at the top.

Do your LIFE a favor and DONT WORK HERE!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only thing good about ASG are some of the employees who have stayed on board and are very nice people. Aside from that there's really nothing positive about this company. No benefits to mention (no 401k match, tuition reimbursement). Interested in a raise for doing a good job or even to go with the increase in cost of living? Forget it!

Cons

No benefits, no raises, no leadership, no strategy, so much turnover of staff.

This company could care less about its employees. ASG's credit was recently downgraded and it won't be long before the board takes over or ASG is sold off.

I think things are too bad to even change anything to make things better. The morale is shot and people are just holding on at this point. Management needs to reorganize, strategize and start from the bottom up.

If you're smart, you will steer clear of this wretched company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Niente. Well, maybe one or two. The bozo boss evidently had his plane taken away. And his company has evidently been downgraded again. Hey, I guess every cloud does have a silver lining.

Cons

God, where to start. A greedy, self-serving, megalomaniacal, overbearing, uncaring, non-visionary, viscious, pompous, obnoxious owner who rose from the pits of hell and decided he could run a softwarehouse. I will give him this though. He did me a huge favor by laying me off in 2009 so that I could get on with my life and
    land a good job; one that actually pays me a full salary for 40 hours of work. From what I am reading, his furlough 32 hour work week is still in effect over 5 years later. Wow Art. What a sweet deal you offer to entice people to apply for a job.

Hari Kari? Hemlock? Slit your wrists?

Only interested in maintenance clients. There's little to no innovation

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The software product acquired through a series of acquisitions is quite good.
    There are some great people that work here.

Cons

No development. Good software has atrophied and fallen way behind client expectations.
    Arrogance and ego among senior staff are difficult to deal with.

Reorganize. Salary seems to have some arbitrary guidelines that don't help retain the talented staff inherited from acquisitions.

This is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time

Pros

Nothing! Culture is terrible.

Cons

The financial condition of this company is deteriorating very rapidly. Recently downgraded to a "D" rating by a prestigious financial institution, makes it very difficult for companies to consider purchasing technology from this company. Development of products is very slow, sales cycles are very long, and Marketing is non-existant.

Sell the company and put employees out of their misery!

Worked for Allen Systems Group? Contribute to the Community!