Allen Systems Group

Updated December 21, 2014
2.0

Allen Systems Group President and CEO Art Allen
Art Allen

Pros
  • ASG really is a low pressure place where you can have a decent work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• There are still some good people trying to make a difference at the company but the legacy management team runs them quickly out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • In the US all but sales and the selected few are suffering a 20% pay cut for over 3 years (in 11 reviews)

• The 4 day work week is okay but the work needing to be done is still a 5 day or more load (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Turning the corner

Current Employee - Field Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Allen Systems Group

Pros

Great Portfolio of products. Solid customer Base. Competitive compensation packages and reasonable expectations. The company puts a lot of confidence and trust in employees and avoids micro-management. If you are a "go getter" you can make some noise at ASG.

Cons

With Art Allen's departure there is a level of uncertainty and of course change is uncomfortable. While the products are reliable and stable many of them are showing their age and a face lifts are needed.

We have an opportunity to take ASG to the next level. Let's use the infusion of capital to invest in our products which will give them extended life, before we begin acquiring again.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

I worked at Allen Systems Group

Pros

Company located in Naples, Florida

Cons

There are too many to list

They wouldn't listen anyway

Holding my breath

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ability to structure strong deal value on mainframe software replacement opportunities. Certain customers loyal despite lack of account executive continuity. Many good people at the lower ranks. Still upbeat if new money requires Mr. Allen gets out. Overall rating based on a few new management people brought in from other successful technology companies and the hope that new money allows re-investment in critical product development and new sales strategies.

Cons

Mr. Allen and his posse continue to make poor decisions that hurt product value and customer satisfaction. Complete lack of pay and commissions auditability. Commission plans changed to save money and many times to avoid paying commissions completely.

Review company structure and product portfolio. Focus on changes that increase customer satisfaction and loyalty. Continue to invest in Product upgrades, Channels strategy and employees that touch the customer (sales, presales, services). Must streamline senior management ranks and focus on management, product management and sales management models that are similar to the most successful companies in the technology industry. Fund a competitive 401K plan that will help retain the best employees.

Beware

Former Employee - Product Architect in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Product Architect in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you survive the initial round of firings (when your outfit was bought by ASG), you might have a job for a while. Benefits are at about the usual level for a software company, and only that.

Cons

ASG operates by buying failing companies, firing about a third (or more) of the existing workforce, so that the any existing revenue stream is greater than costs. Also they annually decimate (fire about one tenth) of their employees across all product groups.

If ASG buys your company, be prepared to change jobs.

Terrible place to find a career

Former Employee - Major Account Manager
    Former Employee - Major Account Manager

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There were no pros that I consider worthy of mentioning.

Cons

MICRO-MANAGE EVERYTHING...They will call you daily to review what you did. There were also daily sales team calls to review activities. Never positive, always very negative.

Need more training and have to trust the people you hire to do the job required.

Does pay well

I worked at Allen Systems Group

Pros

Beautiful office great owner. Located in one of the upscale expensive areas in the country. They have nice picnics and holiday parties.

Cons

Poor weak management. Lack of leadership growth and direction. High turnover

Most employees have 2 or more jobs just to survive. Increase pay to market levels

Has some great products, not enough resources to support them...

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great technical support for sales force... World-class product managers.

Cons

Sketchy infrequent product training for sales force. Too many products. Not enough project managers.

You have a lot of smart people in the company. Create a culture where new ideas and suggestions are considered.
    Innovation is likely to come from folks that have joined in the last 5 years. Sell off some of your products and use the proceeds to create awareness of your company.

RUN AWAY!

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with a few awesome people both in the remote office as well as at corporate. That's it.

Cons

A sampling of all the BS you have to look forward to should you decide to ignore all of these truths and go work for ASG ANYWAY: Pay is sub-par to market, Too many overpaid Executives brought on by the CEO, who is defiant and determined to undermine the very Board and Investment company he brought on to “save” his company. CEO is a "leader" alright..... and he is leading the company right in to bankruptcy. Every department there is a train wreck because all the smart people are leaving in droves, and the ones sticking around are completely cancerous and incompetent drones who are there only because they cannot find a job anywhere else in Naples FL! The company is approaching 30 yrs old and refuses to update their archaic rules and regulations to anywhere close to the 20th Century. Quotas are too high because no one wants to buy out-dated, non-competitive product. Oh…. that, and the fact that no one wants to do business with a company whose CEO/Founder tells the employees who to vote for, or if they chose the wrong person then the company will fold! That went viral on CNBC! That kind of “PR” coupled with no marketing, a “sales support” staff who is more like Sales Prevention, understaffed on Presales Engineers and Product Development, and the saddest excuse for sales management I have ever seen all make it next to impossible to generate interest let alone go through the 12-18 months OR MORE it takes to try to sell something there. Let’s not forget the “Expense Nazi” who makes it her job to try any which way NOT to reimburse you for business related expenses if you have any reason to travel for your job. What a complete disaster……no wonder their credit rating is continually getting downgraded. Sooooo glad I left when I did.

Not that management will listen....because they just don't.....they truly believe they know everything. But if there was any piece of advice they listened to it would be sell off everything that is not cloud related and start all over. Get rid of anyone who has been with the company for longer than 10 yrs, replace with fresh people who have fresh ideas THAT RESULT IN NET NEW REVENUE AND LOGOS! Re-Tool your entire sales force, rebuild a marketing organization and for God's Sake......give it time to do it's job and show results. Oh.....and Mr. A (he "commands" to be called Mr Allen!).....stop Bilking money from the company. Ride a commercial plane like the rest of your underpaid worker bees!

Start looking for a job now..refresh your skills

Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job was not stressful. The technology was dated. You will just get more work as more employees get laid off. Loyalty at this company will eventually earn you a pink slip. The company keeps getting worse and worse financially. Eventually it will be your turn. I knew the company was doing bad and eventually would get the slip. But now that I think back, it's better to just take the initiative to move on than to have it suddenly forced on you one day. Refresh you resume every few months..especially for those of you that have been there 10+ years (yes, there is a lot of them). You will not remember what you did 10 years ago. Back up your code/files for reference, because when you get the boot, you won't get a chance to.

Cons

Technology is old. No 401k matching. No raises. Never liked having to clock in and clock out! We are not children.

Sell the company to save the current employees grief.

Quality Assurance Analyst Intern

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst Intern in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst Intern in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for with a great atmosphere and people

Cons

There is only one intern working. I think it would benefit greatly if there was more than onbe intern so we could use each other to bounce ideas and discuss what we have learned

Hire more interns. The collegues here are extremely good with interns and can teach alot

Allen Systems Group Photos