Allen Systems Group

Allen Systems Group Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Allen Systems Group President and CEO Art Allen

Art Allen

Pros:
  • "ASG really is a low pressure place where you can have a decent work-life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "very good people that touch the customers"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "In the US all but sales and the selected few are suffering a 20% pay cut for over 3 years"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The 4 day work week is okay but the work needing to be done is still a 5 day or more load"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very profound growth trajectory plan. Clarity and optimism abound. We are on our way up!

Naples, FL

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis is a new, energized ASG. Refined vision, adaptable and primed to reach the next plateau of revenue and growth. Leadership is committed to the success of everyone here.

ConsAs with anything that is changing, some are not comfortable with that. That can create issues. Defining why we are doing what we are, can entice many to embrace the new, ASG.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush ahead with your plans and let's reach towards the stars. Focus on company values, publicize your plans with your team members.

Soul Deadening

Field Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

ProsLarge, captive customer base. The product are such that, once installed, they are difficult to replace with competitive products, no matter how superior the competitive products are

ConsAbusive micromanagement. Activity (no matter how useless and counterproductive) valued over performance. Unattainable sales quotas, as evidenced by less than 10% of the 100+ person sales force making quota. Substandard salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell out to a real technology company who would invest in upgrading products that are stuck in the '90's. Treat customers as assets to be supported, rather than simply sources of maintenance revenue to be milked.

Making Key Changes Quickly

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAll the reviews are correct in their own way. ASG employees have had to weather tough times. But with the advent of the new Board, it appears that some rational thought is going towards quickly restructuring the company to become more competitive and a better place to work. That doesn't help staff that were let go after they gave heart and soul but they also removed some people who were poison to the process.

ConsFully agree that there have been and still are problems but, for now, I', getting behind the changes because they seem to make sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new guys seem to know what they are doing. Let them do it.

Very over worked and very underpaid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNever worked with a better group of co-workers. All my co-workers were helpful and friendly even though for decades they were hugely underpaid and over worked.

ConsMy pay for the entire time I worked for Mr. Allen was below industry standard . For over a decade I was paid 30% of what I SHOULD have been paid based on my responsibilities, skills and title. This may sound like a disgruntled employee and to a degree, you would be right. However everyone of my co-workers seemed to be in the same situation. Meanwhile this kept madding more and more work and kept laying off more and more people using the excuse of the economy crash, all the while buying more and more companies. Most people, including myself, in spite of this abuse stayed loyal to the company thinking when the economy turned around, they would be rewarded. My reward for this is when I began asking for a little more pay ( that would bring me up to at least entry level pay) was to be laid off without severance. And I was not the only one to suffer this fate. An let me reassure you, I always got high performance reviews. Though all this I am not mad at the company in general and certainly not with the people I worked with. Just highly disappointed. The top seems more interested in corporate raiding and cutting cost than the people who have made them and Mr. Allen in particular, a success.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat you employees with respect, fairly and with a proper salary. You would be MUCH more successful with happy, adequately paid and not overworked employees. My guess is your profits would increase tremendously.

Who fires the top 10%? This company does!

Senior Enterprise Solutions Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

ProsSome really good people got suckered into working there, so I have been able to keep in touch with some quality contacts that had been colleagues. My manager had tears in his eyes trying to explain why I was being laid off...and seriously that was very touching. Some of the products they acquired are strong.

ConsEverything related to executive management and strategy. They literally fired the top sales contributors and sales engineers to save money and not pay out commissions owed. Then they had a mandatory "voluntary" 4 day workweek with corresponding salary reduction.

Advice to Senior ManagementAnyone that can gets job elsewhere should do so until there is a new CEO and ownership structure.

If I could give ZERO stars, that'd be more accurate

Field Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than a year

ProsASG has a good customer base in mainframe technology

ConsASG has been mooching off maintenance paying customers for 2 decades & now has a serious identity crisis

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't defer your salary so ASG can pay their Nov interest payment. You've had a serious attrition problem in sales & management for years & your current policies & practices will only exacerbate the issue. It's incredibly unprofessional to drop the 'F' bomb on employees & putting everyone on a PIP?!? Are you out of your minds???!?? You just gave us Motive & Opportunity to join your competitors. You won't be around a decade from now.

10 + yrs

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people, some good tech, new hires in mgmt. and board seem to be helping. I'll take a wait and see...

Consold tech and old hands in charge. Stop chasing off the managers that dare to push back and get rid of the dead weight in the sales team

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do so many people never come close to hitting quota? Where are the developers and the help desk personnel?

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for less than a year

ProsLarge portfolio of solutions. Several of the mainframe applications are definitely leading edge but there are many that are dudes.

Consheavily focused on mainframe with few open systems technology. Much of the technology is second rate and not competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some technologies

Worst job in 20 year sales career!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Allen Systems Group full-time for less than a year

ProsSeems that new sales management team is a bit brighter than the existing team but this is a big ship to turn.

ConsThere are many but here are just a few of the more prominent ones:

1) The people at corporate took a 20% pay cut years ago. They stayed on because they are in Naples, FL and it would be difficult to find other work locally. For the most part they do as little as possible, have tons of attitude and just want to "survive another day". When I visited the corporate office for two weeks for training, I hardly saw anyone. They were all heads down and hiding out. It was a very depressing scene.

2) The Line of Business Directors are non-responsive. When they do respond, they are often condescending, rude, evasive and often never answer the question. I feel for them because they are incredibly understaffed but if they spent more time doing the work than avoiding it, they would be in a better place.

3) Want to ask a technical question of a System Engineer? You can but first you need to fill out a form to request a resource. Then pray that they ever get back to you. Some of their best products have 150 sales people to 1 or 2 System Engineers

4) Want to do a demo? Well after you speak to someone you learn that the next available date can be a month out. That doesn’t mean that they will show up. I had several demos in a row where the SE never even showed up. When I called to see what, they told me they had more important things come up or the demo environment wasn’t working.

5) The products were all decent when the company purchased them. However they quickly let go of almost all staff and development grinds to a halt. Most of the segments they compete in are crowded with more established products and/or companies.

6) Lastly and most annoying to a field rep are first line managers that manage to metrics. After 20 years in the biz, I find it offensive to be grilled about how many calls I made each day or how many site visits I had last week.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot going to bother. They don't seem to think sales people have value ... they just keep hiring replacements

Stay away from Allen Systems Group

I have been working at Allen Systems Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere is no good reason to work at Allen Systems Group unless you are stuck with no where else to go. Good products are left with no desire for improvement.

ConsA terrible work environment. The CEO is a megalomaniac that rukes with fear. Senior management folks are just as clueless as interns.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to a better organized and motivated group of investors.

Worked for Allen Systems Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allen Systems Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allen Systems Group CEO Art Allen. All 128 reviews posted anonymously by Allen Systems Group employees.