Allergan

Allergan Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott

David E. I. Pyott

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and work/life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Pretty good benefits, including a GREAT tuition reimbursement program"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance tilted too far to work side- not family friendly"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management changed direction frequently and sometimes made questionable decisions"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for, large company with a small company feel

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan

ProsGreat campus with lots of on-site perks, knowledgable staff

ConsLength of time to convert temps

So close, and yet so far...

Outside Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation, co-workers, accounts. Working at Allergan really was a rewarding experience on so many levels.

ConsAllergan is so good, in so many ways. And yet... it still operates very much like a good ol' boys club straight outta' Mad Men. If you're IN, God bless you. If you're OUT, Lord help you. There is a huge amount of under-utilized talent in this company that, if provided the proper channels, could contribute huge value to Allergan's shareholders, providers and patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementProactively create new channels of opportunity for the next generation, especially women and minorities. This won't be succumbing to "diversity," it will be ensuring Allergan's leadership position well into the future.

Growing company but many internal communication issues

Medical Science Liaison (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWell Organized Medical affairs department,

ConsThe system is imbalanced and biased

Advice to Senior ManagementMore/ better communication between the departments

A lot expected for little reward (Waco, TX facility)

Chemistry Lab Tech II (Current Employee)
Waco, TX

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours, great place for new grads to meet each other, company performance above average overall

ConsSub-par pay, favoritism, inconsistently enforced procedures/SOPs, lack of teamwork (especially between departments), high level of complacency (lots of spoilage), poor middle management in all departments, Waco is not the best for everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementPinpoint the hard workers, reward them, and cut the underperformers

Average company to work with

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than a year

ProsAverage company to work with compensation is ok

ConsLow salary no room to grow

Advice to Senior ManagementMicro management

It's been ok. Some bad, some good.

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmaller company. Niche products. Doesn't want to compete with big pharma. Strategy is to find smaller but profitable growth markets with low competition, unmet medical needs. Excellent CEO who is very open and transparent. Unlikely take over target due to market diversity, revenue growth and share price.

ConsIn some positions there unfortunately are some former big pharma people in middle management that think the most important thing is adding head count.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't confuse years of experience and job title with ability to perform and lead. Look for and develop higher caliber leaders.

Stay away from Santa Barbara location- worst culture ever!

Mid Level Manager (Current Employee)
Goleta, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent monetary compensation for high demand positions.
If you can leverage the Santa Barbara location into a position in Irvine it might be worthwhile.
I have heard great things and met great and competent people who work out of the Irvine location. Irvine location has great perks as well.
A few solid leaders but most have hit their ceiling at the Sr. Manager/Director level. Only one or two good people at the VP level.

ConsHighly Incompetent Senior Management in Development (MT), Regulatory (BK/HL), Project Management (TC), and Quality (MZ/SG).....seriously, how did these people ever get to the role they are in? I mean, having a MD/PhD or being a VP at a startup does not automatically make you a superstar or give you the experience you need to run an organization. Too many relying on their credentials and not on actual leadership and action.
Location makes it tough to move once you are there. Few other local opportunities.
Benefits only "ok". All the perks are in the Irvine location. Nothing for the Santa Barbara location. The only employee event is a "holiday lunch" in December. Nothing else.
Promotions only available during annual reviews regardless of performance and job duties.
Tough to fill positions due to high cost of living location. Instead they hire incompetent or new grads instead.
Corporate oversight for all decisions and spending. No budget for teambuilding or travel unless you are VP and above (and even then it needs to be approved at the corporate level)
Culture of "someone else's problem" exists in all functions. No desire to step in to just get the job done.
Lots of major issues have delayed decisions to avoid the difficult discussions with Irvine leadership.
A hand full of people do 90% of the work. There ARE talented people here. They are just far and few between. Unfortunately very few of those are in leadership roles and those that are have been resigning at a rapid rate.
Facility is poor. They are lacking offices for managers and there is nowhere to eat that is within walking distance. Food trucks used to be here regularly but now they are rare.
There has been a "boys club" that has started to break up recently with a few departures. There was a layoff last year and some that should have lost there jobs but were friends with the VP of R&D were provided leadership roles in departments that they had no experience in. Call it the "PhD in Chemical Engineering from UCSB Club". Some of those people have left but others remain "protected".
Too many people where this company in this location that have never worked anywhere else. This has led to a continued startup mentality and inability to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany senior leaders are hiding the real status of projects. These few are the reason for projects not completing on time. If the company culture doesn't change and the current leadership remains, it will be a continual revolving door for key positions.

Pharm Sales

Senior Territory Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe money, bonus and salary are best things about this company.

Consno work life balance, they own you for that salary/bonus/benefits. they will get rid of you at the drop of a dime if there's anything at all they don't like, and you won't even know they're planning it.

Advice to Senior Managementkarma

Watch out for the bureaucracy...

I have been working at Allergan full-time

Pros-Excellent top brass management (CEO, CSO, CMO); consistently send the right messages about expectations for how the business and science should be run (cut down bureaucracy, minimize unnecessary meetings, don't need excessive numbers of people to make decisions etc)
-Company culture cares to make employees happy (Wellness program, great new cafeteria)
-Some really exciting, meaningful science and projects with much effort to provide adequate resources

Cons-The common employee does not deal with top brass management but with the increasing in number incompetent middle management (VPs and Directors); you have to work to please excessive numbers of useless managers and go through unnecessary management updates and reviews that in no way meaningfully contribute to moving things along
-Poor coomunication of information due to multiple layers between people actually close to the projects and final decision makers, not to mention the filtering of messages as it passes through the middle managers who feel the need to justify their existence
-As a scientist you will be cut off from interacting with the broader scientific community due to very limited support for attending conferences and training

Advice to Senior ManagementDemand more from your middle managers, avoid situations where employees have to go through multiple layers and even parallel levels of management review to get the job done, audit the time scientists spend on useless G&A activities (such as initiative after initiative), insist people spend the majority of there time meaningfully supporting projects (and being the 3rd layer of mananagement review in 4 layers of management before it goes to a decision maker doesn't count), perform 360 reviews on middle management functional heads, grow leadership from within to ensure Allergan culture is maintained

Manager

I have been working at Allergan full-time

ProsGood opportunities to grow. Great leadership.

ConsGive more work-life balance benefits - gym / day care assistance, etc

Worked for Allergan? Contribute to the Community!

Allergan Videos

Allergan – Why Work for Us?

From diverse strengths come important new therapies that make a real difference. Allergan is a multi-specialty health care company established more than 60 years ago with a commitment to uncover the best of science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allergan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allergan CEO David E. I. Pyott. All 143 reviews posted anonymously by Allergan employees.