Allergan

Allergan Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott

David E. I. Pyott

Pros:
  • "Good work-life balance, excellent benefits, lovely corporate headquarters, stability, great management"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Pretty good benefits, including a GREAT tuition reimbursement program"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance tilted too far to work side- not family friendly"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management changed direction frequently and sometimes made questionable decisions"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Allergan!

I have been working at Allergan

ProsCulture is good. Great cafeteria.

ConsLowball you big time on salary

Great

I have been working at Allergan

ProsGreat company with good products

ConsVery commercially driven that appreciated the role of science

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognized your employees more and they will work harder. Doesn't have to be always have to be financial recognition.

A lot of penny-pinching and waffling

Coordinator (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great co-workers, decent benefits, good facilities/atmosphere. Even when cuts or changes are abundant, people maintain a good attitude. Competitive pay (depending on the position).

ConsFor a company that constantly posts healthy profits, there's a lot of penny-pinching and cheap behavior. Higher management seems mercurial and changes direction often for little reason. Advancement seems difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer, more consistent info and communication is key.

This company wasn't what it used to be like.

Product Surveillance (Former Employee)
Goleta, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than a year

ProsA quiet place to work.

ConsRecent staff cut backs in some departments have lead to overworked and very irate employees. Current employee positions are almost never replaced.

Overall great company. Culture and management at all levels require massive change.

Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time

ProsCompensation is great, but should be improved based on tremendous workload you're given. Nice campus, but could use updates. CEO knows how to make money and keep the company moving ahead. He knows how to make good decisions with product pipeline and purchasing new companies. There are lots of people who are intelligent, sharp and great to work with. Depending on the department you work in, if you stay the course and excel in your work and work hard, you will be rewarded.

ConsThey will work you to death! Grossly inefficient work processes and incompetent senior managers, directors, senior directors who got their positions based on friendships. Completely clueless management who cannot understand how to make things efficient. GDD consistently preaches things are getting better, but they are getting worse. Too many of these managers have been there so long and have no other real industry experience to understand how to make things work better. And, they don't want to listen to the individuals who have more experience and education than they do. Constantly make wrong decisions on new hires. People hired don't know anything about the job because they don't have the knowledge or expertise to back up their role. Major friction occurs because these people must be spoon fed on everything. Total waste of time and again, lack of efficiency. When you bring to management's attention, they don't want to hear it, make excuse after excuse and totally disregard your feedback. No support from the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting nurses, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals in senior level positions where they have to manage people and processes to run a business. They are science minded and have no clue how to manage workload or build efficient processes. For senior executives, get with the program. You need to change your work at home policy to keep up with the 21st century. Allergan boasts green initiatives, but yet refuses to change it. Some get to work from home and others do not, yet HR has zero tolerance on this topic. If you do for one, do for all! Get rid of people who don't cut the mustard! And stop pretending your management is good. I would say less than mediocre, at best.

Great place to work. The people were always friendly and the company had periodical employee picnics.

I have been working at Allergan full-time

ProsGreat people and fun atmosphere.

ConsSome of the departments (sales) were not the nicest!

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more seasoned employees.

Great company, great people

Engineer (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation, good products, very effective CEO. The company really knows what it is good at and is able to capitalize on those products or systems. Growth will be rewarded, non growers will be cut (see Lap-Band and the IOL franchises). Always looking for the next big idea.

ConsSilos can exist, middle management not empowered to the level they should be, very US focused in the Device area. Working in SB and Irvine can be difficult if you have a shared role or report to the other location.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand globally faster with all product lines

The rise and fall of an empire.

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat customers. Good employees to work with. Good opportunity for advancement in first 5 to 8 years. Good benefits package.

ConsNo opportunity or respect for the seasoned sales representative. Work/life balance tilted too far to work side- not family friendly. Younger reps brought in at same rank and salary as older, proven reps. Young reps fast tracked to management on sales ability only, not management skills-two different skill sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch turn over stats under managers-there is a reason. Be fair with resources and managed care in your more rural and disadvantaged territories, be on the side of your representatives, do not work against them (Mike Ball understood this principle) but work for them & with them. When a rep comes to you please listen: they could have gone to the FEDS instead of you- it will happen as people who try to "do the right thing" disappear from Allergan. Create something beyond SSE for those who serve you with their loyalty (no advacements available for field reps after 5 years-come on!). Treat your seasoned reps with more respect and dignity- they bring more to the table than you give them in return.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A company that really needs to promote its reputation

Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery nice weather, nice people.

ConsOverloaded employees with low pay, bad culture, bad management, incompetent directors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote science, promote talents, empower employees, pay employees at market.

Demotivating work environment

I have been working at Allergan full-time

Pros-The compensation and benefits are decent
-The work load is acceptable
-The projects are interesting
-The location is pleasant

Cons-Very hard to get a promotion if you're not friend with the right people in upper management
-Because of this, some people end up in high level positions without having the competences and experience
-This results in most people having given up on the idea of getting rewarded or recognized for their hard work

Advice to Senior ManagementSome things are pretty obvious by now as to where certain issues come from, so I will just say to management "Stop burying your head in the sand"

Worked for Allergan? Contribute to the Community!

Allergan Videos

Allergan – Why Work for Us?

From diverse strengths come important new therapies that make a real difference. Allergan is a multi-specialty health care company established more than 60 years ago with a commitment to uncover the best of science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allergan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allergan CEO David E. I. Pyott. All 142 reviews posted anonymously by Allergan employees.