Allergan

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThings constantly change. Good opportunities come up for those who excel. People who do well are rewarded. Time commitment / workload is well-managed. Company is run well.

ConsA lot of focus on metrics is a good practice but sometimes hurtful. For example, holding the contingent number down for the sake of the metric prevents teams from executing. Sometimes overly bureaucratic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush stock options further down into the organization.

Scientist

Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and work/life balance.

ConsVery bueracratic. Slow moving and lack of holding individuals accountable for performance metrics.

If you complain, you will be "black balled"

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat cafeteria. plenty of training if you take advantage of it.

ConsDirectors and Managers have their "pet" employees. These employees do no wrong! These same "pet" employees have a lighter work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, do not micro manage and no more nepotism in your own departments.

Great Benefits, Little passion

Research Engineer (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time for less than a year

ProsThe benefits are great if you're at the HQ

ConsAs soon as the clock hit 5:30, the place emptied. Little passion for your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to instill some passion into your workers.

great place to work with amazing growth opportunities

Senior Manager (7E) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits package, and really great growth opportunities within the organization.

ConsHave been seeing alot of restructuring within the organization over the last couple of years so strategic layoffs have unfortunately followed.

Good Place to Work, Overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work for leased (i.e., temporary) employees; they treat you just as well (if not better) than the "permanent" employees. Pretty good benefits, including a GREAT tuition reimbursement program. Decent wage/salary compensation. Good work-life balance overall. In general, there's pretty good synergy within departments, and the managers work just as hard, if not harder, than the subordinates (can't say that for all the employers I've had). The Irvine facility itself is great, with many perks (gym, playing fields, a cafeteria that actually serves decent food) and well-located, logistically. The turnover rate (one of the best indicators of a company's overall health/functioning) was very good (i.e., low), at least when I was there (2007-2010). In general, being able to say you work for Allergan carries a degree of prestige (if that's important to you).

ConsDepending upon your position, the workload can alternate between "insanity" and "near-complete boredom" (I suppose that's true for a lot of jobs, though). Fairly frequent complaining about micro-management occurring. From what I've gathered, the actual pay is a bit less than other bio-pharm companies.

Good place to work and gain industry experience.

Associate Professional (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits and decent salary

ConsBecause the company is so large, many of the roles are narrow in scope and can limit gaining experience of the bigger picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring new people to perform a narrowly defined role, invest more time in training current employees to perform the role and compensate them appropriately.

Interning at Allergan for the summer

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers, I liked that it was smaller corporate because I was able to interact with upper management even more than I thought I could. I learned so much high strategy work because of that and I really appreciate the opportunity.
I loved every moment! A lot of opportunity.

ConsSmaller company = less structured. but that of course can be turned into opportunity as well. I do not see anything so bad about the company?

Director and Sr Directors not very smart

RDIS Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat location and also, very good place to be if you want to not do much and play it safe. This is the place where every person that has no ambition should love.

ConsMy senior Director actually told me to come down a level or two. This is an actual quote. He actually thought I was doing too good a job. I suspect I was making him look stupid in meetings too.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some good seeds at the Sr Director level. Do not let them get spoiled by the not very smart. It is too bad actually

It is OK if you like a stable job with low pay

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is very stable

ConsTo conservative and limited career grow

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be more flexible to allow employee work from home if needed

Worked for Allergan? Contribute to the Community!

Allergan Videos

Allergan – Why Work for Us?

From diverse strengths come important new therapies that make a real difference. Allergan is a multi-specialty health care company established more than 60 years ago with a commitment to uncover the best of science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allergan reviews and ratings in Irvine, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allergan CEO David E. I. Pyott. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Allergan employees.