Allergan Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott
David E. I. Pyott

Pros
  • They have a standard time off policy and the company work-life balance is fairly well managed (in 10 reviews)

• Pretty good benefits, including a GREAT tuition reimbursement program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work/life balance; no understanding or tolerance of extenuating circumstances (in 13 reviews)

• Very weak senior management team especially HR (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture Great people

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture at Allergan is very entrepreneurial. You see little bureaucracy in the office and there is a strong can-do attitude and everyone focuses on getting things done. It's very hard to hide behind red tape here.

The office is very international - you don't find a dominant British culture here. Especially at the management level I'd say there are even more non-British than British - from all over continental Europe and also quite a few Aussies. People value what you deliver and are very result-driven, especially in the Commercial area including marketing and sales.

Cons

There has been some degree of complacency due to the success where the company has outperformed the Pharmaceutical industry for more than 20 years. Leadership is too comfortable with the success and is not innovating its business model. Also with the relatively small size compared to the giants such as GSK or Pfizer, there is little room for innovation fund - which makes the culture very project centric. This means the strategy can be short-sighted with less investment for long term growth.

Great Company!

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, strong pipeline with heavy emphasis on R&D, and great group of people to work with. Performance based rewards...high functioning and demanding.

Cons

Large geographical territories, administrative duties can be a task (but that's normal for all companies).

Wonderful experience, hard work and innovation are rewarded

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Positive collaborative work environment with lots of advancement opportunities

Cons

Tough to achieve work life balance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a wonderful place to work at

I have been working at Allergan full-time

Pros

Beautiful campus, great location, lots of flexibility, no micro-management, professional coworkers and many opportunities to work on several different projects.

Cons

Compensation and raises may be lower than other companies. Hard to move up without a PhD if you're in research. Overall, this company has great company culture, although in the past few years, it isn't as apparent as it use to be.

One of the few rewarding companies

Current Employee - Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work life balance and smart colleagues.

Cons

Can get stressful with layered management and personality clashes.

Give financial recognition to long loyal employees.

Rock solid!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistent messaging. Focus on what we deliver and its impact on our patients. Emphasis on collaboration, passion, innovation. Great place for a go-getter who is not afraid to take on more responsibility in pursuit of greater opportunity. Competitive salaries and benefits. Beautiful campus. Encouragement and tools to get healthy-stay healthy.

Cons

Like every other organization, we now do more with less. Maintaining that work-life balance is an increasingly challenging state and a sign of the times.

Continue to provide in roads for dedicated employees to advance, and offer cross-training and mentoring to increase their value to the organization.

Great work environment in R&D

Former Employee - R&D Biological Sciences  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - R&D Biological Sciences in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Really friendly work environment and great leadership from upper management and supervisors. Lots of meetings with different departments so everyone knows about what is going on at the company.

Cons

Research sometimes requires coming in on weekends and holidays to complete experiments. Somewhat strict company policies.

Awesome

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Really great people and products

Cons

None - great place to work

Stay independent

Excellent atmosphere

Former Employee - Executive Secretary  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Secretary in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The betterment of humanity. Excellent culture. Truly will acknowledge and reward innovative/cost savings/bottom-line enhancing/efficiency related ideas.

I did recommend a friend and a relative for positions and both were hired and happy/fulfilled.

Cons

Depends on the group/department. Overall dedicated people who pursue their life's career passion are the happiest to be around.

Allergan is a great company to work for with a portfolio of extremely good products.

Current Employee - Finance  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Allergan is the single largest employer based in Orange County and they strive to treat their employees right. They have a standard time off policy and the company work-life balance is fairly well managed. Allergan also has a very generous tuition reimbursement program.

Cons

Career-advancement; the opportunities are somewhat limited to advance, and they sometimes lose talent due to the lack of clear career-pathing.

Please consider building a career pathing tool and integrate it as a part of the annual review process.

Worked for Allergan? Contribute to the Community!