Allergan

Allergan Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott

David E. I. Pyott

Pros:
  • "They have a standard time off policy and the company work-life balance is fairly well managed"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Pretty good benefits, including a GREAT tuition reimbursement program"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance tilted too far to work side- not family friendly"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Senior management changed direction frequently and sometimes made questionable decisions"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work

Goleta, CA

ProsBenefits, schedule and co-workers are great. You often work in an environment with intelligent, hard-working people who are dedicated to doing the right thing and challenge you to excel.

ConsThe work/life balance can be non-exisitant; promotions can be very hard to come by, and are often based not on the merit of your work or need, but only if there is a vacancy in that next position/title.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management can be very disconnected and unresponsive, I would like to see them become more involved.

First 6 years were good working under the Director that hired me. However, mgmt in general were quite dystunctional.

Senior Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsBenefits were decent. Campus lovely.

ConsHighly politically charged environment. Upper and middle management have no regard for their employees whatsoever.

Good work environment, implement continuous improvement, but need to be more fair on promotion and workload.

Irvine, CA

ProsMost employees are good and smart, many opportunities for growth. Good time-off policies, good work environment. Treat long term employees well.

ConsInconsistent promotions duration among different departments. Unfair compensation for amount of workloads and between levels. For example an employee at a lower level makes almost as much as an employee at one higher level who has much more years of experience and responsibilities. Some department started to implement horizontal advancement instead of vertical.

Advice to Senior ManagementApply what was learn from coaching workshop.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

R&D culture needs to improve

Scientist (Former Employee)

Pros• Great facilities and campus
    • Great growth and promotional opportunities for PhD scientists early in career
    • Great learning opportunities due to smaller company size
    • There are individuals who are well-trained, innovative, and easy to work with

Cons• Limited growth and promotional opportunities for middle career PhD scientists
    • Lack of clear accountability for decision making
    • Lack of focus on activities that drive decision making
    • Poor leadership and communication skills by line and middle management
    • Too many initiatives on engagement and leadership
    • Persistent low performance of too many scientists

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease growth and promotional opportunities by reevaluating steps at the high end. Completely separate management and scientific tracks to maximize opportunities and growth for scientists (project work) and managers (people, operations and organizational strategy).Strengthen line and middle management, and remove layers of lower management and those with poor communication skills. Maximize PhD scientists by limiting non-judgement-based work. Actively manage those scientists that can be trained, and manage out those who truly have limited capabilities.

My feedback from working at allergan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Products and worked with some great, talented people

ConsVery weak senior management team especially HR

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the entire HR team from the top down with strong, qualified individuals that see human capital as a strategic imperative for success vs being the "hound" for the senior commercial team

No Life, only work

Management (Current Employee)

ProsGreat products I believe in. Different job. Pharmaceutical with a medical quota to perform which is different.

ConsWork all the time. I have never received a bonus as promised. "This year will be amazing" ummm no. I get my bonus and am convinced an expense report was approved. Lots of turn over. I have no life.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be positive once in awhile. I go above and beyond all the time. No one notices but the customer.

Awesome

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsReally great people and products

ConsNone - great place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementStay independent

Excellent atmosphere

Executive Secretary (Former Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThe betterment of humanity. Excellent culture. Truly will acknowledge and reward innovative/cost savings/bottom-line enhancing/efficiency related ideas.

I did recommend a friend and a relative for positions and both were hired and happy/fulfilled.

ConsDepends on the group/department. Overall dedicated people who pursue their life's career passion are the happiest to be around.

Good company for stability but look elsewhere if you have ambition.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob is stable and hours are reasonable.

ConsCareer opportunities are lacking and you need five signatures and four meetings to change the TP in the bathroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower people to do stuff. Middle management gets a bad deal because they have the responsibility to make progress but no authority to make it happen.

The pay is the only thing keeping me here.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe starting hourly pay for the CSR position is very good for the Austin area, but that may have changed in the past 2 years.

I have met some very interesting people and forged new friendships during my time working here.

ConsPassive aggressive "nag" emails.

High turnover rate; replacements are not being hired fast enough to keep up, which means a bigger workload for those who remain.

Management focuses heavily on numbers and statistics to gauge performance; little to no recognition for providing excellent customer service.

Very little work/life balance; no understanding or tolerance of extenuating circumstances.

No parking spots close to the building for those who have later shift start times.

I was held accountable for missing an important email due to a system issue that had affected the entire building.

Appropriate compensation is not offered for creating additional revenue for the company.

Upper management has shown to be disorganized in dealing with issues such as facilities in disrepair or system outages.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees appropriately for creating additional revenue for the company.

Focus less on the numbers, and more on how effectively your employees are serving your clients.

Take measures to improve work/life balance. Be more understanding when issues come up; be willing to negotiate.

Worked for Allergan? Contribute to the Community!

Allergan Videos

Allergan – Why Work for Us?

From diverse strengths come important new therapies that make a real difference. Allergan is a multi-specialty health care company established more than 60 years ago with a commitment to uncover the best of science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allergan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allergan CEO David E. I. Pyott. All 167 reviews posted anonymously by Allergan employees.