Allergan Reviews

277 reviews filtered by
3.4
Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott
David E. I. Pyott

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, with onsite gyms and programs to aid with your well being (in 18 reviews)

• The company offered good benefits and there were some great people to work with (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work/life balance; no understanding or tolerance of extenuating circumstances (in 18 reviews)

• Layoffs targeted the lowest levels instead of "cutting the fat" in middle management (in 12 reviews)

1. Not the same Company It Use to Be

Former Employee - Senior Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They use to care about career growth and internal product commercial growth. Now not sure what is important beside the remaining Irvine employees wondering if there is yet another round of job cuts.

Cons

It is place to come to work everyday to see empty office, good smart people gone, and wonder if your job will be consolidated and cut next.

Employees are what make the company, not the products. Need to really understand the impact of massive job cuts on those left behind.

One and only in Orange County

Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent salary; state of the art working environment and instruments; Incredible job safety before it was acquired; Classy management team.

Cons

I am no longer there.

Continue to believe in your team and cultivate them.

Great pharmaceutical company that is growing and diversifying.. Dynamic work environment

Current Employee - Lab Technician
    Current Employee - Lab Technician

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Good entry level exposure to pharmaceutical industry. High standards for quality and customer service.
    Continuous training opportunities.

Cons

Certain departments have few to non advancement opportunities
    Lower salary compared to most pharmaceutical companies
    Long work hours

5. Fine Company

Former Contractor - IT Technical Writer in Irvine, CA
    Former Contractor - IT Technical Writer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

well organized with clear well-defined goals. Managers and supervisors are not only intelligent but likable.

Cons

They dumped all contractors in a buy-out war, and they got bought=out.

6. Best company to work in OC

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

People's friendly, great management, great health benefits

Cons

Rewarding system is not up to the mark. 1 out 500 gets it.

Please reward employees who are working hard for the company!

7. Good working

Current Employee - Clinical Programmer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Programmer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Working,some many Technology too learn

Cons

Need to Demonstrate and convince when you bring new technology

8. Allergan Work Experience

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Ok benefits : health insurance, gym membership, they pay well

Cons

Big on micromanaging; Allergan allows the sales representatives to talk in very degrading and verbally aggressive ways to other Allergan employees. Although this has been addressed by many, many employees... they tend to use HR / Politically Correct answers to sweep it under the rug; it's never ending - never resolved.

Listen when an employee feels they are being treated unfairly. Listen when an employee has an idea that he / she feels that will improve processes. Stop talking about how things cant be done and start finding a way they can be done. Don't say you want to hear peoples opinion just so you can say you "listen" but then knock down every word that comes out of everybody's mouth. People are not children; they don't want to be handled or pacified. Don't try to extinguish the person, try to extinguish your ego. When you walk out the door your title / position means nothing to the people who work "under" you. All that matters is the respect you have EARNED. It's one thing to have people whom you give special privileges to that allows them to work less and get praised more. Of course they will only speak well of you. Earning respect is not getting a few people to tell you your funny and a great boss. It's doing the right thing at all times to everybody... it's called character.

9. Very good Company

Current Employee - Senior Statistical Programmer
    Current Employee - Senior Statistical Programmer

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Very good well manage organization when it comes to Sr management

Cons

lots of politics within some other departments. Hard to get in

10. Great Company

Former Employee - IS Digital Marketing Services - SCM Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - IS Digital Marketing Services - SCM Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. They treated me well, they grew my IT career and skill-set tremendously, they gave me full autonomy to learn, implement, and serve as a strategic SME. I took a lot of fun and informative business trips for various IT conferences and support roles. The perks are great: beautiful campus, lots of employee discounts on all sorts of goods and services, educational opportunities, opportunities for advancement ... merit increases, promotions, and even unexpected market-study raises during my time there.

IT management are smart enough to know when the operational people they manage are have a higher technical aptitude, and will give them autonomy to voice their opinions and even sway strategic decisions.

Fairly fast adopters with new technology

Management open door policy truly is an open door policy

I enjoyed my work, the environment, the culture, etc

From a political and business perspective, the Director of IS Digital Marketing Services and Sr. Director of North America Commercial I.S. are two of the greatest and most facilitative mentors I've ever had!

Cons

The executive team had a habit of keeping big org changes underneath a shroud of mystery until the last minute, and then drop the big bomb during “All Hands Meetings” streamed on video throughout the enterprise globally. A bit more transparency would go a long way with morale.
    The parking situation is downright awful!

I.T. sometimes has a habit of identifying a need and throwing the closest/most available body at the problem, rather than filling the role with the most appropriate person. A lot of projects had gone awry due to, in some cases, truly incapable people managing.

From an I.T. perspective, there are unbreakable silos from business channel to business channel. Allergan squanders and unbelievable amount of money in re-developing, re-purchasing, re-implementing redundant technologies simply due to ignorance and lack of awareness between the different business channels/brands.

In some cases, not all, time-served is weighed and rewarded more heavily than competence. During my time there, I had dealt with several managers who presided over cutting edge projects, with technical aptitudes and skill-sets outdated by several decades.

I can only speak from an I.T. perspective - provide some incentives/mechanisms for MANAGERS to keep their relevant technology IQ and skill sets up to date.

11. Good company if survive Actavis Allergan integration...

Current Employee - Information Services in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Information Services in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good with bonus and merit. Good opportunity for personal growth. company well run. able to increase share holder value.

Cons

uncertainty looms large with Actavis Allergan integration. guidance given tend to be vague. work life can be better well balance. compensation too focus on metrics.

too much repeat of the same verbiage during Actavis Allergan integration. would love to have clearer guidance. management with open door policy is not too helpful if cannot say anything of substance.

Allergan Photos