Allergan Reviews

1. Best company to work in OC

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

People's friendly, great management, great health benefits

Cons

Rewarding system is not up to the mark. 1 out 500 gets it.

Advice to Management

Please reward employees who are working hard for the company!

2. Used to be a Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good working environment, had strong R&D leadership team and marketing team. Used to be a very research-oriented company. Company was doing well on developing new products and markets.

Cons

Working environment deteriorates. Low morale. A lot of talented people have left, especially in R&D. The company is more like a generic drug pharma.

3. Good working

Current Employee - Clinical Programmer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Programmer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Working,some many Technology too learn

Cons

Need to Demonstrate and convince when you bring new technology

5. Very good Company

Current Employee - Senior Statistical Programmer
    Current Employee - Senior Statistical Programmer

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Very good well manage organization when it comes to Sr management

Cons

lots of politics within some other departments. Hard to get in

6. Great Company

Former Employee - IS Digital Marketing Services - SCM Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - IS Digital Marketing Services - SCM Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. They treated me well, they grew my IT career and skill-set tremendously, they gave me full autonomy to learn, implement, and serve as a strategic SME. I took a lot of fun and informative business trips for various IT conferences and support roles. The perks are great: beautiful campus, lots of employee discounts on all sorts of goods and services, educational opportunities, opportunities for advancement ... merit increases, promotions, and even unexpected market-study raises during my time there.

IT management are smart enough to know when the operational people they manage are have a higher technical aptitude, and will give them autonomy to voice their opinions and even sway strategic decisions.

Fairly fast adopters with new technology

Management open door policy truly is an open door policy

I enjoyed my work, the environment, the culture, etc

From a political and business perspective, the Director of IS Digital Marketing Services and Sr. Director of North America Commercial I.S. are two of the greatest and most facilitative mentors I've ever had!

Cons

The executive team had a habit of keeping big org changes underneath a shroud of mystery until the last minute, and then drop the big bomb during “All Hands Meetings” streamed on video throughout the enterprise globally. A bit more transparency would go a long way with morale.
    The parking situation is downright awful!

I.T. sometimes has a habit of identifying a need and throwing the closest/most available body at the problem, rather than filling the role with the most appropriate person. A lot of projects had gone awry due to, in some cases, truly incapable people managing.

From an I.T. perspective, there are unbreakable silos from business channel to business channel. Allergan squanders and unbelievable amount of money in re-developing, re-purchasing, re-implementing redundant technologies simply due to ignorance and lack of awareness between the different business channels/brands.

In some cases, not all, time-served is weighed and rewarded more heavily than competence. During my time there, I had dealt with several managers who presided over cutting edge projects, with technical aptitudes and skill-sets outdated by several decades.

Advice to Management

I can only speak from an I.T. perspective - provide some incentives/mechanisms for MANAGERS to keep their relevant technology IQ and skill sets up to date.

Not the same Company It Use to Be

Former Employee - Senior Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They use to care about career growth and internal product commercial growth. Now not sure what is important beside the remaining Irvine employees wondering if there is yet another round of job cuts.

Cons

It is place to come to work everyday to see empty office, good smart people gone, and wonder if your job will be consolidated and cut next.

Advice to Management

Employees are what make the company, not the products. Need to really understand the impact of massive job cuts on those left behind.

8. Good company if survive Actavis Allergan integration...

Current Employee - Information Services in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Information Services in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is good with bonus and merit. Good opportunity for personal growth. company well run. able to increase share holder value.

Cons

uncertainty looms large with Actavis Allergan integration. guidance given tend to be vague. work life can be better well balance. compensation too focus on metrics.

Advice to Management

too much repeat of the same verbiage during Actavis Allergan integration. would love to have clearer guidance. management with open door policy is not too helpful if cannot say anything of substance.

9. Great place to work in Irvine, CA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

competitive compensation (salaries reviewed annually to ensure fairness and market rates). Active effort to retain high performers (bonuses, salary adjustments, promotions, equity awards).

Cons

unknown future due to upcoming merger with Actavis. Actavis HQ'd in New Jersey (leadership in NJ). Might have limited growth in Irvine.

Advice to Management

enable more people to have equity awards below the Director level. find a way to maintain culture in Irvine site.

10. As a medium sized biopharmaceutical company it is great to work for...

Former Employee - Research Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan

Pros

Great opportunity to learn, good teamwork environments, friendly senior members are always ready to help, working hours are quite flexible as long as you get the jobs done...

Cons

Can not think of any as I have only been a contingent worker(paid intern) there for 3 months.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of...

11. Allergan Work Experience

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Ok benefits : health insurance, gym membership, they pay well

Cons

Big on micromanaging; Allergan allows the sales representatives to talk in very degrading and verbally aggressive ways to other Allergan employees. Although this has been addressed by many, many employees... they tend to use HR / Politically Correct answers to sweep it under the rug; it's never ending - never resolved.

Advice to Management

Listen when an employee feels they are being treated unfairly. Listen when an employee has an idea that he / she feels that will improve processes. Stop talking about how things cant be done and start finding a way they can be done. Don't say you want to hear peoples opinion just so you can say you "listen" but then knock down every word that comes out of everybody's mouth. People are not children; they don't want to be handled or pacified. Don't try to extinguish the person, try to extinguish your ego. When you walk out the door your title / position means nothing to the people who work "under" you. All that matters is the respect you have EARNED. It's one thing to have people whom you give special privileges to that allows them to work less and get praised more. Of course they will only speak well of you. Earning respect is not getting a few people to tell you your funny and a great boss. It's doing the right thing at all times to everybody... it's called character.

Allergan Photos