Allergan Reviews

1. Allergan Work Experience

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Ok benefits : health insurance, gym membership, they pay well

Cons

Big on micromanaging; Allergan allows the sales representatives to talk in very degrading and verbally aggressive ways to other Allergan employees. Although this has been addressed by many, many employees... they tend to use HR / Politically Correct answers to sweep it under the rug; it's never ending - never resolved.

Advice to Management

Listen when an employee feels they are being treated unfairly. Listen when an employee has an idea that he / she feels that will improve processes. Stop talking about how things cant be done and start finding a way they can be done. Don't say you want to hear peoples opinion just so you can say you "listen" but then knock down every word that comes out of everybody's mouth. People are not children; they don't want to be handled or pacified. Don't try to extinguish the person, try to extinguish your ego. When you walk out the door your title / position means nothing to the people who work "under" you. All that matters is the respect you have EARNED. It's one thing to have people whom you give special privileges to that allows them to work less and get praised more. Of course they will only speak well of you. Earning respect is not getting a few people to tell you your funny and a great boss. It's doing the right thing at all times to everybody... it's called character.

Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

They start you off with three weeks vacation. Discount on some products. Campus is gorgeous!

Cons

Management cannot make a decision to save their lives. Limited promotional opportunities. Resources are limited, yet they expect miracles. They do not award you when you go above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Know what the skill sets are in your organization so that you can leverage off of them. Give people the opportunity to expand their roles, especially when they are asking to take on more responsibility.

3. Allergan legal department

Current Employee - Counsel in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Counsel in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The legal department has a great culture where young attorneys are given important projects and expected to manage them with little oversight.

Cons

In recent years the company became more procedure oriented and less dynamic. Tendency is to stick with status quo because many people have been here so long and don't want to rock the boat.

Advice to Management

Consider ways to break down unnecessary process and reward smart risk-taking behavior.

Allergan Review for Pre- and Post- Hostile Take Over Attempt By Valeant

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Allergan PRE-hostile take over attempt by Valeant: Great company to work for. Although work/life balance can be non-existent at times, the company provides a lot of different amenities - on site cafeteria (although prices are rather high), gym, concierge services, on site car wash, discounted company products (no discount on Botox cosmetic though), discount movie and theme park tickets, etc. Allergan puts a lot of effort into employee development and training, which is nice. The company also does a lot for the community and donates a lot of time and money to charity organizations.

Post-hostile take over attempt by Valeant: The company had to cut $475 million from the R&D budget by the end of 2Q14. Most departments were impacted by these "cost cutting" measures (also known as "Project Endurance"). During this time (April to September 2014), senior and executive management did a great job of communicating updates on the Valeant (and now Actavis!) situations. Given the circumstances and the short time to make extremely difficult decisions, the company handled it respectfully and tastefully. The severance packages were generous too.

Cons

Allergan PRE-hostile take over attempt by Valeant: Lack of communication between cross-functional groups and departments. Job promotions seems to be based more on politics than actual performance. It's harder to get a promotion if you're a lower level employee. Too much bureaucracy for decisions to be made. Lack of accountability and responsibility.

Post-hostile take over attempt by Valeant: Lack of job security. Employee morale has been shot to hell. The work environment has been very tense and uncomfortable at times due to the impending doom of organizational restructuring and lay-offs. Everyone has been stressed out. The official reorg announcements didn't go out until the end of September 2014, so basically we went 5 months not know whether or not we'll get to keep our jobs. During this time, a number of talented people in my department left and found jobs at other companies.

Luckily, I survived project endurance but now face another major round of lay-offs due to the merger with Actavis. The past 10 months has been an emotional roller coaster ride from hell and doesn't look like it's going to be stopping any time soon! I have no idea what my future will be at Allergan (if I'm still here) or how the combined company will function. All I know is that things are definitely going to be different.

Advice to Management

Provide more clarity about expectations and roles and responsibilities to your team members. Facilitate cross functional communication. Awards and promotions should be based on exceptional job performance, not politics or favoritism. I know it might sound elementary, but acknowledge and discipline bad behaviors. If there are no consequences, bad behaviors are never going to change or improve.

6. I would said it a great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Operator in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Operator in Waco, TX

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's Climate Control, I came in as a Tech Operator Now I am a senior operator Like the time off I work 4 on one week and 3 on the nest week the benefits are great.

Cons

Have help with project in make the job better. coming up with ideal to make it easy to work on the lines

Advice to Management

I as that they give us better training.

7. Metrologist

Former Employee - Plant Technician in Waco, TX
    Former Employee - Plant Technician in Waco, TX

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay, friendly coworkers, will hire without age discrimination.

Cons

This company is so far behind on maintenance practices, not willing to consider suggestions or unwilling to act upon suggestions. . Not willing to purchase more equipment than the minimum to perform maintenance duties. No room for advancement. I worked for an unmotivated leader Manager who was content to do the minimum to get by with the department function for plant instrument calibrations support.

Advice to Management

Be willing to implement new ideas, don't tie the hands of departments regarding purchasing more equipment to perform their tasks.

8. Good company to work for in most ways ...

Former Employee - Management in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan

Pros

I liked the CEO, he knew how to run a company

Cons

Workloads were porrly managed, there didn't seem to be enough accountability for middle management at times. R&D produced very little of value.

Advice to Management

Things needed to have been shaken up.

It was once enjoyable coming in to work, but there are now a lot of question marks

I worked at Allergan

Pros

Competitive pay, nice benefits. The people that I worked with on a daily basis were great. Company has great products and knows how to pull through tough times.

Cons

Company was recently bought out after a long and ugly takeover attempt by a competitor and is now in the process of merging with another company. Expected layoffs in the near future.

Advice to Management

None

10. I was the "go-to" person for Marketing, Customer Service, Logistics and Sales Operations.

Former Employee - PRODUCT SAMPLE MANAGER in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - PRODUCT SAMPLE MANAGER in Irvine, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to take classes.

Cons

Wanted to try other departments and was unable to due to work.

Advice to Management

More one on ones.

11. Perfect place

I worked at Allergan

Pros

Nice location! Who can beat SoCal?

Cons

Becoming bureaucratic as time is elapsing.

Allergan Photos