Allergan

Updated January 21, 2015
3.4

Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott
David E. I. Pyott

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, with onsite gyms and programs to aid with your well being (in 18 reviews)

• The company offered good benefits and there were some great people to work with (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work/life balance; no understanding or tolerance of extenuating circumstances (in 18 reviews)

• Layoffs targeted the lowest levels instead of "cutting the fat" in middle management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Once a healthy place to work, now going toxic

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great home office location, high growth company, solid compensation and benefits. There are many long-term employees here which gives some groups a more familial atmosphere.

Cons

Corporate culture is rapidly changing for the worse. Instead of being the "we do it right" company that invests in R&D, it is quickly becoming a culture of bullies and yes-men, with employees being tasked with ever more work with ever fewer resources and less appreciation.

Ditch the Wall St. short term thinking and build things out for long term health again.

You're just a number. No, really, they give you a number.

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus. Benefits (medical, 401K, etc) were great a few years ago. Now it's probably cheaper to just buy from Obamacare. Generous starting salary. Fairly good work-life balance.

Cons

Greedy board of directors, CEO, upper management. Layoffs targeted the lowest levels instead of "cutting the fat" in middle management. Lots of information silos and very horrible communication barriers. It takes a ton of signoffs to get something done, including promotions, taking vacation, etc. You'll feel like Thomas Jefferson rallying signatures for the Declaration of Independence. Climbing up the corporate ladder is slow and rife w/ politics, corruption, and favoritism.

Remove yourselves and let the new ideas fruit. You've made enough already.

Worked with some great people but overall the experience was quite disappointing

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offered good benefits and there were some great people to work with.

Cons

Very discouraging atmosphere as promotions/rewards don't seem to be based on whether or not you do a good job. Not sure what it is based on but getting great reviews from peers and managers does not mean that you will be promoted. The company has also been in a fairly constant state of turmoil so job security is pretty much non-existent. The culture and values advertised by the senior leadership sounds great, unfortunately, none if is actually put into practice... at least not from middle management down.

Great culture

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Great interaction with doctors and staff

Cons

Big territory so not great work life balance

Wonderful experience, hard work and innovation are rewarded

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive collaborative work environment with lots of advancement opportunities

Cons

Tough to achieve work life balance

Great Company!

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, strong pipeline with heavy emphasis on R&D, and great group of people to work with. Performance based rewards...high functioning and demanding.

Cons

Large geographical territories, administrative duties can be a task (but that's normal for all companies).

Overall Allergan is a great company

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Not too bureaucratic and people are generally not backstabbers and work well together. Benefits are in line with other companies.

Cons

Currently under threat from company hostile takeover. Very stressful and a lot of people are nervous. Company tends to follow industry trends of structure rather than lead by example.

Don't assume what other companies are doing is better than how Allergan does it.

Stable, conservative business model. Leader in their niche market. Can have long career there.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once you learn the ropes, it becomes a "safe" place to work. People are generally friendly, and motivated to do high quality work. Produces some of the best products in their field. Leadership is conservative, low-risk, so growth is manageable. A career growth ladder exists for those with degrees. A bit slower for those without. Weather is nice. Nice campus. CEO is firm in his convictions and execution.

Cons

IT systems are always out-of-date (writing this on a Windows XP machine in 2014). Pay is exactly 50% of industry standard, so rarely attracts top talent except at C-level executives. Because of low-employee turnover, has significant bureaucratic inertia. Average people have no incentive to make waves, take risks, do something cutting edge. Reactive, rather than innovative. There are "hidden gem" employees who are great, and make you love working with them, but they are the most in demand, and are often overworked. Stock options only available to director level and above. Training? Here you go - learn by doing.

The company has much to offer (location, great product lines, good working environment) so why not attract fresh talent from top-tier schools? Your nearby competitors (Amgen, San Diego biotechs) are pulling those people with better compensation, even though they aren't as well-managed. Dare to be more cutting edge with investments in IT infrastructure, mobile utilities, personnel.

Great company, not so good department

Current Employee - Professional in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with pretty good benefits. Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, 401K and stock options. You start off with 3 weeks vacation a year, then you get 4 weeks once you get 5 years of employment. Stock has been doing really well over the past 10 years, so 401k has done really well. The campus is very large and includes gym, soccer/baseball field, tennis and basketball courts. There is also a nice cafeteria to use.

Salary is pretty good in my department, but dont expect large gains unless you brown nose the right people.
    There has been salary increases and bonuses almost every year I been here, even though the increases have been small.

Cons

The company is good, but my department is not. I found it very hard to move around and grow with the company (multiple failed attempts over 10 years). My experience has been that my department would rather hire from outside rather than move people up from within. Also, as of March 2014, the company has been unstable because of possible hostile takeover.

There has also been 4-5 layoff sessions throughout my 10 years with the company. Not sure if this is normal, but I consider it a negative for people looking to work at a secure company.

Lots of favoritism in my group, and kissin' butt is the only way to a successful career (well, at least until you get laid off...)

good pay and benefits but lack of advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good facilities, good pay and good benefits

Cons

lack of advancement, very political

mentor and develop you employees and then promote them so they don't leave

Allergan Photos