Allergan

www.allergan.com
Employer Engaged

Once a healthy place to work, now going toxic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great home office location, high growth company, solid compensation and benefits. There are many long-term employees here which gives some groups a more familial atmosphere.

Cons

Corporate culture is rapidly changing for the worse. Instead of being the "we do it right" company that invests in R&D, it is quickly becoming a culture of bullies and yes-men, with employees being tasked with ever more work with ever fewer resources and less appreciation.

Ditch the Wall St. short term thinking and build things out for long term health again.

Good company, but career development slow and hard-working people are not rewarded fairly

Current Employee - Scientist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good and rising company, culture is ok, many good scientists in RD, very capable and hardworking. Allergan has good product pipelines, some projects are excting. People usually stay here longer

Cons

Slow career development. hard-working may be challenged by asking "why not working smartly?". hard-working people are not well rewarded. promotion based on seniority or relationship with bosses. Culture asks RD scientists to focus on communication and visibility instead of projects or solving technical questions. Politics everywhere. hardworking or capability are not the most critical.

Fair and creative environment may be helpful to the company

You're just a number. No, really, they give you a number.

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice campus. Benefits (medical, 401K, etc) were great a few years ago. Now it's probably cheaper to just buy from Obamacare. Generous starting salary. Fairly good work-life balance.

Cons

Greedy board of directors, CEO, upper management. Layoffs targeted the lowest levels instead of "cutting the fat" in middle management. Lots of information silos and very horrible communication barriers. It takes a ton of signoffs to get something done, including promotions, taking vacation, etc. You'll feel like Thomas Jefferson rallying signatures for the Declaration of Independence. Climbing up the corporate ladder is slow and rife w/ politics, corruption, and favoritism.

Remove yourselves and let the new ideas fruit. You've made enough already.

Hard work, but a good company in Medford MA!!!!!!

Former Contractor - Supervisor in Medford, MA
    Former Contractor - Supervisor in Medford, MA

I worked at Allergan as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Oustanding Management= Raferal B.
    Interesting Product, great team work!!!!

Cons

Need better equiptment, more training.

Rafela, thank you and keep up your great leadership in Medford Ma.

Wonderful experience, hard work and innovation are rewarded

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive collaborative work environment with lots of advancement opportunities

Cons

Tough to achieve work life balance

Great Company!

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing corporate culture, strong pipeline with heavy emphasis on R&D, and great group of people to work with. Performance based rewards...high functioning and demanding.

Cons

Large geographical territories, administrative duties can be a task (but that's normal for all companies).

Worked with some great people but overall the experience was quite disappointing

I worked at Allergan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company offered good benefits and there were some great people to work with.

Cons

Very discouraging atmosphere as promotions/rewards don't seem to be based on whether or not you do a good job. Not sure what it is based on but getting great reviews from peers and managers does not mean that you will be promoted. The company has also been in a fairly constant state of turmoil so job security is pretty much non-existent. The culture and values advertised by the senior leadership sounds great, unfortunately, none if is actually put into practice... at least not from middle management down.

Great culture

I have been working at Allergan

Pros

Great interaction with doctors and staff

Cons

Big territory so not great work life balance

good pay and benefits but lack of advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Secretary in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good facilities, good pay and good benefits

Cons

lack of advancement, very political

mentor and develop you employees and then promote them so they don't leave

Great company, not so good department

Current Employee - Professional in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with pretty good benefits. Medical, Dental, Life Insurance, 401K and stock options. You start off with 3 weeks vacation a year, then you get 4 weeks once you get 5 years of employment. Stock has been doing really well over the past 10 years, so 401k has done really well. The campus is very large and includes gym, soccer/baseball field, tennis and basketball courts. There is also a nice cafeteria to use.

Salary is pretty good in my department, but dont expect large gains unless you brown nose the right people.
    There has been salary increases and bonuses almost every year I been here, even though the increases have been small.

Cons

The company is good, but my department is not. I found it very hard to move around and grow with the company (multiple failed attempts over 10 years). My experience has been that my department would rather hire from outside rather than move people up from within. Also, as of March 2014, the company has been unstable because of possible hostile takeover.

There has also been 4-5 layoff sessions throughout my 10 years with the company. Not sure if this is normal, but I consider it a negative for people looking to work at a secure company.

Lots of favoritism in my group, and kissin' butt is the only way to a successful career (well, at least until you get laid off...)

Allergan Photos