Allergan

Allergan Chairman, President & CEO David E. I. Pyott

David E. I. Pyott

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Product Support

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat managers, opportunity to participate in many projects. Hardworking co-workers. Nice environment.

ConsWork life balance difficult. Hard to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more opportunities for staff to advance more rapidly.

Not recommend to work

Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Allergan

ProsMultiple products knowledge for career growth

ConsNo cross functional team concept

Advice to Senior ManagementWork together on common goals

Solid Company to work for with excellent benefits

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe benefits~ health insurance, 401K, education reimbursement were extremely competitive
Allergan is a huge global medical device company with a great reputation and for someone right out of college, its a nice place to start out and learn about the corporate culture.

ConsThe office in Santa Barbra is disconnected from the main headquarters in Irvine and there is limited opportunity for growth. Many departments are being shut down at that office.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is typically concerned about the budget and the immediate bottom line from their superiors. Opportunities for growth and choosing different careers within the company are not easily accessible.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ask the right interview questions before joining

Director Product Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time

ProsGreat place to learn about politics and what it takes to survive at the expense of throwing people under the bus. The company is running so lean and in firefighting mode that you will only get fired if you don't meet corporate milestone that are impact executive bonuses. Everyone goes home around 4pm and the need to work over weekends is not very likely.

ConsThe site went through a fast growth period and hired lots of average labor rather than taking the time to hire great talent. This lead to not meeting many key milestones. The local middle and upper management’s number one priority is to not close the Santa Barbara site. Corporate management has been slowly sweating everything out to a basic device maintenance factory. They have innovative projects, but these are just for showcase on the pipeline books as they are left hanging around perpetually in the pre-clinical stage. They also have new projects that were actually old projects that were killed many years ago because of issues but are now back the beef up the pipeline. The only projects that are moving are incremental improvements and a project management initiative to implement a stage gate system that is designed for a billion dollar device Company. This stage gate has crippled device projects and most of the key core team leads and members have left because of the rapid down falling portfolio. Nearly all of the device R&D dollars that appear have gone up nicely are actually consumed by massive post approval commitments and clever cross charging back to the core business that is not device R&D focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management (Irvine) should finish what it started: i.e. cleaning up the device organization from the remaining VPs and certain Directors that are accountable for the many failures to deliver device products. Additionally, the stage gate implementation project management failures should also be made fully accountable as this is the why many core team and technical level key employees have either left or plotting their escape.

Terrible Experience

Clinical (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than a year

ProsReputation of company world wide

ConsPoor management, low salaries, rigid schedules, micro managing, low morale overall

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at what your middle management is doing. Do you want to support stagnant "yes" people or do you want to foster dynamic and creative thinking? The Santa Barbara site is rampant with mediocre "leaders" and old school office politics.
Take a look at the turnover rate and ask yourselves ( or better yet, ask your employees) why?

Stay away from Santa Barbara location- worst culture ever!

Mid Level Manager (Current Employee)
Goleta, CA

I have been working at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent monetary compensation for high demand positions.
If you can leverage the Santa Barbara location into a position in Irvine it might be worthwhile.
I have heard great things and met great and competent people who work out of the Irvine location. Irvine location has great perks as well.
A few solid leaders but most have hit their ceiling at the Sr. Manager/Director level. Only one or two good people at the VP level.

ConsHighly Incompetent Senior Management in Development (MT), Regulatory (BK/HL), Project Management (TC), and Quality (MZ/SG).....seriously, how did these people ever get to the role they are in? I mean, having a MD/PhD or being a VP at a startup does not automatically make you a superstar or give you the experience you need to run an organization. Too many relying on their credentials and not on actual leadership and action.
Location makes it tough to move once you are there. Few other local opportunities.
Benefits only "ok". All the perks are in the Irvine location. Nothing for the Santa Barbara location. The only employee event is a "holiday lunch" in December. Nothing else.
Promotions only available during annual reviews regardless of performance and job duties.
Tough to fill positions due to high cost of living location. Instead they hire incompetent or new grads instead.
Corporate oversight for all decisions and spending. No budget for teambuilding or travel unless you are VP and above (and even then it needs to be approved at the corporate level)
Culture of "someone else's problem" exists in all functions. No desire to step in to just get the job done.
Lots of major issues have delayed decisions to avoid the difficult discussions with Irvine leadership.
A hand full of people do 90% of the work. There ARE talented people here. They are just far and few between. Unfortunately very few of those are in leadership roles and those that are have been resigning at a rapid rate.
Facility is poor. They are lacking offices for managers and there is nowhere to eat that is within walking distance. Food trucks used to be here regularly but now they are rare.
There has been a "boys club" that has started to break up recently with a few departures. There was a layoff last year and some that should have lost there jobs but were friends with the VP of R&D were provided leadership roles in departments that they had no experience in. Call it the "PhD in Chemical Engineering from UCSB Club". Some of those people have left but others remain "protected".
Too many people where this company in this location that have never worked anywhere else. This has led to a continued startup mentality and inability to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany senior leaders are hiding the real status of projects. These few are the reason for projects not completing on time. If the company culture doesn't change and the current leadership remains, it will be a continual revolving door for key positions.

A lot of penny-pinching and waffling

Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great co-workers, decent benefits, good facilities/atmosphere. Even when cuts or changes are abundant, people maintain a good attitude. Competitive pay (depending on the position).

ConsFor a company that constantly posts healthy profits, there's a lot of penny-pinching and cheap behavior. Higher management seems mercurial and changes direction often for little reason. Advancement seems difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer, more consistent info and communication is key.

This company wasn't what it used to be like.

Product Surveillance (Former Employee)
Goleta, CA

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than a year

ProsA quiet place to work.

ConsRecent staff cut backs in some departments have lead to overworked and very irate employees. Current employee positions are almost never replaced.

Great company, great people

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Allergan full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation, good products, very effective CEO. The company really knows what it is good at and is able to capitalize on those products or systems. Growth will be rewarded, non growers will be cut (see Lap-Band and the IOL franchises). Always looking for the next big idea.

ConsSilos can exist, middle management not empowered to the level they should be, very US focused in the Device area. Working in SB and Irvine can be difficult if you have a shared role or report to the other location.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand globally faster with all product lines

If you want to grow then DON'T come

ProsNice Weather
Quiet place to work

ConsAbsolute no opportunities to grow
Upper management is not very effective
Frequent departure/layoff of top level people
Frequent department/ functionality closures
Not very talented people
Very expensive place
Hard to find new human resources

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice (no use anyways)

Worked for Allergan? Contribute to the Community!

Allergan Videos

Allergan – Why Work for Us?

From diverse strengths come important new therapies that make a real difference. Allergan is a multi-specialty health care company established more than 60 years ago with a commitment to uncover the best of science… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allergan reviews and ratings in Santa Barbara, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allergan CEO David E. I. Pyott. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Allergan employees.