Alliance Data Reviews

1. Great internship experience that gave me a lot of good growth opportunities

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great benefits for associates, much room for advancement, growing company with really promising future

Cons

can't think of much. was really satisfied during my short time with the company and only left due to end of internship.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job serving your associates. Keeping an ideal leadership culture is so important to them and you can definitely tell.

Proceed with caution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- The company growth is tremendous and the resulting bonuses were generous the past few years
    - CEO is highly personable and makes himself very visible to associates at offices across the U.S. through frequent "road show" meetings
    - Ability to buy company stock at a discount is a nice benefit. The stock has appreciated immensely, and if it continues to do so you can profit pretty well.

Cons

- Over the last seven years or so, the culture at my office evolved to a strange place where it felt like there were high school cliques being driven by senior leadership. I understand the need to dress professionally for work, however in certain roles if you weren't dressed up in the latest-greatest fashions and accessorized to the hilt you weren't considered 'Alliance Data branded' by management. This could contribute to your career going nowhere.
    - The work life balance was very poor over the majority of my nearly 15 year career. With company growth came the constant need to deliver work for new clients in very difficult time frames. Also, some large existing clients have demanding work cultures that in turn can drive a very demanding work culture at Allliance Data. If you happen to you service these particular client accounts, be prepared to work long hours. It's reasonable to expect that at times work will be busy and extra hours are needed, however, in my experience it was an almost constant expectation.
    - Mass company layoffs were handled with little sensitivity. My co-workers received no individual advance notification that their jobs were being eliminated in a re-organization. Impacted associates learned they were being laid off on day of termination. It was very disconcerting to watch co-workers toiling away at their desks one moment and then literally escorted out of the building the next because they had just learned their jobs were eliminated. I understand that jobs sometimes need to be eliminated in the corporate world, but there are much better ways to execute layoffs. This event said a lot to me about the leadership culture.

3. Very Nice....Nice people....

Former Employee - Collections in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Collections in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data

Pros

Very good benefits and they start on day 1.....flexible schedule...

Cons

Too many weekends for those with kids.....

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to have 2 consecutive days off more often..

5. Moving up

Current Employee - Operations Lead in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Lead in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exceptional pay and benefits for entry level call center positions.
    Best work culture I've ever been a part of- genuinely feel valued and recognized by the company.
    Company is expanding rapidly and internal opportunities reflect this. I've had one in-line title promotion, stretch promotion "internship", and been promoted to a new position all within a year of my hire date.
    Lots of "extra-curricular" opportunities for involvement to those who seek it.
    Company genuinely cares about its associates and communities.

Cons

Fair share of growing pains. Computer infrastructure not advancing as quickly as company itself.
    Financial institution, so strategy changes are frequent and without warning.
    Lots of growth and promotion can result in new training new.
    While pay is competitive, the matrix to determine wage can result in two associates in the same role making different salaries based on the position they promoted in from.

Advice to Management

Gripes and moans about schedules and opportunity consistently come from young, unengaged associates. With so much company growth, there's also a large turnover rate on floor associates. Have recruiters raise the standard for new hires.
    While opportunity is outstanding, revise the pay matrix to factor for value to the company to prevent wage disparities.

6. Client Sales Intern

Former Intern - Client Sales in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Client Sales in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to what a full time Client Sales Coordinator does
    Team made sure to train me well, and provided me with meaningful work
    Networking; made great connections throughout my internship.
    Stress work/life balance

Cons

A lot of role conflict and role overload, depending on the priority level of your team, you may not have access to some resources or even get help from other areas of the company.

Everyone was either new or had been there for a long time. There weren't many people that had been there for a couple years, which is kind of intimidating as an intern since it shows that not many employees are being retained.

Straight shot career growth (atleast in Client Sales), you follow a specific path to move up and you either do it or don't.

Advice to Management

Training is key, I heard a lot about fellow employees not doing well because they weren't trained properly.

7. Great place to work and grow.

Current Employee - Collections in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Collections in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty well as long as you perform well. Great atmosphere and the people you work with are all very friendly.

Cons

Feel like you're just another pawn in the corporate system.

Good place to start if you are entering the workforce

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Alliance Data is a welcoming company. The facility has a community culture that is very encouraging through peer mentoring, coaching, and frequent training. They do try their very best to take care of their employees and constantly encourage them to grow with the company. This is done by having access to their training portal 100's of training courses, as well as, a large selection of electronic books on skill development.

Let's not forget to mention that the benefits offered there is stellar. You get health benefits which the price can be cut in half if you participate in their health program. You get numerous discounts from Apple and other companies. I can make a list that goes on and on.

Cons

Despite its perks, Alliance does have its issues, especially at the call center level.

Their current way of evaluating an associate's performance on the phone relies too heavily on the customer's bias. For instances, a customer gets a survey and is asked about their OVERALL experience, if they leave a negative score the ASSOCIATE catches the flak even if the experience was based on the business policy not the actual associate themselves. The worst part is, you cannot dispute the survey.

Another aggravating issue is the growing pains. Alliance Data has grown exponentially the past several years and they continue grow. The problem is, they are not handling the growth properly. A lot of systems get rushed updates that become buggy when we on-board new clients. When systems get buggy, we get angry customers contacting our call centers asking what the heck is going on and our associates cannot give a definitive answer because upper-management is attempting to put out too many fires then they should.

Work-life balance isn't great either when you are working hourly. You have to work every other Saturday and one sunday a month which is placed on a weekend that you have to work a Saturday on. You will always start out on 2nd shift (1-10pm or 2-11pm) and you have to work a good while before they'll even consider you for a schedule change.

9. Good company with unusual culture at times and okay management locally

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation is excellent, stress levels average to low, casual dress code, friendly staff, generous benefits and approachable leadership.

Cons

The focus is solely on sales and it seems management is blind to other growing pains that exist, unusual culture around being in a family versus a company that causes non-performers to not be dealt with. Immediate management is not engaged and doesn't seem to care about you as a person and seems afraid to address employee concerns. Culture loves to talk and form committees to tackle problems. Leaves some employees to wonder what middle management does. Spending of company money at times contradicts messaging. Middle management communication is lacking and at times it's confusing why certain things are done because no one is talking about it because it's a tough conversation. Outsiders aren't asked for perspective, but fit in the mold.

Advice to Management

While sales are important to growth, other areas are being ignored. As the company gets larger, multiple external and internal issues will continue to emerge that need to be addressed. Actions must be consistent with messaging. If the environment is expense challenged, make sure your spending is aligned because it confuses employees as to what is going on.

10. Solid, but not exceptional

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-They care so much about their employees
    -Generally good work life balance

Cons

- Big hierarchy to go through if you want to make change
    - They do a great job with customers data, but need a lot of work with data about themselves as a company

Advice to Management

Focus more on data about the company, and take on less clients by focusing more on quality than quantity.

11. Great job to start at

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Have allot of positions to consider yourself working in the company. A lot of training. Overall good to start at

Cons

The pay is okay when you compare it to all that you are required to do. No real managers. just people who got promoted over time.

Advice to Management

Training classes for your managers