Alliance Data

Alliance Data Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Alliance Data President & CEO Ed Heffernan

Ed Heffernan

Pros
  • The company offers great pay and benefits, and overall I feel the work life balance was okay (in 14 reviews)

• The work environment is pleasant and the company invests in educating associates on corporate values and strategy (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable work load, poor work/life balance, heavy favoritism by all of management (in 5 reviews)

• Difficult to move up in the company from the call center even with a college degree (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the company, not the job.

Collector (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Pros- great company
    - room for growth
    - great starting pay ($12 an hour)
    - incentive is wonderful (extra money on your end of the month paycheck)
    - they help you make a game plan of where you want to be in the company and what it takes to get there.
    - when I when on leave from work suddenly they were so understand and willing to help so I wouldn't be fired.

Cons- split shifts ( 8 am to 1) then (5 pm to 10)
    - very fast past
    - you are a credit card collector so everyone on the phone isn't the sweetest
    - If you don't rank you will eventually get fired, but there is help for those struggling
    - I personally hated being a collector, but for some it can be a great thing.
    - sometimes between the younger employees it was like high school drama. Most of them were fresh out of high school.

Advice to Senior ManagementI worked at the east broad location in columbus ohio, my manger was wonderful sweet, kind and understanding. I guess I got lucky some mangers weren't.

Great place to work!

Collector (Former Employee) Whitehall, OH

ProsLots of money to be made in collections

ConsOver time is expected there

Working at Alliance Data

Senior Credit Risk Analyst (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood overall work-life balance, easy visibility to senior management, ability to shift departments, benefits of being in a growing company, with a great health benefits plan and 401k matching plan

ConsWorking here can sometimes become very slow, stagnant and frustrating. Not a very diverse company to work for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It could be better

ProsThe pay and benefits are great!

ConsCons: Where to begin… If you are a new leader in this company be prepared to not only be scrutinized but be prepared to defend your every move. I have seen a lot of good leaders come and go throughout my two years here. Usually the reason they leave has something to do with the “Culture” that they try to keep in place but it is to their own detriment. There are A LOT of new leaders in this organization and you ARE NOT welcomed by the ones that have been around for 15+ years. You are seen as a threat to them and you will not be welcomed into the group. It is sad really, there are a lot of great leaders here that need to be unleashed. Also, the Senior leadership is so far disconnected from the rest of the company that it is almost sad. The Executive Committee has ZERO clue about what people think about things because those just below them are afraid to share for fear of being seen as “the deliverer of bad news”. This is an extremely PC company. You must watch your every word at all times and you can trust nobody! Even those that you think you can trust you can not. Especially if they are from the “Old Guard”.
    As a new leader you will have surveys sent out to everyone about your leadership style on a pretty consistent basis which would be fine if the data collected was used with positive intentions, however time and again you see it used as a weapon to make you feel bad and feel like you can never do anything right. You will also have leader assimilations done on you that are really a big giant “lets complain about our boss” session and no real good comes out of it. As a leader you are not truly free to lead. You are free to lead under the scrutiny of your senior leadership. It is nearly impossible to fire an exempt employee in this company as well. I do not mean your leadership, managers come and go because those in power are threatened. However if you have an underperforming employee you are literally forced to work with that person, develop them, work with them and help them to get better and it can be a very, very long process. All the while your results are suffering and you can do NOTHING to get rid of them. I guess that is good and bad but it is frustrating.
    Money is also a huge issue. Budgets are planned out for one plan and then plans change with no increase in funding. Another frustration!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your new leaders a chance to perform. Reign in your old managers and force them to collaborate or leave. I realize that the surveys and assimilations were started with good intent but they have been used and continue to be used as a weapon. Good leaders do not fear the new talent they embrace it and this is not what is happening. Also, Yes Ed Heffernan is great but the Executive Committee and Seinor Leaders have made this guy almost godlike. He is a normal down to earth guy who they worship as some sort of cult figure. I guarantee you can have a normal talk with this guy so take your noses out of his behind and make things happen. He seems reasonable and I am quite sure if you talk to him and not kiss his butt you might get a lot further. It has just become strange!

Great company for hard workers

Database Developer (Former Employee)

Pros1.Great company for hard workers
    2. Benefits are good.

Cons1. Mid level manager needs to understand line of business
    2. Work life balance doesnt exist.

Payment sloutions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

Prospay what you are worth.

Consbad supervisors, fire you if you miss work because of funeral

Advice to Senior Managementyes if you kiss butts

The experience was a great learning experience.

LDP (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe company is really laid back, is all about their employees and also has a great focus on customer satisfaction.

ConsThey are not open to outside suggestions from new employees. I was in their leadership program and 2 weeks from completing the program. I was let go because I was not a match for their culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should be more welcoming to the outside candidates in their LDP as these are the future leaders of the company. They are the ones that are managing your front lines. Work closer with the candidates of the program to ensure they are getting what the program is about. Their is so much flexibility that as a former candidate I was not sure whether I was or not meeting the expectations.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Supervisor (Current Employee) Westerville, OH

ProsThe company is growing and there are many types of job openings available. There is always room to move either laterally or upwardly. The company offers great pay and benefits, and overall I feel the work life balance was okay.

ConsManagement is TERRIBLE! I have never experienced so many back stabbing individualS, EVER! Management treats people below them like they are much better than them. They make you feel bad when you make a mistake, and they make a HUGE deal of it. You feel as if your best is NEVER good enough. HR is not good about keeping complaints confidential. They don't necessarily mention your name, but they will give so many clues and hints as to who made the complaint, that anyone can figure it out. You don't feel safe to address your concerns because there could be backlash. I would never work for this company again!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't act like you are better than everyone else, just because of your title. Refrain from gossiping about your employees behind their back, and show some RESPECT!

Collections

ProsManagement was nice but they were there prior to the buyout.

ConsCompany bought over my former employer and took away our shift differential.

Thinks of you as a number and company makes sure you're never off phones.

Customer Care (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits, company is on the rise, great incentives, you can grow ONLY if you have great attendance and everybody in upper management already knows you.

ConsSupervisors are never on the phones, they don't have a great work/life balance and overall a lot of people just passing the buck, PTO is given per six months and if you're sick, that takes away from the time off for vacation which really should be changed, always changing policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the phones especially if it's busy! I think if you're going to be a supervisor then I shouldn't know more than you about policies and procedures.

Worked for Alliance Data? Contribute to the Community!