Alliance Data

Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

Alliance Data President & CEO Ed Heffernan
Ed Heffernan

Pros
  • Upper management really promoted community and work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits, including very nice on site fitness center (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable work load, poor work/life balance, heavy favoritism by all of management (in 7 reviews)

• Difficult to move up in the company from the call center even with a college degree (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Misleading Company

Former Employee - Collections in Hayden, ID
    Former Employee - Collections in Hayden, ID

I worked at Alliance Data

Pros

Good money , vacation and medical benefits.

Cons

The management is false in stating the culture is different. If they need to make an example of someone they do so without following the same rules and practices for all employees. They say if you are on a written warning you get nothing bonus yet some still do. There is no accountability for the company when it comes to lack of training when firing someone for something the individual honestly thought they were doing right. Supervisors do not provide the support to their employees for on going training and support as they are supposed to. At this center one is just a number the company lies to make you think otherwise.

Learn to do your jobs better and be more accountable for your own actions rather then allowing your employees to be fired for your lack of Supervision ability.

Great job to start at

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Have allot of positions to consider yourself working in the company. A lot of training. Overall good to start at

Cons

The pay is okay when you compare it to all that you are required to do. No real managers. just people who got promoted over time.

Training classes for your managers

Was a great company, greed and apathy are now the new logo

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, plentiful vacation days. Good training for what the job is. Pay is ok for the job. .

Cons

The new structure for incentive consists of a VOICE score which is basicly the customers opinion of your performance....that's fine but the part that SHOULD matter (how they feel about the employee) does not matter as much as how the customer feels about the company. That being said it is not in my control as to how often a late fee on a bill can be waived nor how much we charge to take a payment over the phone as well as our inability to keep our website up to accept payment(or IT grooup is ran by Micky Mouse and Goofy). I do what I can to explain the why's and how's but as far as setting the policies I am treated by both the customer and the company as a piece of dirt to be talked down to and threatened (by my supervisor it is corrective action and the customer is bogus threats that mean nothing). This new structure was the perfect way to NOT pay incentive and if an incentive is earned to offer only pennies. I feel the previous structure was a far better comparison of how things should be done. Did I do what the policies allow and if not did I explain hows and whys we do things and offer a solution to prevent future issues? Did I come to work on time and follow my adherence? If I did those things then pay me because I followed your instructions and did what I was told when I was told to. The customer opinion of the company shows we are going in the wrong direction and don't balme your associates for the policies you impliment. In the end don't work here, try McDonalds or Burger King and have some dignity.

If you want our performance to be based off of opinion as well as our ability to be promoted then maybe the negative reviews on glassdoor should be your walking papers. The facts and hard stats of our job should be what matters, stop pretending like you CARE about the customers when you put in place policies that are in direct conflict of the companies core values and are clearly based off of greed...and ED seriously? you say we are this big company but we have daily work-arounds for IT issues wtf? I don't remember the last time I was at work and I didn't get an e-mail as to what was currently not working, Ask any customer as to the reliability of our "account center". Shame on you ED as well as the management team. You took a great company and made it a horrible place to work.

A little better than your typical call center.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rio Rancho, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were great, all of the employees truly supported each other.

Cons

The policies changed multiple times during my employment. It made it increasingly hard to bonus.

Offer perhaps a paternity leave. Even if it isn't paid. Dads need time with babies too.

Potential vs. Leadership

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Giving back to communities. Provides amazing array of goods and services to the clients they support

Cons

Retail Services leadership lacks the ability to self-govern and puts teams and productivity in jeopardy with financial cut-backs.

Credit Risk Analyst

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and training are good

Cons

There are a lot of pressure to perform your job

This company cares

Current Employee - Senior Coordinator, Sales Support in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Coordinator, Sales Support in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good enviroment. Encourages promoting from within.

Cons

The growth is so fast that sometimes, I'm not sure the decisions are being thought through.

Think through the the effects of your decisions on your employees.

Terrible

Former Employee - Customer Care in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No leadership. No clear direction. Terrible crisis management.

Cons

Staff is terrible. Like being in a clique

Get some actual management please

There is exciting growth going on at Alliance Data and do try to promote from within.

Current Employee - Recovery Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Recovery Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most jobs give you the resources to perform your job to the best of your abilities and demonstrate willingness to promote a positive work-life balance.

Cons

While avenues exist to be promoted from within, the process could stand to be streamlined. The system is convoluted and relies more on recruiters than the managers looking for the people the want to work with going forward.

Very well run organization, but would like the opportunity to cross-train and get to know the areas where I would like to work in the future.

Customer service rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, good bonus structure, lots of pto, management can be very helpful, can tell company really cares abt their employees

Cons

Crazy work schedules, have to work almost every Saturday and even work some sundays, lots of changes, everyone not on same page

Training could be a lot better