Alliance Data

Updated November 18, 2014
3.5

Alliance Data President & CEO Ed Heffernan
Ed Heffernan

Pros
  • Upper management really promoted community and work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits, including very nice on site fitness center (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Unreasonable work load, poor work/life balance, heavy favoritism by all of management (in 7 reviews)

• Difficult to move up in the company from the call center even with a college degree (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Internship Experience

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Caring
    -Solid pay for an Intern

Cons

-Cubicle Forest
    -Work does not feel like it matters to the overall company progress.
    -Client sales does not appreciate work of other departments.

Increase starting salaries for undergraduates.

Watch Your Back

Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The money is good if you come into an exempt position and the benefits are great.

Cons

It is nearly impossible to really be yourself at Alliance Data. They do a lot of lip service about culture and family but what it really means is "either be like us or you will not work out here". The Senior Leadership is very guarded and it is extremely difficult integrate with the leadership teams. They really put themselves on pedestals and completely separate themselves from those that they lead. Recently they have began to place poster sized photos of themselves with nifty quotes that speak to what great leaders they are. It is kind of overkill and is a little strange. Make no mistake you know who the leaders are. But the problem is that none if the leaders actually know their employees. Like I said, the leadership is completely disconnected from the employees. There is no consistency in leadership.

Take down the creepy posters of yourselves. Yes you are wonderful. Yes you are in charge. We all understand.

Credit Risk Analyst

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and training are good

Cons

There are a lot of pressure to perform your job

Warning: Bipolar culture

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good benefits
    Can participate in approved volunteer work activities during work day (Habitat for Humanity, food bank)
    Some employees are very nice and passionate about their work. If you're lucky enough to work with them, this is a huge advantage.
    The day before a holiday, managers often let you go a little early. This is really nice to help you get an early start if you're going out of town

Cons

They have some employees who have incredible skills that are not utilized (management is insecure and scared of them being successful and making them look bad), are berated by their managers and asked to do low-level work in the hopes of getting them to quit. However, management refuses to let the problem employees go. The company recently laid off employees, resulting in those left behind now working 2 jobs, yet they have an unrealistic expectation that these employees will be able to continue this long-term without help. They put a lot of focus on charity events and extracurricular activities and expect you to participate, but most don't have the time due to the layoffs but do so anyway for the sake of office politics and not make their managers or work groups look bad. Many seem nice but they're really passive aggressive and will go over your head to complain, so you have no opportunity to directly address issues and resolve problems.

Get rid of the problem employees so you don't lose valuable employees. The innocent bystanders don't need to continue to suffer for the sins of their bad managers!
    You can't fix a lack of morale (from layoffs especially and the bipolar culture) by having more fun activities and expect everyone to participate with a smile on their faces. It really upsets your employees when you do this.
    Reasonable performance metrics and staffing, especially for those areas impacted by layoffs.
    Management overhaul and improvement, including training on managerial courage and problem resolution.
    Squish the passive aggressive culture please!

Paid the bills

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture was great. Upper management really promoted community and work/life balance. When I had started, people had been there for the shortest, 8 years. I replaced someone who had retired. People and management were great and benefits were outstanding. I really enjoyed all of the health related events we were able to do together as a team as well as the way we celebrated holidays and special events.I left only due to personal reasons but I would've stayed if I could.

Cons

Pay was on low scale of industry but got better as time went on, slowly. Day to day work is the same. pretty much, get on the good side of management and you'll grow.

Work on compesation and holiday schedule.

Awesome people, great company

I worked at Alliance Data

Pros

Full and part time, competitive pay. Very organized disciplined and well trained supervisors ! Reasonable attire restrictions and security enforced.

Cons

Nothing bad I loved working for this company !

A holding company with separate cultures.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Alliance Data full-time

Pros

Lots of the benefits of a big company while still having that small-company feel. The fact that we fly under the radar can be a plus. Fairly good benefits. The compensation philosophy has been described to us as "50% mark in salary, 75% mark in bonus." As long as the stock price has been rising it has been good.

Cons

Not many growth opportunities or chances to move into different divisions. You don't get help managing your career, so you have to rely on your own self-promotion to move up. They may be hitting a wall from stock price growth, which will mean cuts.

Great Culture

Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Credit Risk Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, benefits keep improving, the risk department is very friendly, there is a lot of department outings that improve teamwork and boost productivity.

Cons

No cons worth mentioning. Credit risk is a great department.

Keep improving by listening to your talented employees!

Awesome Company

I have been working at Alliance Data (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent organization that is growing rapidly. True team oriented environment with a focus on challenging each member at all levels to be engaged. Pays well and rewards performance.

Cons

The commitment level necessary to keep up means this company is not for everyone.

Keep up the great work and do not become complacent...success can create this.

Generally, a negative employment experience.

I worked at Alliance Data full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The investment in company infrastructure (databases, PC's, phone systems, etc...) is excellent. Low level, team, management generally relates to their assigned teams well, which is really the reason ADS is able to meet the contract commitments they have sold.

Cons

Company culture is closed. The goal here is to keep departments in the dark on their related contributions to organizational goals. Leadership has a silent, "don't ask...don't tell," policy. Those asking too many questions will be told this, in no uncertain terms. Senior leadership, in partnership with HR, can be abusive. There is absolutely no room for growth.

I'm certain Senior Leadership of other, well known, Corporations does not have to spend millions of $, in marketing campaigns, to advertise to their own employees that they are being lead well. Good employers do not have to market that they are good employers. Consider toning down the internal adverts and opening up the company culture.