Alliance One

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark W. Kehaya

It ain't what it used to be

Farmville, NC

ProsIt's a fairly casual work environment, jeans-Friday, quarterly luncheons, good benefits, very flexible with time off for doctor or other appointments. We have the latest in computer technology and equipment, good systems, and everyone works well together.

ConsThe same people always seem to get the promotions. There is no succession planning. Some of the bosses are real jerks. There is very little opportunity for training in something new as they say it has to relate to your current position. They do support tuition reimbursement though. Bonuses that once paid in the 24% range now pay in the 5% range, if you are lucky and they never update you on where you stand versus target-stretch so they don't have to pay when the time comes. There have been several restructurings in the last few years as they do away with almost entire departments (SOX, Internal Audit). With FY14's $87MM loss attributable to farmer bad debt/loans (many wonder if these are real and if some people aren't just lining their pockets) many senior folks are being shown the door under the guise of retirement. It's not the same company I went to work for many years ago. The company is starting to look into new ventures (E-liquids) but I'm afraid it's a little too late to diversify.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for management that's been there longer than 15 years to move on.

A lot of ups and Downs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people I worked with are very nice and helpful. I loved the job I did.

ConsSome of the people I worked for really need to retire. No clue as to what it takes to get the job done. I understand you need to keep your customers satisfied, but you really need to back your employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some management that seems to do anything to make their own employees jobs more difficult and really need to look out for your own employees needs on the job.

Great way to learn about the tobacco industry

ProsYou are able to gain insightful information about the tobacco industry and how to grow.

ConsMany of the lower level positions are seasonal, and layoffs are unpredictable.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore young, innovative employees should be considered for managerial positions.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very hard physical labor and it is only seasonal.

Forklift Operator (Current Employee)
    Wilson, NC

Prospaid weekly and most weekends off.

Consseason only lasts 6 months.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees.

Collector at Alliance One

Collector (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsNo experience, earning potential, and benefits

ConsStress, Redundancy, and lack of career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Higher base salary.

This is a Terrible place to work!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Maumee, OH

ProsAbove minimum wage pay is ok

Cons-Managment has no respect for employees and doesn't give any benifits for working there for a long time. no raises, bonuses, ect.
    -Morall is very low

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees and give them a reason to be there. Don't treat them as disposable assets.

place sucks!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Anderson, IN

Prospay is above minimum wage

ConsThey treat there employees like slaves!!! they dont care if your sick and they will fire you if you are sick!!

I'm a new employee, decent so far, good training program.

Collections Agent (Current Employee)
    Eagan, MN

Prospotential for good money if you don't mind plowing through phone calls you have to dial and shaking down people to pay their debts.

ConsHounding deadbeats to pay their debts making high volume calls and contacts each day and noise from others in their cubes.

Advice to Senior ManagementI haven't been there long enough to make a fair assessment on what advice I could give to management so far.

Was a good place to work, not sure it is now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Morrisville, NC

ProsInternational organization with a committed group of employees.
    International travel available depending on position, traveling to interesting places in Europe, Asia and Africa.

ConsTime of turmoil. Leadership changed in last 6 months, resulting in the poor ratings for leadership and management of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage employees more. Invest time to communicate with employees and bring them into the plan.
    Treat local leaders as decision makers with at least a voice in the decision making process.
    Recognize the value of support functions like IT and HR in the modern business era.
    Too much 'Fire, Aim, Ready' rather than 'Ready, Aim, Fire'.

very experienced

ProsAlliance One is a respected company in tobacco industry and has long history in China. It's a good company to work with.

ConsA conservative company, dealing with monopoly in China. And the future of this industry is not so good as other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing in China and its management team, they have created good value for the company, we hope the company grows well.

Worked for Alliance One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alliance One reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alliance One CEO Mark W. Kehaya. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Alliance One employees.