Alliance Residential Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
3.5
Bruce C. Ward

Pros
  • The company is innovative and most of my co-workers were great people (in 5 reviews)

• Great people you work with, great benefits, large market for transferring (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • work load can be a little much at times (in 2 reviews)

• Insufficient attention paid to people, especially new hires (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Best experience I've ever had in property management

Current Employee - Regional Performance Director
    Current Employee - Regional Performance Director

I have been working at Alliance Residential full-time

Pros

I love working for a company that is constantly growing. The Alliance assets we manage and own are amazing. We are constantly growing and promoting internally. You determine your own destiny at Alliance.

Cons

We are constantly growing so our operating systems are constantly being upgraded to accommodate our needs and work efficiency. You have to maintain a big picture perspective to thrive in this environment.

2. It is Better than Most!

Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Business Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Alliance Residential

Pros

- A strong sense of community in my region. I always know help and support is one phone call or email away from my colleagues.
    - The pay is better than most other property management companies.
    - The benefits are good as well.
    - There is a lot of opportunity for growth in the company and Alliance really values internal candidates.

Cons

- The training could be better and a little more personalized rather than a blanket style training.
    - Sometimes it feels like there are too many steps to get any one thing completed on the corporate/HR side of things.

3. Great company

Current Employee - Property Accountant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Property Accountant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Alliance Residential

Pros

Flexible hours, not micromanaged. Very happy

Cons

None that i can think of

Advice to Management

None to offer. Keep it up

5. Slow to Move Up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Alliance Residential (more than a year)

Pros

Not particularly difficult work, pay is about average, properties are not oversized. If you are good at your job, you will have job security.

Cons

Alliance is cheap. The moment you are able to earn bonuses, they will change the guidelines. Every site is at least 1 person understaffed purposely so we can undercut other management companies. Alliance is in no rush to promote. Even if you are ready to move up, and they agree with yoi, they will string you along because there is "a lot coming up." In reality the projects coming up are years off, and they're terrified you will realize your worth and quit.

Advice to Management

Take care of your own staff before you reach outside the company. 1 service tech in a 350 property is cheap.

6. I <3 Alliance!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alliance Residential full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Alliance has offered me a great amount of flexibility with both my schedule and my career. I am able to work with the freedom of knowing that I can be as creative and innovative as I need to meet my goals. There is a lot of training and support from corporate. As well, the work community is wonderful everyone is so friendly and nice.

Cons

So far I have not run into any issues, its a face pace environment, but I really enjoy the speed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job! Everyone is so happy and dedicated to their professions, its been an absolute pleasure working at Alliance Residential.

Alliance is OK for a job, but not a career in property management.

I worked at Alliance Residential

Pros

I worked in the Los Angeles market where Alliance is considered a medium-large property management company. Alliance has several residential properties throughout LA, so there were onsite opportunities available at a variety of locations.

Alliance offers a fairly comprehensive benefits package including several health insurance options, dental and vision coverage, life insurance, 401k, and perks such as travel discounts and a clothing allowance.

Cons

Alliance utilizes antiquated technology and business processes. For example, the onsite records storage system consists of using 3-ring notebooks to file printed copies of emails regarding corporate communications, policy changes, employee updates, resident communications, etc. There is literally a notebook for everything! Additionally, Alliance uses outdated versions of software that offer limited functionality for critical property functions (CRM, accounting, debit/credit card payment processing, and applicant credit checks).

Alliance is not cutting edge. They are never the first to provide new resident services, update employee systems, incorporate innovative marketing ideas, utilize new training technologies, etc. If you have worked for an industry leader such as AIMCO or Equity you will find that you struggle with that. Alliance's slowed business pace combined with convoluted processes leads to decreased productivity and that was often frustrating.

Alliance also invests less in both its employees and residents. The pay rate and bonus structure at Alliance is considerably lower than the other companies that I have worked for. Alliance also seems to be more resistant to invest money in updates and services that would raise resident satisfaction scores or resident retention metrics.

Feb 27, 2015Talent Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to detail out a few of our benefits that meant the most to you. I am sorry to hear that you did not ... More

8. Sales associate

I have been working at Alliance Residential

Pros

Growing company with tons of opportunity for growth.

Cons

Must be willing to work weekends

Learned a lot but it wasn't enough

Current Employee - Accounting in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Accounting in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Alliance Residential full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work is easy, stress is mild to moderate, no late hours or weekends.

Cons

Horrible pay, horrible benefits, there seems to be a lot of favoritism, lack of communication, lots of "passing the buck", some people have been in the same position for over 9 years and have yet to move up.

Feb 27, 2015Talent Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear there have been positive aspects during your time with us and hope we get the chance to meet with you in person to discuss ... More

10. Leasing Associate

I worked at Alliance Residential

Pros

great company events and company management, laid back, cares about employees

Cons

less room to move up,

Advice to Management

check in with what employees suggest at times

Subpar management company

Former Employee - Business Manager
    Former Employee - Business Manager

I worked at Alliance Residential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The peer level colleagues I had within the region were great to work with.
    -Good training opportunities that were well intentioned.
    -Most on-site employees were provided high quality uniforms.
    -Occasional philanthropic opportunities.

Cons

-The compensation is poor and inconsistent. The quality of pay was more based on the generosity of your regional manager rather than the quality of work and attitude. Additionally those manager's bonuses are tied into keeping property expenses in line. So it actually benefits them to give low increases which is a enormous conflict of interest.
    -The bonus structure often times was unachievable. To win the business of new owners, the property budgets were low balled. It made it impossible to reach property goals, and thus to achieve a bonus. An example would be promising all light changes to residents but only allocating $20 per month for light bulbs per 100 units. Or promising residents 24 hour maintenance services and gold star service, but under staffing the maintenance department.
    -So Cal upper management culture was very mean and catty. They were completely out of touch with the challenges of working on site. It was always made very clear that their bonuses were priority.
    -A lot of programs were well intentioned but poorly managed.

Advice to Management

I think regional managers, vps and corporate staff should occasionally have to work on site to understand the challenges of the job. A little empathy and kindness goes a long way. Also, budgets should be reviewed by an unbiased or financially rewarded employee to ensure they are realistic and fair.

Jan 29, 2015Talent Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Although you did not have the experience we would have hoped you would have had, we are glad to hear there were some positive aspects during your ... More

Alliance Residential Photos