Alliance Transportation Group

Reset
3.9
Gayle L. Heath
1 Rating

1. It has been an amazing opportunity for growth and career advancement.

I have been working at Alliance Transportation Group full-time

Pros

You can get a much better overall understanding of the industry at a smaller firm.

Cons

If you don't like hard work, and taking initiative without being spoon fed this might not be the right firm for you.

2. HR sells their company as a great place to work but has too many hiccups once you're inside

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's no probationary period to receive health benefits. Their PTO policy is fair. They have a small gym/showers located on site, or they will reimburse you if you want to get a gym membership. They're constantly feeding you with company-sponsored lunches/fully stocked kitchen. During my short tenure there, they hosted a company picnic and invited all significant others/families to join, which was nice. Also, if you're just starting your career, they invite you to join a young professionals networking group, which is basically every Alliance employee under 30. The group meets once a month to practice presentation skills, but they also host happy hours, etc. It's a good opportunity to get to know your coworkers in other departments. The CEO is a woman, which is encouraging for an industry that is dominated by men.

Cons

They're not the best at communicating company expectations. I had a hard time understanding the hours I was expected to work, even though I kept blatantly asking. There was also a lot of turnover, which made everything hyper disorganized. I was never officially trained how to do my job. The dress code was pretty strict but the expectations were not the same across departments. I never really was given the chance to do the job they hired me to do.

Advice to Management

Alliance really needs to set out and then implement a training curriculum for new staff members. Also, the company should foster more open communication between departments.

A good place to start after college but a niche company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Alliance Transportation Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to work on a variety of projects Good health benefits and vacation Flexible schedules Friendly people You can talk to anyone in the company no matter the hierarchy

Cons

The company is going through a lot of growing pains and that has limited the actual growth Departments are siloed and do not work together as often Relatively high turnover in the past few years Salaries are lower but benefits are higher for a small firm Understaffed in certain departments and overstaffed in others

Advice to Management

Provide guidance and compensation for employees in order to allow them to grow within the company Allow employees to understand how the company does business before dropping them in the deep end More mid-level managers to manage lower level employees and free up more time for upper management to do their jobs Promote more integration of departments on projects and sharing of knowledge (planning/engineering/modeling)

5. Alliance is a specialty organization with unlimited growth potential.Truly, you can make the job what you want it to be.

Pros

Exceptional people Best collection of technical people that I have had the opportunity to work with Out-of-the-box execution of projects Large number of diverse projects allows you to expand individual capabilities quickly Familial and collegiate work environment Pro-employee benefits are unmatched (Employer pays 100% for employee, spouse and family)

Cons

Corporate communications are improving, but due to growth managers are involved in the day-to-day projects.

Advice to Management

Focus on setting up systems, training and standard operating procedures. Right size the company. Hire the right people for the right job, growth from within is not always possible. Spend time on HR (recruiting and hiring)

RSS Feed </> Embed