Alliant Energy Reviews

1. Excellent company

Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time

Pros

It's a great environment to work in. The people are very talented and understanding all looking for a career to grow.

Cons

I'd just have to say organization. Could be a bit more organized also you have to speak up and not be an introvert on this career

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. It is essential to the employees of their voices being heard and respected.

2. Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very stable company, every consumer needs electricity

Cons

Pay for females is far less than men with equal jobs. Management philosophy is the good old boys club, even though current CEO is female, balance of senior management is holding the glass ceiling firm.

Advice to Management

Review senior leadership and weed out bad leaders who do not promote females

3. Good boy company

I have been working at Alliant Energy

Pros

Ok company pay and benefits

Cons

Good boy company some employees get continuous overtime and not follow contract rules while coming and going whenever endless vacation.Alliant is all about safety which is good I'm glad the company involved in everybody's safety except for when your own manager tells you safety days what a waste of time and you show him some safety concerns that you have and he just walks away and ultimately says well it's your responsibility.

Advice to Management

Wake up treat everyone equally

Administrative

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Management made decisions based on emotions.

I couldn't continue to work at Alliant Energy due to leadership team and witness the decisions at the top being made.

Former Employee - Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There was a great overall benefit package at Alliant Energy. I did not leave because of the benefits, my reason unfortunately was due to the leadership team. There's people who are passionate about the utility business, however many have left since the ITC Transmission acquisition and now more going due to Alliant Energy selling the system in Minnesota. Great place to to work if you were in the good girl group. Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Unqualified and incapable managers and executives that are leading a utility that have no business in being in their roles. The employee moral was terrible when I left. I was a survivor of all the re-organizations and couldn't take a chance of being cut in the next round so sought other opportunities . Human Resoures seemed like a cult rather than a resource for employees. Selling the transmission, the backbone of the company to ITC. Now selling the system in Minnesota, what next..,the entire company?

Advice to Management

Stop promoting women who are power hungry and have no business being in their roles due to their lack of utility experience and have no leadership skills. The women "leaders" are a joke and fight to do whatever it takes to get to the top.

Start putting some money into the utility instead cutting capital and operating budgets. Value and start appreciating your employees who are in the trenches of this company. Start focusing on customers and having a strong utility instead of skimming by and patching it up.

7. Solid company

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst

I have been working at Alliant Energy

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities to move around if desired.

Cons

A bit "corporate" at times

8. Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Alliant Energy

Pros

Alliant has many employee interest groups to be involved in.

Cons

Alliant only follows their core values when they are being watched.

Field Engineer I

Former Employee - Field Engineering Specialist
    Former Employee - Field Engineering Specialist

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent work, training, safety-oriented company, great compensation and benefits

Cons

Management lacks experience, supervisors in some roles are micro-managers

10. The Olympics of Office Politics

I have been working at Alliant Energy

Pros

Benefits package is good.

Cons

Imagine an office environment for a monopoly business with no serious internal or external auditing. If have experience in the corporate world you might guess this would result in all-out political circus and that's exactly what Alliant Energy is. I've worked at many different companies, and politics are everywhere, but I've never seen anything like this. Honda has the reputation as a data-driven company led by engineers, Alliant Energy is like the "anti-Honda" where everything is driven by office politics. I've never worked anywhere where the quality of my work meant so little. With layers of management and nothing to do, they occupy themselves with endless and pointless reorganizations, rewarding their friends and punishing their perceived enemies. Note this doesn't apply the unionized field jobs which have their own work rules and organization. The Madison home office, which really runs the company, also seems to be better managed. If you enjoy office politics more than actually working, you might enjoy life here, but most people will just end up thoroughly disgusted.

Advice to Management

Think about hiring some better management for Cedar Rapids.

11. Great place to work till it isn't

Former Employee - Director in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, benefits and opportunities to advance

Cons

When they decide to cut, they are merciless. Keep unqualified people who are connected...related to someone in city or state government, or someone else who might be useful. Cut their best people bc they don't like people with opinions different than the leadership.

Advice to Management

You can make whatever decisions you want, ultimately, but if you have smart people working for you...and you do...listen to them, and then make your decisions. Don't just promote the "yes, whatever you say" employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed