Alliant Energy Reviews

Patricia Kampling

Great company!

Former Employee - Performance Analyst  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Performance Analyst in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Customer focused, with an eye towards internal talent development

Cons

Location (Madison, Wi and Cedar Rapids, Ia)

Work Hard & Bite Your Tongue

Former Employee - Conversion Crew  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Conversion Crew in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Conversion Crew Pays well for very hard labor in timely precision. It's a good job with lots of fun aspects (one can experience a lot of different events, trades shows, etc. even in just one day there). It's a relaxed atmosphere in general.

Cons

No personal lockers at work. One supervisor is a misogynist pig. Right off the bat, he made suggestive comments to me, and later called another woman a big fat slob and that was in front of others in the room.
    Hours are difficult for some, but that's the trade off for a solid job that pays, and a loosely put together method of getting jobs done (for instance, no back up when someone is a no show, resulting in less people to handle an event). We only had three people working the entire coliseum (bathroom monitor for 6000 people?

Lose your archaic Good Old Boy Systems, Create an employee environment worth being there for 8 hours, solidify your basic systems so they are not constantly running on emergency power (that would be HUMAN power).

OK, been there, done that...ho-hum

Former Employee - Manager  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you are looking for a job in Madison with a decent work-life balance you should be able to find it at Alliant Energy

Cons

There aren't many growth opportunities, and plenty of old boys club favorites

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Current Employee - Developer  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Developer in Madison, WI

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am a developer in the information technology area. I have found Alliant to be a very pleasant environment to work in. We have deadlines but nothing unreasonable and there is not ridiculous pressure on developers. I feel the salary and benefits are very competitive and Alliant does a good job in making sure your salary doesn't slip below the market. I have found the people and management to be generally really great people. The company also is very flexible with your schedule.

Cons

The building itself (in Madison on Biltmore) is really bland. Everything is very grey which gives it almost a dismal feeling. The only other thing is PTO (vacation) time which they tend to be very stingy with. You only get 2 weeks of vacation for your first SEVEN YEARS of employment. That's just not enough. Fortunately, you can sometimes get credit for "professional experience" that will get your two 3 weeks a bit faster.

Continue to maintain good communication with your teams and appreciate the value of your employees and I think you will consider to be successful.

Good culture

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and very easy going with flexible time. Competative salaries and bonus.

Cons

A bit too slow pace environment. Promotions are very slow. Training often times has to be done on your own, so not too much encoragement for professional growth.

Allow change and listen to your subordinates.

It was a great opportunity for me to grow in my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Alliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is continuing education and an encouragement to rise higher. If you want to move up, you can do it, no matter where you started.

Cons

politics. But, you will find this in any corporate environment. It is not an insurmountable though.

Continue to encourage the underlings to education and excellence. Flexibility in schedules where its possible. Offer work at home/offsite opportunities. Make production/performance the scale that is weighed for all jobs, not just fitting into the social norm.Don't cookie cutter everyone into roles. Provide more training and support for persons with mental disabilities that may require modified work environments. They can be your best employees.

Non-stop action and learning. Great environment and people.

Former Employee - Performance Engineer Intern  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer Intern in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Alliant Energy as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to move around in the company. Friendly, relaxed environment.

Cons

Most plants are in small, rural towns.

Great starting job, but slow to change

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great job to learn how to grow to the industry you are working in. Co-workers are great to work with

Cons

Slow to change; invoking change to make the business process better can be difficult, but not impossible. To many purchased apps and not much new development.

Great place to work at

Current Employee - Delivery Systems Planning Engineer  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Delivery Systems Planning Engineer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to start a career. People are very friendly and the culture is very lively. Your schedule is usually very flexible and management is very lay-back.

Cons

Promotion is very slow and turn over ratio is high. Their rotation program is not fixed and some processes are slow or mediocre.

Be supportive of career development.

Not a Place for Technical People

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at Alliant Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary and benefits but no longer exceptional after all the cutback since 2008.

Cons

Technical people (anyone with the word "analyst" in their job title) are viewed by management as interchangeable and disposable, regardless of education level, experience or quality of work produced. If you're a technical person who takes pride in your work this is not the company for you. Promotions are 100% political and work experience and performance are meaningless. And being a diverse candidate may get you interviewed and hired but doesn't mean you'll be treated well afterward. I've seen both black and gay people treated very badly despite the constant messages of "we welcome diversity" from HR.

The Cedar Rapids executive management staff is a disaster. Clean house and start over. We know they don't make any major decisions but they make the CR general office a miserable place to work and it doesn't need to be this way.

Worked for Alliant Energy? Contribute to the Community!