Alliant International University

Geoff Cox

1. People here have the heart of gold

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bowie, MD

I have been working at Alliant International University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff are invested in each other and providing students with the best service. Students are passionate and driven to succeed in life. Diversity is another strength of this university. Staff perks were great such as benefits and time off. Flexibility is also a plus working here.

Cons

Transparency and communication were two challenges occurring at this university. Sometimes major changes were announced with little or no input from individuals who were affected by the changes.

Advice to Management

Be open to feedback and willing to disclose changes sooner. Engage the university's stakeholders in all aspects rather than communicate changes after the fact.

2. Don't see people being able to last for too long

Former Employee - Coordinator in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in San Diego, CA

I worked at Alliant International University full-time

Pros

Mission was honorable. Co-workers were extremely talented and wonderful people. Benefits were good.

Cons

Environment became toxic due to poor management and politics involved. Pay was not competitive.

Advice to Management

If you want to build a good reputation, and be competitive you have to listen to the voices of your employees.

Used to be much better...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alliant International University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The flexibility of a university environment, time off, and some great co-workers

Cons

No accountability- you wonder how incompetence can not only be tolerated, but actually rewarded. No professional development opportunities, or incentives to do a good job.

Advice to Management

Geoff Cox needs to go, as well as most of the Top tier of administration. Major decisions are made without the input of students, alumni or faculty, or even relevant market research or data.

a PD's view

Former Employee - Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alliant International University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm stepping down from an adminstrator position of one of the worst run universities around and I can now say that I ran one of the best doctoral programs in clinical psychology my way. If I didn't like someone; I utilized my power for the outcome I wanted. Why? Because I could. No one watched how I steered the ship. Power. Imagine. If I had that power what kind of power do the ones above me have.

Cons

Probably the same as above.

Advice to Management

Clean house

No growth opportunity, continual addition of responsibilities without increase in pay

I have been working at Alliant International University full-time

Pros

Depending on department, great co-workers

Cons

Complete lack of engagement and logical decision making from executive management

7. Thank my lucky stars I left

Former Employee - Academic and Administrative Support II in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Academic and Administrative Support II in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alliant International University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A Paycheck and Benefits. Nice area of San Francisco to work in. Determined co-workers

Cons

Where do I begin... toxic work environment. No performance reviews. Lack of communication from the top down. No clear expectations for the positions and division of labor. CEO and VPs are ineffectual. Would rather overload current employees rather than hire new ones. Lack of resources. Lack of training on information systems and basic functionality of the position. No career development, no professional development, and no clear career path. No raises. Do yourself a favor and look over these reviews carefully and ask yourself is it really worth the aggravation to work here for a low paying position?

Advice to Management

Transfer all the students to other schools and dissolve your university. Your business model has proven to be a failure. Fire the CEO and all VPs. Help those in lower positions obtain employment at better institutes of higher learning.

They have ALOT of jobs posted for a reason...

I have been working at Alliant International University

Pros

Some great people to work with.

I got a paycheck and benefits.

Cons

There's sooooo much to list here. No one is accountable for their actions. It's middle school all over again.

Advice to Management

None...because they don't listen.

9. open to ideas

Former Employee - Adjunct
    Former Employee - Adjunct

I worked at Alliant International University

Pros

I found they were open to new ideas regarding student impact provided that it is reasonably supported with evidence and rationale. The students are great to work with.

Cons

Somewhat bureaucratic, so it took some time for ideas to transpire into action

Variable over the years.

Former Employee - Professor
    Former Employee - Professor

I worked at Alliant International University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The location in San Francisco offers many opportunities for scholarship, research, and professional work. There are many relevant institutions locally.

Cons

Lack of resources for the important things, too many changes without appropriate planning. Poor relationships among constituent groups. Poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Too much to write.

11. Ok place to work

Current Employee - Program Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Program Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

Flexibility, academic environment, working with students

Cons

Always struggling financially, never enough in the budget to do things well, poor upper leadership who is out of touch

RSS Feed </> Embed