Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition

Updated May 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark W. DeYoung

Interesting place to work..

Financial (Former Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsFactory atmosphere in a dynamic industry.

ConsLeadership at ATK Lake City above manager is a joke. The company has no direction and is hampered by people who think they are smart but are not. How can you claim a "win" in a negotiated contract when you leave hundred of millions on the table as a huge under bid..not once but twice...and keep your job? So layoffs will occur due to mid guided contract proposal "wins" that can never achieve the cost structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful with employees. Get rid of long time upper management baggage that cannot get along with anyone. Offer mid year bonus to wage workers instead of spending expense dollar on "beautification". Quit putting MORONS in charge of 4 and 10 year contract proposals. Boost the stock price as far as you can, so the take over bid will at least provide long time stock holders with a premium before they get laid off. The intra company employee satisfaction surveys tell a true and forever ignored story.

The CONS are RIGHT ON. DO NOT take a job here.

Independence, MO

ProsProud to support the warfighter

ConsThis place is poorly managed, and extremely dysfunctional. People are put into positions that they are not qualified for, partly because of the 'good ole boy' network, and partly because they cannot attract good talent because nobody wants to work there. Working conditions are poor. Sewage leaking from upstairs bathrooms to lunch room below. Many safety violations that do not get taken care of in a timely manner.
    Women are not respected hered.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your employees fairly, and listen to them. Managers are allowed to unfairly 'mark' a person as a poor worker, but there is no outlet for an employee to give their side of the story. Many times poor performance is actually a result of poor leadership and management.
    Please let HR represent both management and non-management. There is no fairness here. I truly belief HR wants to treat people fairly, but they feel threatened by management. This is a hostile work environment.

Working at Lake City is like working during WWII.

Warehouse (Current Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsBenefits are extremely competitive. Management and employees are very patriotic. Management and employees are committed to supporting the war fighter.

ConsManagement does not care about the safety and well being of its employees. Safety meetings are required per the Government contract, but management only does what is required by law for Safety. Management won't implement safety ideas from employees if it costs money and/or labor. Employees are penalized for not coming to work during blizzard conditions. There is absolutely no life-work balance. Facilities Maintenance is poor. My building was without a restroom for 2 months during the winter. It was only repaired after a local politician was made aware of the situation. Management pushes number of kaizens, but does not care about the quality of the kaizens. Their HR department has a policy on performance reviews that does not allow most employees to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management & HR that genuinely care about the employees. Reward employees for their efforts instead of making them feel like they should be grateful for the opportunity to work for you. Provide opportunities for career growth.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A bad company, don't work for them

Op-tech (Current Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsThe pay is average for the industry, below average if you consider you have to be federally licensed and work with explosives.

ConsYou are only a number, they don't care at all about you. you will be doing the work of several departments without compensation. They don't care about any standards; for example having production doing qualities job because they fired the Quality dept. to save money even though this is generally unacceptable. Don't even try getting benefits they will fight you and delay as long as they possibly can.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell out. give the company to someone who cares about their employees and customers. You make ammo for the army and don't care what quality you send them

Love the mission to support the war-fighter but...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhat you do every day makes a difference in the lives of our soldiers. No place like it anywhere else in the world. Remarkable.

ConsThe company truly does not care about its employees. An "engaged workforce" is just a catch phrase. They don't appreciate the many talented employees they have or had. Sadly this has caused the wage employees to vote in a union for the first time in nearly 73 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany and management need to value the employees as an asset and enforce it.

Dead end, shaky future

Class 16 (Current Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsPay is above average for general labor.

ConsPay scale could be improved, no confidence in long term employment, management in touch with workers - they just don't care, absence policy a joke, benefits aren't what they used to be

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers. A happy work force would save you so much money. No one cares about working hard for you if they're always mad at you. Don't give half of the salary work force a raise, while paying the CEO 9 million bucks a year, and then tell the wage employees you can't afford to give them any raise.

Disappointing.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe work is meaningful and there's a wide variety to keep technical people engaged. A majority of the wage employees are well meaning and that makes supporting them enjoyable.

Some technical leaders create an environment of development, shared goals, and a sense of family. If you were lucky enough to be in that group, the experience was incredible.

ConsA majority of the leadership team lacks the ability to formulate a long-term strategy which makes it difficult for mid-level leaders to create a tactical plan. They aren't patient enough to execute a plan which reaches out further than 2-3 months.

The current technical leadership is poor at judging talent in both engineering skills and leadership skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a time of great change at Lake City. Please reflect on the leadership team (directors) and where there are deficiencies, take quick and decisive action.

Run from this place as fast as possible. Do not look back!

Laborer (Current Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsI am currently employed for lake city in independence mo. for eight years. Management frequently discriminates against certain races of people. The company talks about safety yet we work mandatory twelve hour shifts sometimes six days a week. This is an unethical place to work. We are treated like Hebrew slaves and overworked with little time left to spend with family members. No pros working for this company.

ConsBecause of this companies underbidding contracts with the government we are constantly laid-off and the employees that have high seniority face pay cuts after years of service. There is no future with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor safety purposes management should consider a return to ten hour a day four day a week shifts. With voluntary overtime. All work and no rest spells accidents.

Once Great Place to Work is Now a Nightmare

Finance (Former Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsThere are not any Pros of working here anymore. Avoid like the plague.

ConsSome of the worst management ever. Completely out of touch with workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let someone else run the company.

DISAPPOINTING!!!! treated like dogs after years of serves...

Lead (Current Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsBenefits are still decent but they are trying to rip those from us as well to put more money in their pockets

ConsTreat employees like slaves. Constantly under a hostile work environment with them threatening our jobs. Management does not care about the quality of the product that we are sending the war fighter.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees with respect, maintain the quality!!!

Worked for Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition CEO Mark W. DeYoung. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Alliant Lake City Small Caliber Ammunition employees.