Alliant Technologies Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Bruce Flitcroft

Culture and messaging got a makeover

I have been working at Alliant Technologies

Pros

Over the past few years, Alliant has gone through a number of major transitions. The company underwent an in depth rebranding initiative complete with the launch of a new logo, updated website, refreshed messaging and defined values. We even moved into a brand new, state-of-the-art office with a NOC and lab. All the new employees we’re hiring will be introduced to the new Career Path Development Program designed to help employees choose and tailor their advancement plan. There have been lots of changes to the company and culture recently and even more are on the horizon. I’ve been an Alliant employee for close to seven years and it’s amazing to see what a different company it is today from when I started. I bet former employees would not even recognize it. Alliant is definitely getting better with age.

Cons

With the speed at which Alliant is growing, resources can sometimes be an issue. The new Career Path Development plan and current recruiting effort should help address that.

2. Good experience for new IT graduates

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Alliant Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has very dedicated engineers and sales operations. The technicians are dedicated. The working level staff all pull together and have a pay-it-forward approach to helping.

Cons

The pay is below market and they take advantage of new graduates trying to begin a career. There is no formal training or career development and if you initiate training you better make sure the agreement to have them pay is in writing. To many simultaneous projects.

Advice to Management

Understand that you customer facing staff is the key to ensuring customer satisfaction and on-going business. How you treat them is will come across in their willingness to go the extra mile.

Lots of positive changes

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Alliant Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with some really great people New emphasis on carreer path, certs Opportunities to learn and work on new technolgies New managment working hard to improve the company Most manegers really care about you and your job Pay is good w/bonuses for certs

Cons

The CEO gets too involved in day to day stuff Some depts need more people

Advice to Management

Need to spend money on better equiopment like servers, laptops. Seriously, Windows 2003? Spend money on some company events like happy hours you used to do

Unbelievable..... I mean just unbelievable.... This was my worst career move!!!

Former Employee - Engineer in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Alliant Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot even say getting paid is a pro by working at Alliant as their salary structure is 30% below market rate.

Cons

As an engineer below is your task list: 1. Assist in presales. 2. Implement assigned projects. 3. Support them. 4. Work with Sales Ops in making the sure Bill of Material is accurate. 5. Work on SoW development. 6. Work about 55 hours a week, that's normal. 7. Work nights and weekends. 8. Work Holidays........ and much more!!! Now, here you don't paid for presales, you don't get paid for working additional nights/weekends or working holidays. If you assisted an account manager and they close the business, only account manager makes money with salesops getting little commission, but engineer does not get paid for it as Alliant says that it is expected from an engineer. You don't get yearly reviews. If you are one of the luck ones to get a review, you'll not get a raised and your manager will come up all sorts of reasons. I am sure anyone who will interview will be told that their compensation package and career development is best in the industry, even better than google. Only way to get a raise in the company is to resign. You are told that you are will be eligible for a promotion or raise, but it is at management discretion to give it to you and they'll come up with some BS and you'll never see a raise. Trust me, you'll make 30% more outside. As an engineer you'll never get trained. I suggest you train yourself... unfortunately there is no one who has your back. Your manager is no power to do anything.... Designation looks good only on a visiting card. Long story short, be extremely cautious before you join Alliant, don't fall for what they say during the interview process. Whatever they tell or promise you will never happen.

Advice to Management

What advise... the management knows it all!!!!

Alliant Technologies Response

Mar 25, 2015 – VP Product Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We heard from our team that there was an opportunity for Alliant to better support career growth. At the end of 2014, we developed and rolled out ... More

Solid place to work, fresh business model, lots of new opportunity

Current Employee - Sales in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Alliant Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great recent additions to management. Good team atmosphere, very knowledgeable and talented engineers. Company has evolved rapidly over the past year, exciting time to work here.

Cons

Can be a bit hectic at times - be prepared to put the time in if you want to work here.

Advice to Management

Continue along the path outlined to the employees and everything will be fine.

Bold visions with very smart people changing IT service delivery.

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Alliant Technologies full-time

Pros

If you want to work for a traditional Cisco VAR, there are tons of them out there, and this probably isn't the best place for you. If you want to swoop into a customer, deploy a shiny new box, update your resume, and head out the door, this isn't your place. If you want to really be a part of something truly innovative, if you can step back and look at the real big picture of how infrastructure services are delivered start to finish, this is where it's happening. But change is hard. It's hard work, it's hard emotionally, it can be hard to wrap your head around a new way of doing things. It can be hard to find your way when you're not following someone else. I've been here for a number of years now, and there have been some people who were just unable or unwilling to adapt to the transition from a traditional VAR model to a services model, and have left unhappy.

Cons

Very hard work - some long hours, high pressure, high stress.

Advice to Management

Make sure candidates for hire really understand our service and business model. Keep lines of communication open – consider more frequent, but brief, all-hands discussions.

Exciting company to work for. Great team environment.

I have been working at Alliant Technologies

Pros

Alliant is the kind of place where you truly get out what you put in. The company has really transformed in the past year and has provided countless opportunities for learning and growth. You have to be willing to work, willing to think, and willing to take on exciting challenges. If you do those things, you will thrive. With regard to culture, the team is tremendous and I have experienced great camaraderie in my years here.

Cons

There was a rough patch where the company experienced some turnover, and change is never easy. That being said, I believe the current team is stronger than ever.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees by providing training and cross-departmental learning opportunities.

great place to learn cutting edge information technology

Current Employee - Associate Engineer Tier I in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer Tier I in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Alliant Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay crucial hands on learning and exposure to amazing technologies good supervisor

Cons

lack of communications and long hours over cut overs

Advice to Management

explain career path opportunities and corporate initiative earlier and more often

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Consulting Engineer in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at Alliant Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Solid long term visions as an IT consulting firm - Wide technologies areas to learn - Great colleagues to work with - Work from anywhere based on job function

Cons

Lack of communications on some projects sometimes, not critical though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Great learning opportunity

Former Employee - Managed Services Engineer in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Managed Services Engineer in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Alliant Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you will learn a lot about lots of different technologies, Most of the Staff are really nice people.

Cons

so so management,and you have to work toward/ Ask for a raise

RSS Feed </> Embed