Alliant Techsystems

Alliant Techsystems Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Alliant Techsystems President, CEO, and Director Mark W. DeYoung

Mark W. DeYoung

Pros
  • The company has fairly good benefits but the medical costs are quite steep for a large company(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay and vacation including health insurance(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to move up in management unless related to or friends with members of upper management(in 15 reviews)

• High overhead, poor management in an extremely competitive low growth industry(in 6 reviews)

Was awesome when I started; then corporate showed up

Mission Assurance Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsSpace Systems is interesting work, always changing and the worker bees were great

ConsSmaller locations get no viability from corporate. Seems like corporate has no heart at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan happen, but not a sure thing

Disjointed, like many companies this size, but overall a good place to work

ProsAwesome manager to work for and with
    Awesome IT folks to work with
    Change is encouraged
    "right people, right time, right job" or something like that

ConsStuck in the dark ages in some ways
    CIO so stuck on security, forgets that we need access and hardware to get our jobs done.
    Work load is unbalanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head our of the clouds and listen to the workerbees. Quarterly All Hands are a waste of everyone's time. Just send us your little video update so we can get back to work, because I like to see my family every once in awhile. Or better yet, lets move towards telecommuting. We're spread all over the country anyway. And get a CIO with common sense.

Mixed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood engineers and technology - innovative projects

Consemphasis on delivery over quality

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management not being truthful to the government

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay and benefits, difficult to move up.

Supervisor (Former Employee) Roanoke, VA

ProsGood management pay and raises. Had a productive relationship with the labor union on site. Solid effort toward profit enhancement led to monetary gains for all members of management.

ConsDifficult to move up in management unless related to or friends with members of upper management. Friends and family will move up quickly; most others will not. Morale killer.

Poor Management is the cause of RIF

Engineering Technician 08 (Former Employee) Goleta, CA

ProsGreat pay, good insurance and 401k.

ConsToo much focus on lean manufacturing; pushing the meaning of family or employee family out. There is no more camaraderie between staff, no more happy BBQ's, no more happy holiday events just everyone out for themselves. It is now a survival game. Too make matters worse, ATK's promise to hire and keep VETRANS employed is now our the door. I, being a war vet of 10 years, worked at ATK for 7 years in Goleta, CA was laid off with 16 others in March 2014, without warning. Now, I am lost, with out words of respect nor compassion for this so called a veteran support company. As EDD said, SHAME ON ATK!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo ahead and close Goleta, CA find out just how much we as family mean to each other!

Good company with average benefits.

ProsExtremely safety conscious. Try to do the best by their employees. Slow to hire, slow to fire.

ConsReally struggling implementing a lean culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to figure out what truely adds value to the organization. Eliminate road blocks / systems that require effort to maintain and ultimately does not provide any benfits. Work with employees to show what a successful day should look and feel like.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

ATK in Clearwater is Sinking Ship

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL

ProsPay if you negotiate it good. Otherwise, it can be below industry average. People are nice in general as long as you do not point that something can be improved because it automatically means it was designed wrong. As long as you do not go against the grain they will be nice to you.

ConsIn January, 2013 15 employees were laid off.

In September, 2013 19 salaried employees were laid off.

In March, 2014 11 salaried employees were laid off.

ATK in Clearwater lost a big program because of not meeting deadlines, lying to, and hiding faulty design from the only customer they have. Right now, almost half the employees are on overhead charge number which means they are waiting to get laid off. Everyone who is hard working and contributor already left or is looking for job somewhere else and wants to jump out of the sinking ship. ATK in Clearwater used to have good reputation, but now its reputation is the lowest ever. Managers blame each other with no idea how to secure new contracts. The so called most experienced engineers here are just trying to collect as much as possible before retirement working at the slowest possible pace. Too much frustration around here while poor management and corrupted engineers try to hide faulty design from the only one customer they have. Too many dinosaur engineers very angry and hostile to coworkers. Run away from this place. Actually, you do not have to because they will not be hiring for decades to come.

Advice to Senior Managementsee the above. There are way too many managers at ATK

Good company to work for. Great people to work with

Supervisor (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsFlexible, good work environment, good co-workers

ConsBonuses are hit or miss, Job title structure is lacking

Absolutely the biggest waste of six months spent in my career

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Clearfield, UT

ProsGreat peers to work with, but watch your back with a few of them

ConsManagers were so disconnected and unconcerned with your activity until they had new ideas that were never communicated in the original scope. Old manager hired me and then left weeks later; new manager came in and treated me worse than any manager and let me go two weeks before Christmas. What company does that?!

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper-level management needs to develop a better company culture that follows what their code of conduct says they follow. Also need to not worry about losing the "rotten eggs in the basket" that are there collecting for retirement.

Once a Great Place to Work, Now Getting Worse by the Day.

Pros-There are still some great people working here: talented, hard working, smart. Many have left, but there are still some great ones trying to hold it all together.

-The amount of Paid Time Off (PTO) is still pretty good, especially if you've been with the company at least 5 years (but they have been chipping away at this and with the workload, it's really hard to TAKE the time you have; "losing" vacation is a common problem)

Cons-Management has lost all appreciation for the workforce and has no understanding of what motivates (or de-motivates) the people getting things done

-Completely under-resourced for the work going on

-Morale among employees is incredibly low (between the schedules that eliminate the hope of work-life balance, and the insults and berating from management)

-Benefits have been chipped away bit by bit over the years

-Career growth and opportunities have diminished to nothing

-No training

-Increasing layers of middle managers who do not perform value-added work and often lack the skills to even step in and take on sporadic tasks to balance work loads.

-Forced bell-curve ranking system

-If you are lucky enough to get a raise (which most people weren't last year), it will be tiny

Advice to Senior Management-Shed the arrogance and the layers of middle managers who don't actually perform work.

-If you're going to preach "lean" and "efficient" ask yourself how efficient it is to constantly have the people who are actually doing work stopping to prepare for and attend meetings that are only for the benefit of informing management--not for accomplishing tasks.

-Understand that insults and reprimands from task masters in management completely undermine productivity--respecting and valuing employees and the wealth of knowledge many of them can bring to a team is going to deliver far better results.

-Lose the ranking system

Worked for Alliant Techsystems? Contribute to the Community!