Alliant Techsystems

Alliant Techsystems Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Alliant Techsystems President, CEO, and Director Mark W. DeYoung

Mark W. DeYoung

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, good pay and vacation including health insurance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The company has fairly good benefits but the medical costs are quite steep for a large company"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Difficult to move up in management unless related to or friends with members of upper management"
    in 14 reviews
  • "tunnel vision management and top heavy"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

ATK is an excellent place to work. If you want to work on leading edge products and projects this is the place to work

Plymouth, MN

ProsATK is a great place to develop and broaden your skills. If you are willing to step up and stretch yourself you will get to work on really challenging and rewarding projects.

ConsIt isn't really a con, but you must be comfortable with change. There is a lot of change as this company is willing to try different things and course correct when things don't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to venturing into adjacent and new markets.

Good pay, but some of the business lines are in trouble financially

Lead Design and Analysis Engineer (Former Employee)
    Brigham City, UT

ProsGreat pay. I made more money here than anywhere else I ever worked. Benefits are good. Work was interesting and exciting until Obama cancelled the manned space program and the shuttle retired

ConsLayoffs are part of the business due to high dependence on government projects. The Promontory plant, sometimes listed as being in Brigham City, is a long commute from any housing. The nearest town (600 people) is 23 miles a way. Roads are good and fast, but patrolled by police

Advice to Senior ManagementStop fooling yourself and your employees. Be realistic about opportunities in the space program

It's all about the profit line, and there is no value place on the employees.

Program Manager II (Former Employee)
    Commerce, CA

ProsHigh quality products, and some very talented individuals. The products are exciting as they support nearly all of the satellite programs out there. Business has been steadily growing, and ATK is not only one of the only sources for the product, but the highest quality.

ConsEmployee turnover rate is excessive (10-20% /year) with people being walked out or quitting on a regular basis.
    Upper Management operates in a vacuum, and wants no input from line management or employees.
    Abysmal working conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider Voice Of Employee in decision making. Maybe an employee survey is in order, but would anyone in upper management listen?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. Cutting edge technology

ProsGreat place to work. Cutting edge technology

ConsDefense industry downturn tough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep winning contracts!

Very interesting technically, but too much politics

Design Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe work is interesting from a technical point of view. The work force is excellent. Lots of PhDs running around that you can learn a lot from.

ConsThe company is severely over-managed. It seems like there is one VP and a couple directors for every worker bee. The space systems has been in trouble since Obama took office and turned NASA upside down. ATK lost much of it's space business. All this results in a very political and depressing atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire most of the upper management.

It was great to work on our country's defense systems

Operator Level1 (Former Employee)
    Magna, UT

ProsThe pride in our workmanship was great. The wages were great and it was close by home. Benefits were pretty cheap and there was always overtime.Lots of cross training if you wanted to learn a new cell. Lots of great wildlife on plant, saw deer everyday.

ConsManagement and wage roll were always seeing each other as the enemy. One never trusted the other so there was always constant stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe see what is really bugging some one deep down when they are having problems on the job and offer them help if you can. Sometimes just caring about someone goes a long ways.

RUN

ProsIf you are white, male and military this is the place for you

ConsOTHERWISE RUN like hell this place is full of old white men

The Worst Ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe experience I gained there from working with mechanisms is very applicable to mechanical engineering. For the most part the co-workers are really nice and helpful as management doesn't have a clue as to what direction they are heading from one quarter to the next.

ConsThe management changes on a constant basis to try to fill the positions vacated by people that are either asked to leave or leave on their own behalf. The average tenure of an engineer in the department I worked in is less than 5 years due to the decisions that management has made on restructuring the company. There is no formal training program for engineers and when mistakes are made as a lack of training, they are spoken to with little respect. I believe this (department) has a short future and will be sold off soon due to the high attrition rate, poor choice of leadership and constant change of direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a plan and stick with it! Hire managers with experience not because of the good ol' boy system. It takes more than free turkeys and coffee mugs to make employees happy. I had a friend interview with this company and they say that there is no way that they would take the job based on the attitude and feedback of the phone interview which was impersonal, unprofessional and arrogant at best. Seniority should be based on experience in a position not who is available to fill the seat.

Appreciation for Internal Talent

Hourly (Former Employee)
    Lewiston, ID

ProsThe fact that you get really good discounts on ammunition is great as long as you are a gun and ammo person.

ConsInternal HR practices and use of "Total Talent" to fill internal positions is under utilized at best if not a total sham. Friends of friends get hired regardless of qualifications of internal applicants and seniority gets used inconsistently.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the "talent" within "Total Talent" when making decisions. Recruit and hire within before advertizing outside so someone's buddy can get in the door. This will build long term loyalty from the existing employees.

Spinning wheels in San Diego

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people willing to work hard. Unfortunately due to management foul ups and inability to
    control customers extra work is required frequently. The work is challenging and technically interesting.

ConsHigh overhead, poor management in an extremely competitive low growth industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut overhead. There are too many managers making our corporate overhead charges extremely uncompetitive.

Worked for Alliant Techsystems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Alliant Techsystems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Alliant Techsystems CEO Mark W. DeYoung. All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Alliant Techsystems employees.