Alliant Techsystems

Alliant Techsystems Reviews in Plymouth, MN

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Alliant Techsystems President, CEO, and Director Mark W. DeYoung

Mark W. DeYoung

Pros
  • The company has fairly good benefits but the medical costs are quite steep for a large company(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay and vacation including health insurance(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to move up in management unless related to or friends with members of upper management(in 15 reviews)

• High overhead, poor management in an extremely competitive low growth industry(in 6 reviews)

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company, great people, but Defense industry outlook is pretty bleak

Mission Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) Plymouth, MN

ProsTop-notch engineers, exciting projects, good support from managers, lean focus throughout organization. Decent work/life balance (9/80 schedule: every-other-Friday off; flex hours). Good pay, benefits.

ConsConstant stress and "re-org fatigue" due to on-going realignment within the Defense Group. Long-term outlook for the group is not too great at the moment (much better for the Sporting Group and Aerospace Group).

Advice to Senior ManagementMore two-way communication (less one-way/directive); more support for continuous improvement activities.

Worked for ATK in Plymouth, but upper management located in West Virginia - obviously a bad situation for all!

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN

ProsThe fellow engineers and analysts are good at what they do and are good people. The building is well maintained and the free coffee/tea is welcome. The benefits are par for a small defense company.

ConsPOOR MANAGEMENT! Example: if you run out of work to do, the section lead wants you (engineer) to run around and ask for work - this is not the case in most companies. In most defense or aero companies the section lead finds the work for the engineer. The company is mostly defense, which means that the work flow varies as a roller coaster. Be prepared for layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be closer to those they mange, either move the operation to Rocket Center West Virginia, or move management to Plymouth - this is a necessity. Also, section leads (middle and lower management) should take more of an interest in their charges - they need to understand that management should manage - it is not realistic to expect employees to run around looking for work from other employees.

ATK is an excellent place to work. If you want to work on leading edge products and projects this is the place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN

ProsATK is a great place to develop and broaden your skills. If you are willing to step up and stretch yourself you will get to work on really challenging and rewarding projects.

ConsIt isn't really a con, but you must be comfortable with change. There is a lot of change as this company is willing to try different things and course correct when things don't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to venturing into adjacent and new markets.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ATK is a good company to work for

Finance (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN

ProsThe employees at ATK were very supportive. They all wanted to make sure that I felt confortable at the company and that I was treated with respect.

ConsManagement gave me little feedback on my performance. I wish I knew a little bit more about how I was performing whether the information be good or bad. I did get to interact with managers on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to know a little bit more about my own career development.

Great, but wish they had more!

Intern (Current Employee) Plymouth, MN

ProsWorking on products that make a difference. I love working on new defense measures and defense weapons. Things that the soldier will get use when they go out on the battlefield! This company will continue to grow if they keep up the way they do business, they do an excellent job thanking their employees. My coworkers have been great and have always been wiling to help me no matter how easy the question is to answer.

ConsPlymouth is small and limited career opportunities within the division. I wish they had more jobs that directly applied to areas that strongly interested me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, feels almost like a family when I come to work.

Worked for Alliant Techsystems? Contribute to the Community!