Alliant Techsystems

Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

Alliant Techsystems President, CEO, and Director Mark W. DeYoung
Mark W. DeYoung

Pros
  • Great benefits, good pay and vacation including health insurance (in 13 reviews)

• The company has fairly good benefits but the medical costs are quite steep for a large company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to move up in management unless related to or friends with members of upper management (in 15 reviews)

• High overhead, poor management in an extremely competitive low growth industry (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Worked with great people.

Former Employee - Production Scheduling
    Former Employee - Production Scheduling

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation was fair, work life balance was good as well. Benefits are what you would expect for a large employer. Many opportunities to participate in new projects and gain experience.

Cons

Andvancement difficult due to the lack of openings if you are not located at the headquarters. Reluctance to hold meetings remotely can lead to excesive travel.

This company used to be great

I have been working at Alliant Techsystems

Pros

Great PTO
    Decent Health Coverage
    Great Dental

Cons

They continue to take away benefits. We used to work 4 10 hour days and had Friday's off, now we are shifting to 5 8 hour days. Those Friday's made a real difference. It seems that the company is moving away from everything that used to help it make money and make it a great place to work.

Get rid of current division management who has no clue. They try and run things from a top level with no knowledge of what happens at our level.

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Nozzle Analysis in Corinne, UT
    Former Employee - Nozzle Analysis in Corinne, UT

I worked at Alliant Techsystems as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Got treated like any other engineer at the company. Great people to work with. The management in general are personable and likable.

Cons

The number of layoffs in the recent past seem to have created a culture of mistrust in management.

Be honest and courteous to your employees. Try to put yourself in their shoes.

Quality Inspector, Defense, Lake City Ammunition Army Base

Former Employee - Inspector, Quality in Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Inspector, Quality in Independence, MO

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful people! i loved my coworkers and the company kept us well informed and treated us well. It's a manufacturing environment but the upper management still brought us in monthly for hour long meetings to talk about safety, profits, statistics, company issues, etc. At holidays the company held lunch or dinners for us, catered, gave us pretty decent gifts, like bags, shirts, even turkeys on Thanksgiving. I felt respected and valued by the company and i loved my team!

Cons

Sadly, laid off after the military cut backs. ATK had to deal with significant decreases in profitability and thus, restructured in a way to maximize. This resulted in lesser quality assurance and probably will increase some safety problems. I don't think the company expected this kind of decrease so suddenly.

consider retaining your best people in cut backs....?

Incompetent Management, Brilliant Engineers, Everyone Terrified.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ronkonkoma, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ronkonkoma, NY

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-amazing technology, able to develop products that launch
    -machine shop, test facilities and design engineering capabilities all on site

Cons

-corporate management is consistently a joke
    -top down hierarchical culture
    -inability to appropriately plan match people's skills to projects
    -severe underbidding on multiple projects hurts valued customers
    -people screaming at each other is allowed - lack of professionalism is rampant from top down
    -everything is a secret - communication is terrible
    -nobody ever explain the "whys" or has a vision of the future
    -no strategic direction, site management is a puppet to the larger organization
    -human resources is a joke - they do not care or monitor that people are unhappy
    -morale is terrible, high degree of nepotism
    -everyone is scared of losing their job, people are just waiting to be fired to collect their severance
    -questionable "bonding" with the PMs on the government side - when your gov't customer gets a DUI after they've been out with you and the company then I think there is a severe cultural problem propagated and encouraged by the site head because they are too scared to actually enforce ethics.

This is one of the few times where I actually think that a high priced consultant is necessary. Hire McKinsey and clean house of the terrible middle management.
    -Sorely lacking good leadership- develop a leadership development program
    -Offer optional buyouts that are greater than severance. If you did the calcs then you would save a lot more money on overhead.
    -Actually develop your engineers' skill sets

Great personnel and great company ideals

Former Employee - Tool Engineer
    Former Employee - Tool Engineer

I worked at Alliant Techsystems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people who work here are very knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge. There is a strong sense of teamwork and sharing company goals. The company also holds true to their ethical practices and company quality policies. They intend to meet or exceed customer requirements and expectations. Additionally, their testing facilities are top-notch and they continually improve on the quality of their products.

Cons

I did not make note of any cons due to the short time that I was with the company.

Good intern experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Alliant Techsystems as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of good work experience and exposure to company culture. Compensation was okay but relaxed manager made up for it. Overall treatment was great for engineers and office staff but not as good for operators.

Cons

Was only an intern so I had limited responsibility. Some people didn't try hard or didn't care because they had seniority and were locked in. Seems like one can get stuck in a position unless they strive for other opportunities within the company.

Great company to work for. Hard work, but you can balance work and life pretty well.

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at Alliant Techsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small enough to get exposed to various different activities.

Cons

Paid vacation includes sick days and carry over unused paid vacation hours is only 80hrs per year.

If company restrict unused paid vacation carry over to following year so tightly, company should allow sick day or vice versa.

Manufacturing Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Alliant Techsystems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting products, intelligent people, large infrastructure in aerospace products. Work life balance is reasonable, benefits are industry average (some better, some worse). Their 401k offering is above par, good health benefits and employee discounts.

Cons

PTO is combined vacation/sick, which isn't great, but average. Wide variety of maturity across sites, leads to some lack of process definition and teaming. Work atmosphere was a bit haphazard at times, with nebulous goals & way too much focus on metrics that didn't really mean anything.

Recognize employees need support, and don't just expect they have everything handled. Look at providing more process maturity & consistency across sites, organization & divisions. Stop managing from above with useless metrics and start understanding what's going on in the business. Get rid of the "yes men/women" and the buzzword bingo toting managers. Cultivate real talent and push the penny pinchers & micro-managers aside.

The job is fine, management is iffy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Ashby, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Ashby, WV

I have been working at Alliant Techsystems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You work with explosives, flexible start times, 9/80 schedule

Cons

To much interoffice politics! (but this is likely everywhere in today's employment)

People who actually work their whole shift should receive a positive rating. Those who only work half their shift should receive a poor rating.

Address problems with the person or persons who have the problem.

Alliant Techsystems Photos

ATK Space systems, tall windowless building located at 16707 Via Del Campo Court, San Diego, CA?
Sign outside ATK Space systems located at 16707 Via Del Campo Court, San Diego, CA?

+ Add Photo