Allianz Global Assistance

Reset
3.7
Allianz Global Assistance President & CEO Michael J. Nelson
Michael J. Nelson

Pros
  • The people who work here are fabulous (in 9 reviews)

• The work life balance is also a major plus (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is really bad it is expected that you will work until the work is complete regardless of the time necessary to complete tasks (in 3 reviews)

• A ton of good people have left to get jobs somewhere else (in 4 reviews)

1. Solid place to work

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mechanicsville, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Mechanicsville, VA

I worked at Allianz Global Assistance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place and enjoyed my time there. Made a lot of friends and overall a solid company with good benefits.

Cons

Benefits were solid but probably just a notch below the other main companies in the area.

Advice to Management

Continue to take stock in what associates think and value their opinion.

2. Enjoy everyday

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great company for personal growth and benefits. Fairness is a key word for AGA and makes for a very enjoyable work environment. I proud to say that I work for AGA and encourage all who ask to apply for a position here.

Cons

Allianz is a large company and not all things are perfect. However, you have the opportunity the make a good living and a great life by working here. If you choose to complain about every little thing you will never be happy...so things you don't bleed over.

Advice to Management

Keep growing this company and doing the right things. Benefits, bonuses, pay, functions, gym, beautiful place to work and total rewards, thank you!

3. HR Analyst

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Allianz Global Assistance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are what make AGA an amazing employer! Relaxed environment that preaches work/life balance and provides many incentives for getting and remaining healthy. Compensation and Benefits are on point and exceed in some areas compared to other local employers. Volunteering events help bring teams together. Overall, great work atmosphere and team!

Cons

Confusion between parent company and business unit is noticeable. This is being addressed through ongoing communication and education internally so this is a work in progress. It helps that the business unit falls nicely under the Allianz umbrella so that helps.

Advice to Management

Embrace leaders in all forms, not just those who have a direct report.

5. Finance

Pros

Great work environment. Plenty of opportunities for growth within the organization. The other employees are all very friendly and quick to help when first starting.

Cons

Non competitive salary when compared to other financial companies. Lack of training. Incompetent managers.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee developement.

6. District Director

Former Employee - District Director/Sales Manager and Coordinator in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Allianz Global Assistance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Worked with a great team. Company is always interested in new ideas

Cons

work/life balance is not valued. Working while on vacation was generally expected. If you enjoy being micro managed this is a great position! There is a conference call to discuss what you will do for the week, then a call to discuss how the week is progressing, then a call to discuss how the week ended, and it better all be in Sales Force, along with a document to support what was discussed. Very difficult to get the actual job done.

7. FP&A

Current Employee - FP&A in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - FP&A in Richmond, VA

Pros

The environment is very friendly at AGA. Everyone seems to get along and interact even outside of work. Senior management is very friendly and open to suggestions. They also allow individuals to pursue their own ideas.

Cons

The work can seem repetitive. To be successful at AGA, you must have a good attention to detail and be open to redoing your work in the format that the higher-ups prefer.

8. AGA RVA

Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Reporting Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Allianz Global Assistance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good team environment. Awesome office space. SLT and Directors are mostly very intelligent and driven.

Cons

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees.

Multiple Positions Same Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Allianz Global Assistance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful building, engaged CEO, relaxed work environment really helps, diverse work environment with all levels of the business being under one building

Cons

Salary is low on multiple positions except for entry-level customer service. Favoritism from all levels of management that isn't isolated to one department is widely known, it has been in every department in operations. Inconsistent communication between divisions. Long work hours in my current position but no overtime pay to compensate for the long hours. They need to be sensitive to associates with disabilities that aren't visible from mental disorders to physical disorders, participation within corporate sponsored community events is expected regardless of physical ability to participate, in that if you don't participate it could impact your ability for a raise or overall performance. On a corporate level they are very slow to implement improvements or changes to the work environment or items to benefit the business. Other divisions seem to get preferential treatment even though they are consistently behind on deadlines that impact the work-life balance of other divisions. Diversity used to be a great thing but now the CEO team has just 1 woman and the rest are men, we used to have a department that was able to do in house translations but they let all of them go due to a contract not getting renewed. They did not honor their promises for those impacted by the layoff and many (like me) chose to come back after less than 6 months of being laid off but were forced to give up all of their tenure and be treated like new staff when they should be treated with honor and respect for choosing to come back. The ability to advance in a lot of positions is next to impossible unless you are willing to suck up even if you aren't qualified for the position. The increased focus on cutting costs has been obvious. Also, horrible departmental managers that play favorites, do not stand up for their associates and purposely try to make the most dedicated worker quit are still with the company even though their reputation for that has been widely known since for years. They claim to care about their associates but most say things but do the complete opposite and in my mind, actions speak louder than words.

Advice to Management

Do not play favorites to associates. Listen to associates for what they are interested in to develop them as employees. Stand up for associates with physical and/or mental disabilities and do not hold them accountable for being unable to participate in events that they are medically not advised to participate in. Be open to listening to associates and their issues, do not brush those issues off or tell associates to "deal with it" Actually take action on items that associates care about instead of saying something and doing absolutely nothing.

10. Great work environment.

Pros

The team leaders and middle management have open doors and open minds. They are here to help you develop. They work hard to find which department fits you best. Because of the diverse products and services we provide, there are many roles and departments to try on for size. The product we offer is top notch and I truly believe in the company's commitment to its values.

Cons

There is a huge problem with pay. The company uses a point system for rewards, and hand out trinkets for a thank you. They have a monthly social that occurs while most people are working. Because of the short ten minute break you are allotted, you don't have the time to be social. Basically, it fees like you are a child sneaking a plate of finger food while the adults are having a party, and then you have to go back to the kids table. It sounds like they are having fun, and I'm sure the salaried employees love it, but the backbone of your company is underpaid and working during your monthly celebration.

Advice to Management

I stay at the company because I believe in our products. In our commitment to our customers, and the family we have. But the pay of other companies markedly higher. I was approached to move to another department because they felt I would be an asset there, and they said I could keep my pay rate and hours. They cut my hourly rate by 10%. I am hoping they did that because they are giving all of the hourly associates 10% raise across the board. Seeing people leave every couple of weeks because of low pay is demoralizing. We don't need ice cream sandwiches and lanyards and socials. Just competitive pay. I really love the company and don't want to leave.

Allianz Global Assistance Response

Jul 16, 2015 – VP, HR

Thank you for sharing your comments. While I can't speak to your specific situation, I can share that we regularly analyze our pay levels to ensure that we're competitive with the market and ... More

Pretty Great First Job

I have been working at Allianz Global Assistance full-time

Pros

This is my first job out of college and so far everything seems to be going smoothly. I think a lot of this has to do with a strong compatibility with my manager and co-workers in my division. The work is fun and exactly aligns with my skill set. There are challenging problems that one must face everyday and think of inventive ways to solve them. The work-life balance is excellent and I have rarely needed to stay late to complete assignments.

Cons

Sometimes people do not read their emails carefully or look at files carefully before claiming that someone else made a mistake. There are a decent amount of managers who do not know how to type properly or use excel in an efficient manner which causes delays. I know these people don't use excel all the time as a part of their job, but at least be more competent with the software.

Advice to Management

Require all employees to participate in job shadowing in other parts of the company for half a day, especially listening into call center calls. Do some due diligence when it comes to how long someone supposedly needs to complete a task. It may be that I am wrong, but there are lots of times where people claim they need an extended amount of time to do something and I'm thinking there is no way they could possibly take that long. Give more access to file locations across divisions. Often times I will have to email one or two people to get a file I need because I don't have permission to view it despite the fact that it falls under something that I need to look at not all the time, but a lot of the time.

RSS Feed </> Embed