Allianz Global Investors

www.allianzglobalinvestors.com

Allianz Global Investors Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014
Allianz Global Investors – San Diego – “Office of Allianz Global Investors”

Allianz Global Investors CEO Elizabeth Corley

Elizabeth Corley

Internship

Retail Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosawesome culture, on the job training and great growth potential

Consjob placement is up to management so you could end up in a different department than what you desire

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Overall good company if you're not driven by salary

ProsThe people are great, there are advancement opportunities, the management is fair in areas they can control, the work is very interesting.

ConsThe hiring salary is fair. But the increases, especially for promotions, are CRAP. Sometimes, they don't give any salary adjustment for upward movement/transfers. Many disgruntled transfers because you don't learn about the salary adjustment or lack thereof, until AFTER you've already expressed interest in a position. How does it look if you turn it down because of the little/no money after you've sold yourself on being excited to join the new team? Then, because we are all told not to discuss salary with peers, the cycle continues.
    I feel bad for all the people I've seen move jobs excited about a higher level position only to see them disappointed to learn of the very small promotion increase in salary. This needs to be fixed.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider having a salary range when posting positions. Consider explaining the salary restrictions PRIOR to interviews or informal discussions with potential candidates.
    Upward promotions & transfers should be compensated more than 3-4%. They should be more in the 8-15% range.

Low pay, little room for growth

Analyst (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsGreat employee benefits, great office location.

ConsPay is below industry standards, not enough room for growth

Advice to Senior Managementhave more comprehensive performance to pay correlation

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working environment has deteriorated.

Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmart people who used to care about the work being done.

ConsSince the company started managing everything from the global headquarters the region has lost functionality, reduced the quality of output, and discouraged independent thinking. Regional offices have little control over anything now and employee morale is at an all time low in all the years I've been there. Everyone has given up, and is just punching a clock in and out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive regions more say, empower employees - listen to them instead of mandating change from the top down in spite of them.

Previously worked at Nicholas Applegate. Was Awesome. Now Allianz (AGIC) has taken turn for the worse.

Operations Associate (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Very elite firm. Class A office space high in the sky of San Diego. (Floors 29-34)
    - Lots of excellent and valuable people here. (but many just got laid off recently)
    - Very high tenure (many people had stayed for 10+ yrs... some 20+)
    - Good pay. Maybe not top pay, but not lousy either.
    - Excellent benefits all around.

Cons- Big wigs of upper Management don't understand the value of their people. They outsourced their best of the best in class Operations group. That was a poor decision.
    - They don't pay for employee parking on site. $190/mo. Like seriously wtf?
    - When it was Nicholas Applegate, there were a lot of great things to say about this company when Marna Whittington was the CEO. She was supremely top class. New senior management has come in and done the tired old cliche of "re-organizing" a great (and highly profitable btw) operation.

Advice to Senior Management#1 - You shouldn't have moved Ops. Major fail. Seriously.

#2 - You are gonna lose / let go the rest of your awesome people if you continue to make decisions on paper instead of from a balanced perspective about the value of people and the knowledge / experience / effort / excellence that was put forth over many years. The chatter around the office is not positive at the moment, even from some people that were very positive and motivated previously.

Very active, but limited expansion.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits, great location (San Diego), great work life balance. The company does a great job at giving all the resources and learning opportunities to employees. The office is full of very capable and intelligent employees.

ConsLimited mobility as the company is somewhat top heavy. Many managers due to expansion and contraction over the years. The stress level of the office, obviously, ebbs and flows with the tides of the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a looming threat that decisions are made from HQ overseas independent of the activity of the SoCal office(s). Employees feel they are helpless in their career control.

Great time as an intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood enough that i went back for a second summer of work

Conssometimes there wasnt too much to do other than sit on my hands

Too many managers patting each other on each others backs for having a great meeting(especially among AGI).

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary, medical benefits, coworkers, locations, vacation allowance

Cons50/50 of good and bad mangers.
    Procedures and decision making are inefficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

AGI

ProsThere is a strong product line up

Consthe organization has terrible communication across departments

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay attention to what the underlings are saying and focus on better management

Company ruined by merger

Marketing Support (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSome good people work there, benefits and pay are good.

ConsAllianz purchased Oppenheimer Capital in New York, NFJ in Dallas, and Nicholas-Applegate in San Diego and merged them together. After the CEO from New York took over, the company went right downhill. People were indiscriminately laid off, despite performance. Financial products with excellent performance were closed, while products that haven't beat their benchmark in months were kept open. It was very obvious that the CEO wanted to protect jobs in New York, and sacrifice everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CEO, let the parent company take over.

Worked for Allianz Global Investors? Contribute to the Community!