Allianz Life Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
93 reviews filtered by
Allianz Life President & CEO Walter White
Walter White

Pros
  • Allianz also has great benefits (in 7 reviews)

• The work environment was nice too (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, not easy to move up, a lot of politics (in 3 reviews)

• Can sometimes feel like middle management treats you like children (in 3 reviews)

1. Review of Allianz Life Company

Former Employee - Director Human Resources in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Director Human Resources in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Allianz Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional, high quality, productive, charitable organization. Numerous internal practices and programs that engaged and provided professional resources to employees

Cons

Annuity focus makes it market sensitive when interest and returns are low. Overhead wedded to Allianz of America, making it easier for low return companies to defund HR.

Keep up leadership development, career development, charitable, and employee development opportunities. Double down on the Fortune Best Company to Work for successes you have had.

2. Operations Associate

Current Employee - Operations Associate in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Associate in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Allianz Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

No weekends or holidays. Decent starting pay. Great cafe that allows you to use your badge to pay and it comes right out of your paycheck.

Cons

In the call center most upper management treats employees like they are the gum stuck on their shoe. They're very snobby and unwilling to negotiate when needed. I was having a lot of problems with daycare and they wouldn't even let me move my shift a half hour earlier for only two weeks until my mom retired and could watch my daughter. My husband ended up having to give up his job since it paid less so he could watch our daughter and start job searching until my mom retired.

You talk all the time about change and how it is a good thing and wanting to make the company better but whenever someone gives examples of what we could do to improve the call center environment it is looked at as though what we are suggesting is impossible. Make yourselves more approachable. Care about your employees and do not act as if you are better than they are.

3. Sr Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Allianz Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employee training. Promoted within. Top level management have a vision and follow through with commitments.

Cons

Long hours. Too much blaming of other groups. Our team meetings always included the topic "Even if it's not our fault, we are going to get blamed if something goes wrong. What can we do ..."

5. Need to be connected

I worked at Allianz Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company benefits - 401k match was 7 %, home office is beautiful, good base salary. Home office has many employee related functions and strongly supports a healthy lifestyle.

Cons

Need to be part of 'good ole boy network' to get ahead. Very long interviewing process - 3 months long. Human resources seems to go a little overboard. Women are not treated fairly and very few will make it to senior manager levels.

6. Boys club, no accountability and red tape paralysis

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allianz Life full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Blah blah blah benefits are on par with other companies but nothing that stands out. It's all smoke and mirrors. Run before you get suckered into this nightmare.

Cons

Allianz like to toot innovation but it's far from that. Red tape and Washington D.C. like protocols are common place here. Large projects get started but at the end, what you get is a substandard product that doesn't meet a fragment of business need for twice the money (i.e. Operation Impact, Front Office, ALIP, web overhaul) all thanks to many layers of management, lack of mutual respect, no clear decision maker (read: too many cooks), and incompetent/lazy technology resources (mostly management and "senior" staff).

If you are a project manager, run run run. They will not give you tools and resources you need to be successful. You'll merely be a scape goat for middle managements and before you know it, you will get fired.

Fire all of your middle management as they are your biggest obstacle to success. P.S. You are way overdue for an another massive IT dept. lay-off. This time, start from the top.

Great employer, but heavy on politics

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Allianz Life full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, willing to grow employee skills, excellent time off policies, and depending on the department the leadership can be good.

Cons

Pay is not at market for this type of position, lot of politics to deal with, some areas have very poor management and leadership

Cut the politics and pay attention to your people

8. Worst Place I ever worked

I worked at Allianz Life full-time

Pros

Nice building, decent benefits and employer match, frequent casual days

Cons

1) Politics are the worst I have ever experienced. Decisions that are easily made by front line employees get steadily escalated to the 'leadership' and made without context of department goals and constraints. Middle management is consistently looking for ways to tout their accomplishments at the expense of their departments and morale. Very little collaboration between groups despite the possibility improvements in decision making. If you like working in fiefdoms you will like it here. 2) Technology was not very impressive and the place runs on Excel spreadsheets with no thought put towards building a data warehouse. 3) Fear is the primary motivator as a management style. Seems ridiculous to threaten to fire people day in and day out. Does not help morale or collaboration. People will grow tired and just leave for greener pastures 4) Micromanagers - be ready to be told what to do and how to do it. Everyday. Feedback is not looked highly upon. You will be ignored or scolded for presenting an opposing idea or alternative approach. If you can handle a military style where you are not given authority to make any type of decision you will thrive here.

Make sure that middle management are capable leaders and people managers. Not just technically competent in a niche area and give them broad responsibilities that are out of their expertise. Communicate more thoroughly and make sure it reaches the front line employees. Too often we are left in the dark on what is coming next and spend everyday completing fire drills that don't seem to forward the company's objectives.

Great place to work ONLY IF you are NOT a call center employee!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Allianz Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Accrual of vacation days add up fast after the first 5 years, then after 10 yrs!
    *Great benefits
    *Beautiful facilities
    *Great 401k and IRA match
    *Tuition reimbursement
    *Annual recognition party

Cons

*Difficult to get time off if you are a call center employee
    *Difficult to move out of call center even if you have an advanced degree
    *Promotions seem to be based on "who you know" and not "what you know"
    *If an employee has to leave to take care of a sick child, or they themselves are sick, they get an "occurrence" or "incident". Other employees outside of call center DON'T get this treatment! Managers don't seem to get this treatment either!

*Management says they have career development programs, but they don't work, especially when you are in the call center and you are prevented from participating in them since our department is "too busy" to allow us to participate.
    *Please plan a specific program for call center employees to get mentors and find out how they can use their degrees/education in other parts of the company
    *Look at your management team. Some of them leave early a lot for petty reasons. If one of their call center employees need to leave for an emergency or are even 1 or 2 minutes late, they get disciplined! Stop the double-standards!
    *Stop the micro-management! We are not Kindergartners!

Good benefits, challenging environment

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Allianz Life

Pros

Great facilities, good benefits, and a genuine commitment to volunteer work. Relatively stable. They are a leader in the products they offer.

Cons

Very political. Too much reliance on contractors to perform core functions and support. Relatively low employee turnover limits advancement opportunities.

Improve the employee/contractor ratio.

Great Company

I have been working at Allianz Life

Pros

positive and motivating work environment, room for professional development, good support system

Cons

very few cons. compensation is fair, company politics are minimal