Allied Integrated Marketing

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph H O'Donnell

Pros
  • Get to see free movies, and learn about publicity(in 19 reviews)

• Assignments are fun and so is managing advanced movie screenings(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Oh, and your office hours are UNPAID(in 3 reviews)

• I mostly did lot of cold calling while I was there(in 2 reviews)

Amazing place to work with amazing people

Intern (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsWork here if you want an amazing office environment surrounded by amazing individuals who always offer support. You get to plan, coordinate, and execute field directives for major motion picture studios, meet and work with world renown talent, and the job is FUN.

ConsLimited options for growth unless you're willing to move across the country as the offices are small at each of the company's locations. I was an intern, but I know that pay is not the best for the amount of work that staff has to handle, though that is customary for entry level positions in this field. Sometimes the office can be a little too casual, and lines are blurred.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to be more upfront with their team regarding possible promotions and what is expected of them.

A realistic and challenging internship

Studio (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsOpportunity to have ownership of projects, even as an intern; Great pay from studios; Excellent location; People who work there are very friendly and always willing to help each other

ConsDifficult to balance internship with classes/other job if it is a busy release time for your studio; If you do not like cold calling, this position is not for you

Fun work for what it is

Screening Monitor (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsPro: get to do fun work with big films and I loved the management I worked with

ConsCon: not enough pay, no upward mobility

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Educating and learning in a very supportive environment.

Publicity and Promotions Intern (Former Employee) Bloomfield Hills, MI

Proshands on experience
    direct promotions and grassroots marketing contribution
    opportunity to work for major household names and film studios
    field marketing promotions experience
    direct market analysis of product interaction (film screenings)

Consmundane work load
    monotonous projects
    repetitive but necessary work procedures

Good experience but ridiculous workload for an intern

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Work on exciting entertainment projects
    - Cool office in an exciting location
    - Most staff are very nice, courteous, and fun
    - Well-known company with offices worldwide

Cons-Very high workload for an intern. At times it felt like we were being used to cover the work that a full-time staff member would be doing.
    -Very bad at internal communication and explaining tasks to interns. They just expect you to know everything.
    - Some staff members are rude and look down on you for being an intern (even though you're doing a ton of their work).
    - Street parking in Hollywood.....a nightmare
    - Keep extending internships with the promise of a full-time job but never follow-up. A lot of their work is produced by an ever revolving door of low paid interns.

Advice to Senior Management-Have a more organized internship program. Don't expect 20-year old interns to produce work of the same quality as professionals with 20+ years of experience.

- Don't promise interns a full-time job opportunity and then fire them without notice. There is a difference between interning and exploitation.

San Francisco-Allied THA Internship Experience

Walt Disney Studios Intern (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIf you are enthusiastic about the film industry and entertainment business, this is an excellent internship for you! I personally love all things movie-related (especially Disney) and I believe that my passion is why I was assigned on the Disney account. During my summer at Allied, I got to work on really cool projects and got to see how Disney makes its movies blockbuster successes. I also was fortunate enough to be asked to work on projects for other studios including the Weinstein Company and Warner Brothers.

As an Allied-THA intern (as with every internship), you get out what you put in. I made this internship my priority and volunteered when help was needed, offered my ideas to various individuals and communicated as much as possible. At Allied, great work and enthusiasm is rewarded with opportunities. During my internship, I got to work at three movie junkets (including one at Pixar), a red carpet premier and many other really exciting media events. I also got to assist in running countless screenings and helped compile client reports, helped with media relations and organized and executed many promotional events. I personally saw that interns who did not put in the effort did not get included in these types of events.

Something you will definitely get at this internship is a learning experience and an excellent company culture. Allied is such a fun place to work where they value a hard work in a casual environment. All the coordinators and publicists are always willing to teach you new skills and help you in any way. They are busy people, so it is on you to reach out to them, but it is absolutely worth it.

What I learned at Allied has been invaluable in my other internships. In every interview, I always talk about my Allied experience. I gained skills and insights that are so important if you want to enter the entertainment industry, but are so applicable to any communications/marketing/PR job. If you want to have a fun summer and learn a lot, this is an excellent internship.

PS. The free movie tickets and swag are pretty awesome too!

ConsLike any entry level job or internship, there are going is going to be entry-level work to be done. Because this internship is in the entertainment promotions field, there is a lot of organizing, research and media reach out/recruiting to make their promotions and events happen. I think a common misconception is that only interns do this work, but I personally have sat with other coordinators and publicists and watched them do the same work that I was doing. Sometimes menial tasks have to be done and it often falls on the interns to complete this work. Not every day is filled with media events and junkets, so it is important to know that some less-glamorous and sometimes boring tasks are involved in this job.

The only other Con with this internship is the pay. Because you are paid by the studio on a stipend, it is not very much. However in my experience, entertainment internships rarely pay well because you are being rewarded with invaluable experience and a foot in the door of a very insulated industry. If you cannot afford to have a stipend internship, this may not be a match for you.

Not bad, not great

Marketing (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosnice people, nice office, good work/life balance

Consonly con is that pay could be higher

Advice to Senior Managementconsider raising wages to improve employee retention

Great internship!

Paramount Accounts Intern (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe Atlanta office is is full of fun people and you get the chance to work on some great projects! The movies you work on constantly change so if you don't like one, you know you're moving on to another one soon. The premieres were a lot of fun and the major events (celebrity appearances, etc. ) will make you the envy of all of your friends!

ConsThere was a lot of cold-calling associated with the internship. You would reach out to companies trying to partner with them or give them tickets to give away. Some people were receptive, but most thought there was a catch or that you were trying to sell them something.

Screening Representative

Pros--got to see free movies in advance
    --easy work, easy money
    --paid per event
    --good marketing opportunity

Cons--they have to many employees, makes it hard to get showings
    -- having to deal with high pressure situations, showings are often over booked

Great internship experience

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros-Worked with manager and group of Interns producing campaign material for upcoming films
    -Fun work enviorment
    -paid depending on client, paid for side-jobs/promotions

ConsNot much room to grow as an intern.
    Clique-type management team hard to feel like you completely "fit-in."

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to interns and understand their devoting their time to you so treat them with utmost respect.

Worked for Allied Integrated Marketing? Contribute to the Community!