Allied Irish Banks

Updated November 11, 2014
2.3

Allied Irish Banks CEO David Duffy
David Duffy

It was once a good bank to work for.

I have been working at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A positive attitude will help you get far because relationships are important at this place. People are great as well as the benefits, great work/life balance.

Cons

No bonuses, raises or promotions for too many years. You can't expect a person to survive on the same salary without feeling the fiber that holds the organization together start to unravel.

There has to be more compensation/title change to motivate your employees.

Pleasant

I have been working at Allied Irish Banks

Pros

reasonable hours, great people, open communication, good benefits

Cons

progression freeze at the moment

resume progression

Credit Analyst at AIB

I have been working at Allied Irish Banks

Pros

Great work environemnt and very committed upper management. Not too challenging and work hours are not long. Rarely do we work on the weekends.

Cons

Almost no promotions. Difficult to change positions within the firm especially now. Currently no promotions of salary increases. Hard to see a future.

I think that if an employee deserves a poromotion he/she should be enttiled to it. People aren't going to stay at AIB once the job market opens up.

A very challenging place to work - fit in or move aside

Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some very good people, quite considerate when you need support, good location

Cons

Poor attitude to staff coming in through merger with another company. More focussed on meetings and talking than doing. Too much money spent on external consultancy instead of tapping into the knowledge and talent in house

Really look at your people, promote on the basis of fairness, be positive.

All talk no action

Current Employee - Bank Official in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Bank Official in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

made some life long friends

Cons

poor salary
    little career advancement
    no perks
    management have little or no interpersonal skills

clean slate, give those who have earned the limited opportunities available on merit and not on favouritism

Interesting, but unfulfilling.

I have been working at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Collaborative spirit, ample support and great communication unique to the department I work for.

Cons

Poor communication and collaboration from other departments. Too much red tape and a lack of decision making. Management speak used unnecessarily and carelessly, and too much! Compliance, don't get me started......

Positive experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible working options and positive working environment

Cons

Not many promotional opportunities available

Good compensation and benefits, bad morale/attitude towards work

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Allied Irish Banks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked the people I was working and my direct supervisors were incredibly smart and capable. There were certain aspects of the job that I liked and there certainly seemed to be plenty of training opportunities and potential for advancement.

Cons

The whole company culture just seemed destructive to me, no doubt due to what had happened in years gone by. It felt like a lot of the work we were doing wasn't actually that valuable and we were just doing it to be seen to be busy. The senior manager of our department was completely clueless as well and pretty much summed up everything that's wrong with Irish banking culture.

Office and company culture needs to be totally changed, either through removing old hierarchical structures or some other way.

If you still work here - leave now! I promise things will get so much better!

Former Employee - Bank Official in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Bank Official in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro i can think of is the friends I made there. We were united in our misery. That being said, when I meet up with friends who still work for the company, It saddens me to see them so upset and beaten down working for such a place.

Cons

Where to start...Honestly every facet of the structure is flawed. If blame rolls down hill, then the hardworking "front line" staff are drowning in it. The way the staff (by "staff" I mean members of the branch I worked in who were not upper management) are treated is appalling. My old branch (It rhymes with moconnell meet) had the worst HR manager I have ever had the displeasure of coming across in my life. Personal vendettas were used on a daily basis to berate, belittle and demean unfortunate members of staff to which she had taken a dislike. Why not complain?? My colleagues did, on mass, and nothing happened.
    There is also a culture of people pulling endless sickies, no ownership of work tasks and a bloated lower management that have zero training and zero clue ow to run a small business, let alone a bank.

Commit Seppuku on live TV.

Don't waste 10 years like I did, toxic culture, soul destroying work environment, a Draconian boys Club!!

Former Employee - Bank Official/Personal Relationship Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Allied Irish Banks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The only pro of working in AIB was the friends I made. We kept each other going through the rough times.

Cons

1. Company Structure - I was working in branch banking where you went in at entry level as a Bank Official and in order to progress to the next level which is known as Officer Grade you need to get promoted. Once you are an Officer you are considered a member of management and you can then climb up to Assistant Manager then Manager of various grades. This all sounds achievable to anyone who works hard towards whichever level they are capable of however the reality for most of my colleagues was very different. There are hundreds of bank officials in the network who have over 10 years experience, working roles such as SME Specialist, Business Relationship Managers, Personal Relationship Managers, Customer Service Supervisors, Foreign Exchange Supervisors, Mortgage Arrears Specialists and Mortgage Consultants who were never promoted and are still known as bank officials with a salary of buttons to match. AIB is returning to profitability on the backs of the poor souls left in branch banking. We used to call ourselves " The Ants in Dungeon of the Economy"
    2. Promotions - Time and time again we saw those who treated others like the bottom of their shoe promoted over worthy candidates. When someone who actually deserved a promotion got one it was a rare moment of joy.
    3. Redundancy's - deserving candidates of 30 years service and more overlooked in favour of those who made going on the sick their career so AIB chose to get rid of them with a golden handshake rather than punish them through the proper channels. There are still people on the sick who regularly post their lives on Social Media for all to see. Sack them !!! Everyone knows who they are.
    4. Culture - you could only imagine the culture that results from the points mentioned above. Soul destroying misery.
    5. Lunches - AIB top brass decide that the minions in branch banking no longer deserve an hour lunch and slash it in half just like that. People need that hour to recharge, to feel normal, to have a chat, to confide in a friend and sometimes to cry and dry yourself off. I promised myself that day going back down the stairs from the canteen with my lunch still in my teeth that enough was enough. I deserve better than this.

To conclude It was the best decision I ever made. I only wish I hadn't wasted 10 years on them. If your still in AIB don't be afraid to jump.I had a job within a fortnight. The one good thing about being ex AIB is that other companys know we are able for anything.

I couldn't be bothered you never listen.

Allied Irish Banks Photos