Allied Telesis
www.alliedtelesis.com Bothell, WA 150 to 499 Employees

Allied Telesis Reviews in San Jose, CA

Allied Telesis Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Allied Telesis K.K. Takayoshi Oshima

Takayoshi Oshima

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company if you have a diverse personality

Strategic Sales/Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allied Telesis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, strong engineering, CEO is involved in a lot of sales efforts, willing to invest, CEO wants to have a great company, not just make money.

ConsA lot of leadership. Too much leadership, as in many captains and not enough crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower someone to lead.

Hostile environment

I worked at Allied Telesis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours, close to restaurants, people are loyal and dedicated

ConsDepressed working conditions, no raises, no performance reviews, employees hanging on to past performances, morale needs attention, carrot-dangling outlook, on investment in employees, lack of management support, hanging on by a thread, yelling culture

Advice to Senior Managementinvest in your employees - they are dedicated and loyal, get management some training, how about raises?

Engineer

I worked at Allied Telesis full-time

ProsApparently None.
They had a pretty big parking space though

ConsUncountable, Lowest salary for networking equipment developwer.
Pathetic management

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get some management classes.
Best is to resign on moral grounds

Associate Product Marketing Manager

Associate Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA

I have been working at Allied Telesis full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great opportunity to learn about technology and application of that in different industies
- Like startups, we have a chance to be proactive, and improve processes and systems
- Wonderful atmosphere, and cooperation from employees and departments throughout the globe
- Benefits above average
- Work and life integration Vs. Work and Life Balance: I might need to work some evenings and some weekends depending on the project, but have flexibility in case I need some time during the day.

Cons- There is room for improvement in compensation based on market
- Quarterly, instead of yearly, reviews

Advice to Senior ManagementQuarterly reviews
Compensation based on market

Abyssmal Management, Limited Market Future, Poor Environment

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Allied Telesis full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLocation in Silicon Valley is good, and the company has a strong product history.

ConsAllied Telesis has been on a downhill slide since the company decided to try and compete against big, successful firms like Cisco in what they call the "solutions" market. Instead of sticking to what it did well, which was deliver great networking products, it is trying to change the entire culture and value proposition of the company and is getting away from what it does well.

Organizationally, there are frequent changes, putting people into jobs they don't know how to do and aren't qualified for. Management is incompetent, insensitive, and inexperienced for what they are doing. The Chairman is the only voice that matters in the company, and his opinions are outdated and unrealistic. You cannot do in the USA or Europe what you do in Japan, but he fails to understand that reality.

The environment is deadly, with poor benefits, limited management guidance, and frequent change/chaos. I have worked there for a few years in mid-level management, and I actually was turned down for another job specifically because I was working at Allied Telesis--the company has a terrible reputation as a difficult place to work with limited relevance to the real tech world. It's not too bad for lower-level technicians, but it's no place for a qualified manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a real president who knows how to turn around a failing company and make something of a legacy business. Get rid of the management trying to monkey-wrench the company into a solutions market already crowded with bigger, more successful players. Return to focusing on delivering high-quality products instead of turnkey solutions. Have the Chairman retire to a window seat, because his opinions have become archaic.

Shadow of former self, Lack of management, Sales suffering

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Allied Telesis full-time

ProsBrand reputation for reliability and good price. Loyal customer base which keeps the company afloat. Financially stable thanks to Japan market. Note: this is a Japanese company, founded and run by an industry veteran. However the remainder of this review will focus on North America (NA) business which is owned by the Japanese holdings Co but managed independantly (at least until recently). There is opportunity here. Someone looking to try something new, perhaps reinvent themselves, and has the fortitude to handle the lack of structure, ok with poor comp plan and no perf reviews.

ConsDysfunctional Executive team. Widespread poor morale, lack of communication. Lots of undermining and backbiting in semi- hostile environment. Unable to develop any long term strategic plan. Sales are in deep decline and top performers have all exited. IT dept awol, with heads in the sand and no business partnership. Whats left are industry dinosaurs lacking motivation or innovative ideas. There are some college grad newbies and people looking to enhance resumes, but no loyalty ready to jump ship. The founder has taken a more active role in day to day operations in the last year to try and improve things but he is an engineer by trade, NOT a business manager. The result is constant re-organizations, operational vacuums, lack of cogent business plan, and fear / chaos rules the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew Executive team. Restructure. You got the new building. Now its time for new contents.

Pathetic place to work with no vision and management

I worked at Allied Telesis

ProsThere is Friday morning breakfast...
There are raffles couple of time a year where you may win an ipad...
A lot of parking space..

ConsNo appreciation of work, forget bonus not even in words
Less knowledgeable middle layer
Working conditions are bad and getting worse
No vision moving forward

Advice to Senior ManagementRead some management books
Appreciate those who matters and are doing something for the company
Have a better vision of where you want to go in future

A really stagnant place to work at

I have been working at Allied Telesis

ProsYou can take time off anytime without anyone micromanaging your schedule.

ConsNo opportunities to grow. Raises are rarely given because there are no metrics or appraisals happening. Too much red tape. Morale of each team are on a big time low.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees. Do performance appraisals regularly. There are people there who have been working for the company for ten years and have not gotten any significant appraisals since then.

OK

I worked at Allied Telesis

ProsGreat for slacking and doing nothing

ConsNo management at all, no direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave!

Look elsewhere. This is the right place if you do not care about your future or how you are treated.

I worked at Allied Telesis

ProsGood if you only care about work/family life balance. if you truly care about your career and future this is not the place for you.

Cons401K program is awful - they are consistently late with their small contribution, benefits are horrible, They have 1 incompetent HR person who has been there too long, they do not give employee reviews unless it is an issue that needs to be addressed. If a review is given it will be negative and because they want to get rid of you. Raises - not happening. There are employees here that have not had a raise in 10+years - shame on them for sticking around. Poor leadership! They have no CFO. The finance dept is being run by their "Chief Controller" who passes himself off as Japanese when he is actually Korean. The President at one time worked in logistics as a scanner. He is a friend of the owner. Rumor has it the Chief Controller wants to move to financial operations to Japan and then move to Japan himself. This is the worst company in Silicon valley bar none. This company recycles employees like I have never seen before. You get fired and in a few years they will rehire you only to can you again - makes no sense! we NEVER have all hands meetings - employees are in the dark.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owner need to hire a true CFO and let that person run the organization rather than hiring people he can manipulate. The owner is an engineer and has NO IDEA on how to run company unless it is running it in the ground. The current executives should take a look in the mirror and quit.

Worked for Allied Telesis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Allied Telesis reviews and ratings in San Jose, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Allied Telesis CEO Takayoshi Oshima. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Allied Telesis employees.