Allied Wire & Cable

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
1.9

CEO

It's what you make of it... I'm happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I guess I was worried after reading the previous reviews before being hired, but I'm happy here. I have been employed for just a little while in the company's PA office and I am pretty satisfied. My co-workers are all very nice, and the office is pretty upbeat and lively.

This is a job where you have to bust your butt. You can really make a good living with Allied but you need to put the time in. You can't expect to just mail it in at this job or you will drown. Get through the first year or so and you should be well on your way. I guess what I'm saying is that if you have a lot of drive you can really do well here.

They have occasional company outings that are nice and the employees band together for different activities after hours and at lunch. The dress code is very laid back, and time off is almost always granted when needed. They want you to work hard, but they are very understanding when it comes to family.

Cons

Their benefits are kinda expensive, but they have them. Would like to see them offer more vacation time as you advance with the company to motivate you to stay. A lot of the employees say that plays a big factor in retention.

Overall I am happy at AWC. If anything could be better I'd like to see them offer employees more vacation after a certain number of years with the company.

dont even think of working here

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (less than an year)

Pros

locations, products, people are friendly

Cons

this is the most convoluted compensation plan I have ever seen. I have nearly 20 years in electrical distribution, yet I was told I would come to allied as a "rookie" and be paid 35K a year. There is no room for negotion. Commission was paid but only after the first 15K per month, In the wire and cable business at 10 percent margins, thats 150k per month in sales before commision kicks in, provided they didnt find a reason to split you GP credit with the house or another sales person. My experience, You can find a much better job, this was basically a telemarketing house. Minimum requirement of 60 outgoing dials a day. Customers calling in to you did not count, only cold calls out, towards your dial count.

compensate professionals at least to the levels of the other distributors and maybe you could attract some decent talent, that would stay longer than a week!

Look for a better job you can do a lot better

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable

Pros

Great warehouse employes can listen to music while you work you get two 15min breaks and a 30min lunch

Cons

Hot in the summer cold in the winter managers treat you like bad don't care what you have to say managers see what they wanna see employes come to work high and nothing is said about it they look for reasons to fire people like just putting their phone away but will let other talk on theirs and only make them turn it in when they show up every day

Replace the management

This is how you define "Dead end job".

Former Employee - Spooler in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Spooler in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time

Pros

Co-workers were great, but I'm not referring to management. Owners are great guys and down to earth but you don't report to them so tough luck. I loved the schedule because it allowed me to work from crack of dawn (5:00 am) to 1:30pm and enjoy the rest of the day. It was the best part of the job period.

Cons

Management, or lack thereof. When I tell you I worked there for about 5 years and got 1 raise, you know there is an issue. Especially if you are referred to by supervisors as one of the top employees of the place. Forget about promotions. They don't happen. Instead they hire from outside.

These days I am a professional, educated, competent, business person who uses these skills for the benefit and prosperity of those who pay for it. When I worked at Allied and I wanted to provide this advice the opportunity was never offered and when I volunteered it I never heard back from them either. Therefore i have no words to waste anymore.

Look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Employee in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Employee in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the employees are some of the best people you will ever meet. very friendly!

Cons

Managment has no clue what their doing. You basically come in every morning hoping someone doesnt find something to bug you about or yell at you. There is no outside life with very limited vacation time and non flexible schedule. This place also runs like a high school with the amount of gossip that goes around.

Respect your employees

Don't work here

Current Employee - Warehouse in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of good people in the warehouse that know what they are doing good starting pay good hours .

Cons

Management always belittles the warehouse workers no room to move up in the company alway told you could be replaced in a heartbeat

Treat the workers better give raises to worker who can do more then just one job

Run Away

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time

Pros

great employees in lower level positions.

Cons

the warehouse management here is always coming up with and imposing new and ever growing ridicules rules and policies. hardly ever taking the "valued opinions" of lower employees even on issues of safety even after several sever employee accidents resulting in serious lose of time. they are more concerned about punishing people for stupid things. there motto seems to be if a new hire doesn't know something fire them even if they were not trained properly to do there job and ignored when asking for help learning. everyone is constantly in a state of pointless stress because of management in a job that is simple and should be stress free. Some of the managers can't leave personal matters at home and come in almost daily with a terrible attitude and then fly off the handle over issues that are not worth people getting yelled at, sent home,suspended or/ terminated (some times all of the above)

stop going out of your way to find problems to punish people for. if you have a fight with your wife at home, leave it at home. you need to understand that respect is not given it is earned and treating people below you like they are all stupid and useless is wrong. treat them like people and stop reminding them how easily replaced they are.

Awesome place to work if you are a male...

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable full-time

Pros

-Full time employment
    -Ok pay scale
    -The fact that it was a job at the time

Cons

-Works on a "Good Ole' Boy" network
    -Little opportunity for advancement unless upper management happens to like you
    -Not too keen on the idea of female leadership if you are not employed in their office

Management is a minus at this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable

Pros

A great place to come in at entry-level, gain some experience, and use as a stepping stone to a better opportunity. Best for independent thinkers who can self-motivate and figure out how to side-step restrictive policies. Company supports a lot of perks for salesmen to offer customers to incentivize buying: sports tickets, gift cards, etc.

Cons

Management is stuck in the 1950s in terms of political correctness. Expect to be offended if you are not a white straight male. Sales management prefers intimidation to motivation. Sales goals and achievement tiers are changed at a moment's notice, no recourse. Salesman commissions are split with the house at every opportunity.

It would benefit this organization to invest in professional management training as well as cultural sensitivity training for it's management staff in all departments, and owners.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable

Pros

Allied is growing so I can see that there is some growing pains in much of the infrastructure, but I think it is all good. Managers want ideas from all of the employees, they encourage us to put in suggestions, not just complain when things could be done a better way.
    The senior management is very family friendly and is genuine in supporting people who need time when things come up in our daily life.
    Casual work environment, lots of employee activities.
    Accountability is key, take the oppotunity to own your work if you do great or make a mistake.

Cons

The growth can be hard to handle for anyone who wants to just punch a clock every day, not for those who want to coast.
    Need to add more staff to handle the growth in every department.
    Benefits are good but the cost is too much for me to afford, need a better deal and have the company give more to each employee for insurance.

As the company grows, the changes that need to happen may not be so obvious to those who have been here for a long time. Bring in some fresh eyes to assess the processes for each department to get in tune with even more growth.

Allied Wire & Cable Photos