AlliedBarton

www.alliedbarton.com

AlliedBarton Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 4, 2014

AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.

Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Allied Barton customers are the best, easy work(in 19 reviews)

• work perks, decent pay, all over the nation(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Account Managers and employees are frequently thrown under the bus to save a contract(in 37 reviews)

• Operations managers, not much room for advancement the harassment recieved over and over again(in 9 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very large, decent company

Security Officer/Receptionist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood account managers. They work with their employees and communicate with them well.

Good pay for CLEARED supervisors and receptionists.

Overtime is available for most accounts.

Yearly raises.

On the job training.

ConsUgly, old-fashioned uniforms.

Low pay for uncleared accounts, which results in low quality employees and high turnover.

Benefits are minimum and not great.

Lack of trust between management and employees because of low-quality employee mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay just a bit so you can hire some good quality employees and reduce turnover.

Offer some better benefits, like more vacation time and higher quality health insurance.

Collect and consider some suggestions from lower level employees.

Same as the rest

Account Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFrom a Managers point of view in the Boston area:
    - Pay is fair. Essentially the same as other Contract companies but definitely not the lowest
    - Due to turnover there is a pretty high availability of jobs so lateral moves are easy and slightly higher paying accounts will open up.
    - District Managers are good, supportive and knowledgeable

Cons- Regional staff is ruthless and intractable. Makes decisions without evaluating the impact on accounts. For example every contract is signed with 16 hours training available for the officer. Regional office requires CPR/1st aid plus terrorism training and an on-boarding class for a total of 12 hours of training. That leaves only 4 hours to learn the job site. They also require the completion of a series of online and open book classes that mean officers are required to read while on post, thus not providing good security to the client.
    - Company at all levels is not loyal. Account Managers and employees are frequently thrown under the bus to save a contract. Not moved elsewhere, actually fired whether they are guilty or not, even when its just a personality conflict.
    - Regional and District offices do not understand that they are support departments. Their constant meddling makes it near impossible for accounts to run smoothly. Thy also assign projects without stopping to consider the impact on field managers and line staff
    - Zero Account Managers have been promoted to a District position in the last 20 years
    - Nationwide transfers are near impossible to manage. Offices tend to support the local candidate regardless of the situation. (may or may not be bad...bad if you're the one trying to transfer)

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking care of your managers. Realize that without them and the line associates you are unemployed. Understand that your job is to set direction and tone, not dominate the lives of your underlings.

Mismanaged

Security Officer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe work is easy, the guests and tenants are generally easy going. Pay is great for the work.

ConsThe management is awful. They are vindictive and would rather you quit than transfer to another site. And you'll never get a promotion. Any time a position is open they hire from the outside and only publish an internal memo when they get no applicants.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop squandering tomorrow for the sake of today. Because every few months there's a massive brain drain of talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Security Officers are as important to upper level employees, high level clients, and cops as used toilet paper

Security Officer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood if your going to school
    Good if you need to learn social skills
    Hey beats being broke, in jail, or prison

ConsRead the title again
    The people we "secure" pay our company for a service, so what happens when they are the reason why things are not secure or safe...
    Will Allied Barton tell the client they are wrong, will upper management, how about lawyers?
    No its always the Security Guards fault, because that is what keeps the clients happy and the money flowing to (more educated and deserving pockets), so enjoy living in hypocrisy. Your about as important as used toilet paper, and the industry hopes you remain clueless to your plight.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou remain unforgiving, our plight not forgotten, and our fight to be expected... Security guards rise up and speak out!

Loyalty buys you nothing

Account Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIn the position of Account Manger there is of course a steady paycheck and the freedom to operate the site as you see fit (within guidlines of course). Essentially you are allowed to run the site your way so long as it is within the bounds of the contract. The company becomes then, a resource rather than a watchdog. That freedom was good.

The benefits are industry standard for Contract services. The Management plans were actually fairly good. The line officer offerrings were horific. So its a Pro if you are a manager and a con if you are not.

ConsAbsolutely no company loyalty towards anyone working in the field. The drawback to contract security companies is and always will be the fact that you are not important. You are a necassary evil and can be replaced by anyone they deem fit. After 9 years of loyalty to the company I was laid off for precisely 11 months and then rehired at a 30% reduction in pay and my benefits reset to zero. Isn't it interesting that the company standard is to reinstate employees to previous levels if they are rehired within a years time? After 1 year you start over. More fascinating is that I applied for equivalent positions 6 times in theat year and was never granted an interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementLine staff is important. Stop neglecting them! I left your company 2 years ago and remember exacltly how I was treated. Now you send sales force to my account to woo me? Really? Thanks for the free lunches but I need a provdor that treats it's employees humanely.

great job, management sucks

Concierge (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Proseasy job, room for adavancement

Consaccount managers come and go, hard to build a relationship, bureaucracy style of management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using your position of power to make the rules

Allied Barton's Copley Mall site is poorly run.

Security Officer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey can give out a full time work schedule so if you really need the money it is a steady source of income.

ConsThis site is one of the lowest paid sites in the region to spite being one of the sites that requires the most amount of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation for the security personal, and raise the hourly rate. If you do this performance should improve.

ABSS Experience

Account Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLarge, networked company with many available resources. This company is competitive and willing to go the extra mile to get what the clients wants AND needs.

ConsBeing as big of a company that AlliedBarton is can at times take away the attention a manager needs to give the client so that they can meet the satisfaction of the company.

Too Much Standing Without A Break

Security Officer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood pay. Easy work. Easy to move up ladder.

ConsLong hours involving standing still, no breaks. Supervisors don't speak English well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove officers around a bit. Standing still for 14+ hours with just a half hour break is terrible and probably unhealthy.

it could be better...

Security Officer/Receptionist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDepending on the location, its a very relaxed, professional setting. Also depending on your duties they make sure you get your breaks, sometimes the job consist on a lot of standing and they make sure you are well rested.

Consvery unfair on who gets what position. I and several other officers have been a float for six months where several full time positions i am available for has open and instead of offering the spot for us they hire someone brand new and train them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour floats are the best workers you have, they know how every position work. Make sure to that they feel appreciated for what they do.

Worked for AlliedBarton? Contribute to the Community!