AlliedBarton
www.alliedbarton.com Conshohocken, PA 5000+ Employees

AlliedBarton Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.

Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros:
  • "work perks, decent pay, all over the nation"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Allied Barton customers are the best, easy work"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's sad when the guards are smarter then the account managers"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Operations managers, not much room for advancement the harassment recieved over and over again"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not an enjoyable work experience

Major (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is nearly always available hours to work. Some of the people are good, dependable co workers

ConsUnpredictable and odd shifts, frequently called to work last minute. Little room for job growth. I was hired on as the "major", although I felt this was an honorary title as I rarely did anything remotely resembling that rank. 90% of the time I was a flex officer, going from site to site relieving others and covering posts for vacationing or sick officers. I spent an entire year being befuddled, as I always thought a major out ranked a captain, not vice versa. I spent so much money on gas driving to far flung posts while waiting to finally perform jobs equal to my rank that I eventually just had to resign. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone who wants to do anything other than stand or sit at a post and do nothing for 8 hours a day.

"Dare To Be Great" ... It's more like Striving for Mediocrity.

Baltimore, MD

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany does allow transfers to other locations and offices. Direct Deposit pay every two weeks. Free, online education courses and classes.

ConsMentoring and Leadership Development is virtually non-existent. I have witnessed "supervisors" who sleep on the job and are routinely late when reporting in for work. Expect low wages, unless you can get assigned to a Federal Contract. Most General Accounts have low wages. Poorly fitting and cheaply made, 100% polyester uniforms are an embarrassment. If you can fog up a mirror and pass a basic background check, you will be hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce the standards! Hold management accountable. Stop hiring irresponsible slugs who have no means of transportation or telephone communication. Fire the dirtbags who can not remain awake for their shift, don't just transfer them to another site. Account managers need to talk to their people and keep them informed.

I'm not satisfied working with this company. I have seen alot of discrepencies in this company and things that are wrong

Grave Shift Security Officer (Current Employee)
Hayward, CA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really don't have positive things to say to say, only that some of my co-workers are friendly and I get along with them well. My management have turned a blind eye to our work site.

ConsMy co-workers arrive late to work causing me inconvenience. No raises given to me in over 5 years of service.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease enforce the policy of officers arriving to work on time. I have been relieved, frequently, late.

It's just a job no long term goals

Security Officer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time for less than a year

ProsSteady work, ok accounts, good off days

Cons24 hour training without pay, Working lunch breaks, horrible account manager, some positions are outside in all weather conditions without proper equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to boost the officer spirits

A company that is interested in its bottom line and not providing quality jobs or opportunity for workers.

Scranton, PA

I have been working at AlliedBarton as a contractor for more than a year

Pros1. For many sites the company often puts effort into hiring good people.
2. The company provides informative online training programs in various aspects of security field work as well as the business aspect of security.
3. Given the nature of many of the companies accounts, it can be a good entry level company for people with little experience.
4. Transfer opportunities are available in and to many states in the lower 48.

Cons1. Low end pay for workers is brought on by severely underbidding contracts to get clients.
2. For many sites, on the job training hours are paid at or slightly above minimum wage regardless of the persons regular pay rate.
3. Horrific, down right pathetic benefits package.
4. Hard to keep good workers due to the poor pay scale and poor benefits.
5. Problems or issues with pay checks can often be a problem to get fixed.
6. Little room for advancement in local markets and transfers to other locations can be a difficult process due to poor communication between various account managers and regional home offices.
7. Lackluster and absent minded account managers combined with the companies need to over regulate and complicate simple things often limits the abilities of site supervisors to manage staff effectively.
8. Company equipment and uniforms provided are poor quality and when the items fall apart replacements take forever to be received.
9. The companies policies and standings regarding detainment of unlawful offenders often leaves workers at high risk sites vulnerable to actionable criminal and civil litigation with little or no assistance from the companies legal department.
10. It seems that officer safety is always a distant second to the profitability of an account.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because profits are good doesn't mean your company is on stable ground. Start biding contracts at better rates and start listening to the concerns of employees.

Not all there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AlliedBarton

ProsUniforms were in decent shape. Initially good contracts. Some co workers were pretty awesome.

ConsIncompetent management, payroll, and account managers. Most co workers were dregs or creeps who really had no business protecting anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake less advantage of people.

Good company...decent benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AlliedBarton

Proswork perks, decent pay, all over the nation

Consunfair hours, volatile coworkers, unprofessional ast some sites

It give me the experience to work with different job site and people I was not aware of.

Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time

ProsPublic Relations: Building new relationships with co-workers and the clients

ConsI wish not to make a downside comment on Allied Barton Security Services

Advice to Senior ManagementNo commemt

An excellent learning experience; however, a thankless job.

Public Safety Officer (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLearning how to deal with all types of people.
Developing experience in deescalating problems.

ConsThe contractor/client relationship places the company in compromising scenarios, especially in regards to the lower level employees.
The company overall does not offer admirable health insurance plans.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more about the employees because they are a reflection of management. If employees feel more appreciated then they will be more inclined to maximize their potential as workers and develop better attitudes towards their job.

good experience

New York, NY

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for less than a year

Prospretty good hours, decent benefits, a lot of employees so that you can switch hours and different shifts

Conslow rate of pay depending on the worksite although it rarely goes over 15 an hour

Advice to Senior Managementhigher pay

Worked for AlliedBarton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AlliedBarton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AlliedBarton CEO Bill Whitmore Jr. All 357 reviews posted anonymously by AlliedBarton employees.