AlliedBarton Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.8
AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Decent pay compared to other security companies (in 22 reviews)

• Current location is very easy work (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Most account managers don't really care about their employees (in 42 reviews)

• No room for advancement, pay grades (in 11 reviews)

1. Commission and Non Commission Officer

Former Employee - Non-Commissioned Security Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Non-Commissioned Security Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Administration staff was great. Good training, scheduling, & benefits. Well known nationwide. Employee recognition help to build moral. Site supervisors knew they're role.

Cons

Certain accounts needed more employee back ups with training. Hour more people for on call shifts when sites have call ins.

Advice to Management

Encourage officers to get more training when available. This will improve performance and promotion.

2. The most enjoyable job I have ever had.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Easy work, great people to work with, exciting work.

Cons

Too many hours, mandatory overtime for full-time employees, management tries to force you to work extra hours if you're employed at Vanderbilt. Full-time employees also work 12 hour shift very often.

Advice to Management

Don't force employees to work 12 hour shifts almost every day then get surprised when they fall asleep on post.

3. Great company

Current Employee - Bank Protection Officer in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Bank Protection Officer in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at AlliedBarton (More than a year)

Pros

Training is always available to the officers

Cons

Better communication with the office personnel on jobs

5. Consistent company

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time

Pros

Being paid each week is beneficial to many of the guards and posts are generally easy and straightforward.

Cons

Difficult to move from a part time to full time position. Also graveyard positions tend to "lock" your job position in place and management become particularly dependent on this factor. Strongly consider this before taking such position.

Advice to Management

Consider the focus being shifted away from employee hour management and possibly spend more time getting to know employees.

AlliedBarton Security Services Review

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay Local management was great Benefits offered after full-time for a year

Cons

Horrible attendance policy Regional/national management terrible Little work/life balance

Advice to Management

Get rid of the atrocious attendance policy. Hard-working employees should not be fired because they had four absences/late arrivals in a 90-day period. Take value in your employees and back them up.

Patrol Captain

Current Employee - Patrol Captain in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Patrol Captain in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay for this particular site. Plenty of opportunities for overtime. Lucky enough to have a great Client. Work with a decent management team.

Cons

Work life tends to be primary life at this account at times. Sometimes people can fake a good interview and totally suck when on the job, like any other job. This doesn't apply for me or my account, but pay company wise in general could be better.

Advice to Management

Needs to be a better evaluation process with hiring officers, from taking multi questionnaires to evaluate personalities to physical agility tests to better test if their fit for certain positions. This will alleviate workman's comp claims and also help assure the right personalities are met for the customer service necessary for most client sites.

Security Officer

Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co. benefits and high standards

Cons

Not much room for advancement

It all depends on the contract. Some are laid back others are really strict.

Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Washington, DC

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot has changed since Allied merged with Barton years ago. So you have to wear dress shoes which is uncomfortable shoes not like it used to be. For me the income, holiday pay, busy and friendly environment. The hours on the contract are great for those with children, there's a union on this contract and I believe it's because it's a government contract.

Cons

I'm on the Smithsonian contract which is inside the museums in the national mall. The management (not specifically allied barton supervisors but special police management) tend to follow myself and my Co workers around our posts a lot during the slow season. Every once and a while there are pay discrepancies. The uniforms are cheap.

Advice to Management

I would say pick a company with better quality when it comes to the uniforms. Please work on minimizing the pay discrepancies to 0 and add a lot more empathy towards your officers being uncomfortable standing up for 8 hours.

A good stepping stone

Current Employee - Security Officer in Antioch, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Antioch, CA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of your coworkers are really nice and occasionally you get a really cool client with a lot of perks. I happen to have an awesome boss who treats me well and listens to everyone's concerns. The benefits are decent but they vary by district and city. The job is also really easy and its a great for students and retiree's looking for something to do.

Cons

Every client pays you differently and your pay rate is not guaranteed from site to site. As a regular officer you required to join a union and although they offer you benefits after the first 90 days the dues are a killer on your check. Site supervisors do not have to join the union but they do not get the $0.25 raise that regular officers get. Benefits are still offered. Smaller sites do not have a lot of promotion potential and the district office people tend to be a bit snotty.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employee's and treat them like human beings. Don't overwork your district supervisors or they will become monsters to their flex officers.

Security Officer

Pros

Pretty relaxed work environment. Perfect place if you wanted to focus on a college career and obtain degrees. Occasional downtime that makes it easy for you to study.

Cons

There are no cons for me at the moment.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. I love my position

RSS Feed </> Embed