AlliedBarton Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.8
AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Decent pay compared to other security companies (in 22 reviews)

• Current location is very easy work (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Most account managers don't really care about their employees (in 42 reviews)

• No room for advancement, pay grades (in 11 reviews)

Patrol Captain

Current Employee - Patrol Captain in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Patrol Captain in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay for this particular site. Plenty of opportunities for overtime. Lucky enough to have a great Client. Work with a decent management team.

Cons

Work life tends to be primary life at this account at times. Sometimes people can fake a good interview and totally suck when on the job, like any other job. This doesn't apply for me or my account, but pay company wise in general could be better.

Advice to Management

Needs to be a better evaluation process with hiring officers, from taking multi questionnaires to evaluate personalities to physical agility tests to better test if their fit for certain positions. This will alleviate workman's comp claims and also help assure the right personalities are met for the customer service necessary for most client sites.

Security Officer

Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co. benefits and high standards

Cons

Not much room for advancement

AlliedBarton Security Services Review

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good starting pay Local management was great Benefits offered after full-time for a year

Cons

Horrible attendance policy Regional/national management terrible Little work/life balance

Advice to Management

Get rid of the atrocious attendance policy. Hard-working employees should not be fired because they had four absences/late arrivals in a 90-day period. Take value in your employees and back them up.

A good stepping stone

Current Employee - Security Officer in Antioch, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Antioch, CA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of your coworkers are really nice and occasionally you get a really cool client with a lot of perks. I happen to have an awesome boss who treats me well and listens to everyone's concerns. The benefits are decent but they vary by district and city. The job is also really easy and its a great for students and retiree's looking for something to do.

Cons

Every client pays you differently and your pay rate is not guaranteed from site to site. As a regular officer you required to join a union and although they offer you benefits after the first 90 days the dues are a killer on your check. Site supervisors do not have to join the union but they do not get the $0.25 raise that regular officers get. Benefits are still offered. Smaller sites do not have a lot of promotion potential and the district office people tend to be a bit snotty.

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employee's and treat them like human beings. Don't overwork your district supervisors or they will become monsters to their flex officers.

Security Officer

Pros

Pretty relaxed work environment. Perfect place if you wanted to focus on a college career and obtain degrees. Occasional downtime that makes it easy for you to study.

Cons

There are no cons for me at the moment.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. I love my position

It all depends on the contract. Some are laid back others are really strict.

Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Washington, DC

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot has changed since Allied merged with Barton years ago. So you have to wear dress shoes which is uncomfortable shoes not like it used to be. For me the income, holiday pay, busy and friendly environment. The hours on the contract are great for those with children, there's a union on this contract and I believe it's because it's a government contract.

Cons

I'm on the Smithsonian contract which is inside the museums in the national mall. The management (not specifically allied barton supervisors but special police management) tend to follow myself and my Co workers around our posts a lot during the slow season. Every once and a while there are pay discrepancies. The uniforms are cheap.

Advice to Management

I would say pick a company with better quality when it comes to the uniforms. Please work on minimizing the pay discrepancies to 0 and add a lot more empathy towards your officers being uncomfortable standing up for 8 hours.

8. Shift Supervisor

Pros

Provide opportunities of growth internally.

Cons

The time to be able to grow may be long.

9. Good company, but be careful to keep documents of agreements between yourself and supervisors

Former Employee - Professional Security Guard/EMT in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Professional Security Guard/EMT in Tucson, AZ

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Training Program, full time work available

Cons

Promotions came without proper supervisor training or advice of what you might be getting into.

Advice to Management

There are many security professionals that want to do a good job and help the company to succeed. When I was put into a Lieutenant position at a post, I was thrown in with little training and co-workers that were used to doing things the way they wanted to for so long. It was difficult to work with some of these individuals and I didn't get much backing from the upper management. I was forced to resign. I offered my two weeks notice and my site manager was so upset, she told me to go home and leave my lieutenant bars (which I paid for out of pocket) with her. I suspect she chose to say I abandoned my post and fired me, but I cannot prove it. I will never forget that experience.

10. Security Guard

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time

Pros

Additional Training for Hospital work provided by the Company, with compensation. As I was required to commute, I was compensated with travel pay.

Cons

The requirement to commute 50 miles each way to the job site was a huge personal inconvieniance. Frequent changes in management personal made it difficult to keep track of who to report to.

Advice to Management

.A compensation package (particularly base pay) more in line with the real cost of living would be a plus. Better access to management would help.

11. Its ok

Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Dallas, TX

Pros

You get to meet new people, and it has SOME good people on your team.

Cons

You dont have good benefits, some of the workers arent dependable when needed

Advice to Management

Look more into the company before applying

RSS Feed </> Embed