AlliedBarton Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
662 reviews filtered by
2.6
AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Depending on the location, it is decent pay for not having to work very hard (in 22 reviews)

• Current location is very easy work (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The account managers aren't very qualified to head some of the accounts (in 42 reviews)

• There is so much room for advancement that you can easily advance beyond your skill set (in 11 reviews)

I've had an alright time here

Current Employee - Security Supervisor in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Security Supervisor in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at AlliedBarton (more than a year)

Pros

There is no micro managing

Cons

Hours and pay could be better

employees need motivation

2. What you put into it you will get out of it.

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Much opportunity for advancement if you make your self available and apply yourself. Very big on promoting from within.

Cons

To many initiatives rolled out all at once. No time for managers in the field to acclimate to changes before another one comes along. Redundancy with request for the same information over and over again. Poor communication and direction with the implementation of new initiatives.

Not all branches run the same due to logistics and staffing. Cookie cutter approach is detrimental to operations if not designed with the ability to be modified when necessary. If you are looking to live for a job this is it. You have to be willing to dedicate yourself to after hours activities.

3. This company strives for the best, and requires all its employees to Dare to Be Great.

Current Employee - District Trainer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - District Trainer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company offers a great benefit package, and employment advancement

Cons

Many clients of this company expectation can be over compensative

My advice to management will be to treat your employees like humans

Not bad, but not a career.

Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at AlliedBarton part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work schedule fit well with my life schedule since I was a night-owl anyway. However, this not everyone gets night shift.

Cons

The rules and policies are a bit ridiculous. Mandatory overtime if requested and you have to sit there and do nothing for your entire shift if you work access control, you cannot even have a book with you.

Consider paying your employees more since you make so much on them per contract.

6. I love my job. Management is super nice. Flexible hours like any other job.

Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Appleton, WI

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Get to see the in's and out's of all kinds of different companies
    Great first step for experience in the security field
    Chance to get lots of professional references with company executive types if you do your job well

Cons

Pay Caps at about 10-10.50 in Wisconsin
    Cheap uniforms
    Usually incompetent co workers
    Barely any advancement opportunities

There's not much management can change actually.

7. Have you standing outside like a dog for 10 hours in all of the Elements.

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Its good if you like to meet new people.

Cons

10 hours standing in all Elements.

8. Security guard

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Good job good benefits supplied with everything needed for the job

Cons

Low pay to start off

Average Company, low pay.

Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible and military friendly. Good for experience building, definitely not a longterm career solution at the security officer level.

Cons

Low opportunities for upward mobility and pay increases. Company will put a anything with a pulse in a uniform and call it a security officer.

Be more proactive. Your level of pay and the company's experience requirements for SOs leads to the employment of subpar employees with very little loyalty to the company, so expect drama. You want better employees, pay higher wages and develop a better reward system for training. The online classes are a good idea, however, handing out a "pin" and "flashlight" for completing over 5 hours worth of classes that are at some sites a requirement and not compensating the employee, is extremely disheartening and disrespectful.

A simple job with lots of walking and interactions with a wide array of interesting characters.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The potential for a four day work week. Keep in shape by walking around 13 miles a day. The job/online training is plentiful and easy. The core ethics of Alliedbarton are great and worth following.

Cons

People will eventually have a bad day and want to take it out on you. At my site I feel spread thin as we have one officer per four city blocks crime happens and you just can't be everywhere. No real growth potential, if you are good in the position you are currently working you become hard to replace. Barely a living wage if you are single, with kids I don't know how I could make ends meet. Work holidays. It is hard to get time off. Company employee porthole requires Silverlite.

Upper management, you have allot of good middle managers who are over worked and under paid. Either culture more middle managers from your officer pool or compensate your middle managers for their hard work. Similarly our GREAT font line officers also should be paid better as of 2015 I figure a $1.50 raise for officers who do their job are in order to compete with the recent up-tick in wages from other industry leaders in the service sector. Managers I realize this is a business and the AM training for wage increase is logical but how would we react to losing more good officers than we can train? We need more part-time employees on our account, our AM says we are getting PTEs however that prophecy has yet to be fulfilled.

Plenty of opportunities to move up... you just have to be a favorite.

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time (less than a year)

Pros

depending on where you are stationed (which you don't get to choose) you will get paid good. To work security at a place like Time Warner for example you will get paid about $11-$12/ hr. Plenty of opportunities for promotions... you just have to be a favorite. They do try to work with you to the best of their abilities whenever you need a hand with scheduling.

Cons

Favoritism and it feels way too much like high school (even the managers gossip like high school girls in a bathroom)