AlliedBarton
www.alliedbarton.com Conshohocken, PA 5000+ Employees

AlliedBarton Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.

Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros:
  • "work perks, decent pay, all over the nation"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Allied Barton customers are the best, easy work"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The site I worked at went through three different account managers over the course of three months"
    in 31 reviews
  • "There is so much room for advancement that you can easily advance beyond your skill set"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very large, decent company

Security Officer/Receptionist (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood account managers. They work with their employees and communicate with them well.

Good pay for CLEARED supervisors and receptionists.

Overtime is available for most accounts.

Yearly raises.

On the job training.

ConsUgly, old-fashioned uniforms.

Low pay for uncleared accounts, which results in low quality employees and high turnover.

Benefits are minimum and not great.

Lack of trust between management and employees because of low-quality employee mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay just a bit so you can hire some good quality employees and reduce turnover.

Offer some better benefits, like more vacation time and higher quality health insurance.

Collect and consider some suggestions from lower level employees.

Peaks and valleys

Security Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than a year

ProsAllied tries hard to promote from within rather than hire supervisor positions externally

ConsAllied's benefits are not good, their payroll department seems to be staffed with monkeys who can't properly enter information off of a W-4 (I claimed 0 exceptions like most single adults with no children; they entered 4 and I wasn't taxed enough by the federal government. I owed $1100 at tax time as a result), and some contracts are so poorly drawn up that essential things like raises simply do not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. You've grown your business to the point where you no longer need to lean on your clients to provide you with the money to pay your employees. Respect those who work for you.

2.7 Stars... Allied Barton Has Earned It ! No regard or respect for it's employees.

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay check on time. That is it.
Looking forward to resign from this fly -by-night company and work for a company that has it together..

ConsLow pay, poor benefits, no work / life balance, no raises based on merit or time employed, no advancement based on experience, education or skills. Advancement only given if your one of the good ole boys or a relative / friend of their client. Human resources is almost non-existent and provides almost no support to non-management employees. Owned by Blackstone Corp, Allied Barton is one of the worst and most unprofessional companies to work for. This is my personal opinion based on observations and experience with this firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you are a group of management that is the worst of the worst, please stay employed with Allied Barton.. Society and business does not need you in position with good companies. Please stay where you are at.... Do it for the good of the U.S.A. Thank you.

It was an easy job and the people I worked with were pretty laid back

Control Room Operator (Former Employee)
Milpitas, CA

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time for less than a year

ProsA very easy job, very easy money. Great boss at my site. If you work the weekdays you should probably have good multi tasking skills because it can at time get slightly chaotic. But the weekends are easy.

ConsSlightly boring, the pay was decent but not enough to comfortably survive in the Bay Area if you want a house, career or family

Advice to Senior ManagementMore uniform training for all employees

Not bad depending on Location

Atlantic City, NJ

I have been working at AlliedBarton part-time for more than a year

ProsThe businesses AlliedBarton has contracts with are basically old folk homes, restaurants and hospitals. Easy going and minimal stress. They work around my other full-time jobs hours.

ConsThey pay is low. No yearly raises. Working at a hospital as security for 10.00/hr. is definitely not worth it. No Overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the wages. Give yearly raises. I work at a location in Atlantic City, and for the threatening situations I've been I've seriously considered quitting because I am not ready to get stabbed for 9 dollars an hour. Especially when I'm not aloud to carry pepper spray.

wasted 3.5 yrs of my life.

Security Officer (Former Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 3 years

ProsClient/customer personnel. A work boots and blue jeans work environment where we all work together. Mutual respect, and co-operation. Client/customer personnel never disrespect you because your "just a security guard".

ConsAllied Barton management. No matter how well you do your job. No matter how faithful you are. You are worth no more than last weeks newspaper. You only exist to be the fall guy if something goes wrong. Expect NO support from A B management!!! HR only exists to provide cover for management. Once they come gunning for you, you are done. Years of exemplary service, awards, accolades, mean NOTHING!!! When they are done with you, you are done. Once they are done with you, they will do their best to see you never find employment again. Allied Barton Management is a place for small minded, non-productive people, with no marketable skills to establish minor fiefdoms where they can wield undeserved power over basically powerless people. People who only want to do their job, for pitiful compensation, and be left alone to do their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy? The business model is what it is. The uniformed officer is nothing more than a name to be placed in a slot to fill the schedule. The cheaper the better. The customer be damned, the PRIME DIRECTIVE of management is CUT COST!!!! Lower wages mean more profit for the company, and the managers bonus.

Good interim job, not a good career

GSOC Operator (Current Employee)
Foster City, CA

ProsDecent to good pay
Easy work
Lots of options for employment with different contract sites
Good way to network with client employees
Generally lots of over-time opportunities

ConsIndecisive management
Management easily compromises operational procedures to preserve image
Management would rather ignore issues than confront them
Training at the site level is not re-enforced
Co-workers are generally unmotivated and not responsive to training
Promotions are based on relationships over experience or competency

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what happens at the lowest levels and focus on professionalism of officers that directly engage with the client rather than just the higher levels. Promote and recognize officers based on vision and motivation rather than ability to fly under the radar.

Easy money, Not a career move

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Proseasy money not a lot of work

Consnot a very professional company, not consistent hours

not bad

Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time for less than a year

Prosbosses communicate they try to work with you, hold thier managers accountable. Did not make big deal of a mistake I made

Conspromotions a little to clicky

Advice to Senior Managementpay needs to account for new minimum wage. Soon alot of gaurds will make less than minimum. Soon flipping burgers at macdonalds will pay more. Just think all that free cholesterol.

Great employees

Security Officer (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time for more than 3 years

Prostheir are ok ok ok

Consthey dont llike to give raise increases

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to award employees for doing a good job

Worked for AlliedBarton? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AlliedBarton reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AlliedBarton CEO Bill Whitmore Jr. All 357 reviews posted anonymously by AlliedBarton employees.