AlliedBarton

AlliedBarton Reviews

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
2.7

AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Depending on the location, it is decent pay for not having to work very hard (in 22 reviews)

• Current location is very easy work (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The account managers aren't very qualified to head some of the accounts (in 42 reviews)

• There is so much room for advancement that you can easily advance beyond your skill set (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Hanging onto job is difficult

Current Employee - Security Officer in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Still working, barely. Not much good to say except that I love the people that we serve, and they like me. Facilities are pleasant.

Cons

Turnover rate is 86 %. Schedules are changed midweek. Very few hours for me, but favorite employees get more than anybody else. These favorite employees also resemble the seargent in looks so much that they could be family. Employees with a year under their belt start getting moved around and eventually they leave. A miserable pack of liars is running this account.

Your company already has a reputation and strangers have told me "they feel sorry for me". Many, many people in the midlands have experienced the unfair treatment, too.
    Something should be done before they are charged with discrimination or worse, because AlliedBarton at the BCBSSC account is asking for a law suit. Who's getting the breaks $$ by hiring so many people? All we get is the boot.

This company is a pleasure to work for.

Current Employee - Armed Security Officer in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Armed Security Officer in Wayne, PA

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

-Largest Private Security Company in the United States
    -They focus on identifying dedicated, hard-working employees and always look to promote from within.

Cons

-Benefits offered are below average.

In order to improve day-to-day operations of the company, I feel that Account Managers and Scheduling Supervisors need to more effectively communicate with their officers. They can achieve this simply by being more transparent and upfront with officers regarding their posts and scheduling.

You get out what you put in.

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Great company values and culture.

Cons

Communicating with management and the micromanaging

Follow through with officer concerns

Best training in industry

Current Employee - Security Officer - Administrative in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Security Officer - Administrative in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We are a highly regarded security company nation wide

Cons

Need to offier best officers more overtime and have annual reviews with cost of living adjustments.

Over a decade with the same company, I've worked my way up to a management level

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ability for growth, job security, Great culture

Cons

Politics like most other companies will dictate how quickly you move up and/or how much salary you will receive.

Instead of internal memos etc. Take the time and invest in our bench strength and don't have it feel so generic. Also, truly believe in your core strength and limit your hiring from the outside when you have great talent internally.

Poor management

Former Employee - Security Guard in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at AlliedBarton

Pros

The job was very easy, but boring.

Cons

Work weekends and every holiday. No pay raises.

Do your job

Team Work

Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Columbus, GA

I worked at AlliedBarton

Pros

Greattach company to work for

Cons

Insurance is not that good

Honestly, could've been better

Former Employee - Security Officer in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Lancaster, PA

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's not a difficult job. Anybody with an IQ of at least room temperature could do this job. It's also not physically challenging, and you can sit around reading or watching a movie, which is nice. There isn't a lot of supervision, so you can get away with a lot of stuff. If you're alone, it can get very lonely.

Cons

You work really weird hours. If you want dayshift, you won't find it here. The pay is also subpar for the industry, and hasn't changed in at least five years. Their benefits are minimal at best.

Pay better, treat your employees better, and try to take better contracts.

A useless company and profession

Current Employee - Security Officer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

Its a glorified part timers paradise. Its a great place for college students, high school students, and full time employees at other companies who might want an easy part time gig on the weekends.

Cons

Security is not a career and its not a true profession, unless of course you have high tier military training but then you wouldn't be working for some slouch company like Allied Barton. You would be working for a company like Blackwater and making a six figure salary.

Allied Barton has horrible turn over rates, they do a poor job filling openings, many of the people who work in the company are highly under-qualified and that is what you get when your pay, benefits, and training standards are low. Allied does not give you any skills that you can show off on a resume, and most employers outside of security look at security experience as a cancer stigma since they assume most who work in security are bottom feeders who just want to collect a little money while they sleep. In fact most of Allied's clients will view their security officers as this, and assume that most security officers are only good to through under the bus as scapegoats whenever the opportunity arises, and valuable for nothing else.

Our company constantly locks in contracts at the lowest rates possible, which means for no pay raises or healthcare benies. All so they can have another number on some portfolio to show off to investors and the bank that bought them out in 2008.

Managers are mafia styled dictators but with no common sense or education. They often move up from the security officer position after sitting in it for ten plus years where guess what they learned nothing of value that would make them a beneficial manager. Had one manager who lied to use and told us overtime wasn't available because our client and company wouldn't allow it, all so he could get his yearly bonus from AB for staying in budget. When he left surprise surprise guess what was available all of a sudden, Over Time. He often lied about other stuff to keep us in check or form finding out how things were really supposed to work, but we don't have all day so I will move on.

New hires, most new guys come into the company thinking they will earn enough graces to move to some account where they can be armed or given more responsibilities. However, the company rarely transfers people, so they can contain how horrible the company is from spreading to other sites. Thus they will treat you like a sicknes. Also new hires are often shocked to learn that security and safety are often not even considerations or prioriteis by AB or its clients. They learn what we all learn that most managers don't have the mindset, consideration, intelligent, or will to express the need for either to their clients or superiors.

Either way don't take a job with AB unless you need the money or are in school. It is a horrible and delusional place to be.

You'r security officers, including me, view you and you'r attempts to communicate with use as a joke. To us you'r just a let down and phoneys.

If your a college student and have bills this a great company to work

Current Employee - Security Guard in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Security Guard in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at AlliedBarton

Pros

good pay, flex hours, a lot of down time for school work

Cons

Nothing Everything is good, well so far

everything is great keep up the good work